Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Seats- now resolved (base transplant)

Post Reply
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 11047
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

E89 Seats- help please

Post by john-e89 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:38 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:31 pm
IRD wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:28 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:10 pm Well, this all sounds like a right pain it the backside that I'm glad I'm not tackling :rofl:
You’re sure you didn’t sabotage the seats just to add a bit of a challenge for Stuart? 😀
:exitright:
:rofl:
Ahh now I’m going to have to wade in and defend Nige here Ian, he absolutely did not sabotage those seats…. :thumbsup:


…he got someone else to do it….. :o
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Online
IRD
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2643
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:41 pm
Location: Lincoln

E89 Seats- help please

Post by IRD » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:40 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:25 pm
bigwinn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:12 pm Every day is a school day
It will be with Ian (and Angela). Old habits die hard!
My daughter is still teaching. From what she tells me things are very different in schools to when we were there. We are both very happy being retired. 👍

AnubisZed
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1775
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

E89 Seats- help please

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:03 pm

It was great to meet Stuart today, and really nice seeing Ian again.
Shame we couldn't get them sorted 100% today, but I'm sure it'll be all working once Stuart applies the canbus wires :thumbsup:

So pleased it stopped raining before I left, the roads were terrible on the way over :driving:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Online
IRD
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2643
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:41 pm
Location: Lincoln

E89 Seats- help please

Post by IRD » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:24 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:03 pm It was great to meet Stuart today, and really nice seeing Ian again.
Shame we couldn't get them sorted 100% today, but I'm sure it'll be all working once Stuart applies the canbus wires :thumbsup:

So pleased it stopped raining before I left, the roads were terrible on the way over :driving:
Thanks again Dave. It was good to see you too. Well let you know the outcome.👍

User avatar
Usel
Member
Member
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:59 am

E89 Seats- help please

Post by Usel » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:12 am

bigwinn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:25 pm Also- we surmised that the coding would only have helped the memory functions on the seat, if I had resolved the power supply issue first the seats would have moved but memory functions would not have worked

In addition- the E85 heated seat fallback fault check is not the same on E89- the switches lit up to say 'circuit OK' but they didn't heat up??? On an E85 the lights would have gone out within a second to say open circuit
Glad you managed to get the passenger seat moving, I thought it was strange you couldn't get it moving, so assumed it would be lack of wiring on the car side as to why it wasn't working.

Regarding heating, the e89 has the brain under the seat compared to the e85 which has it with the buttons. To make e89 seats heat in an e85 you remove the brain from the seat.

User avatar
Zed Baron
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:17 am
Location: Scotland

E89 Seats- help please

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:25 am

I remember Clarke63 successfully fitting power seats into an E89 that didn't originally them, I'll see if I can find the post
Image

User avatar
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4599
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:13 pm
Location: Lincoln UK
Contact:

E89 Seats- help please

Post by bigwinn » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:21 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:25 am I remember Clarke63 successfully fitting power seats into an E89 that didn't originally them, I'll see if I can find the post
Would be great if you can!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Image


EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Online
User avatar
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5341
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

E89 Seats- help please

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:33 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:25 am I remember Clarke63 successfully fitting power seats into an E89 that didn't originally them, I'll see if I can find the post
He did, a car I had for a short period :oops: :rofl:

    G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

    User avatar
    Zed Baron
    Senior Member
    Senior Member
    Posts: 1602
    Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:17 am
    Location: Scotland

    E89 Seats- help please

    Post by Zed Baron » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:08 am

    I forgot you bought it Andy, so long ago now :oldman:
    Image

    User avatar
    Zed Baron
    Senior Member
    Senior Member
    Posts: 1602
    Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:17 am
    Location: Scotland

    E89 Seats- help please

    Post by Zed Baron » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:12 am

    bigwinn wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:21 pm
    Zed Baron wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:25 am I remember Clarke63 successfully fitting power seats into an E89 that didn't originally them, I'll see if I can find the post
    Would be great if you can!
    Here you go, viewtopic.php?t=92671
    Image

    User avatar
    bigwinn
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Posts: 4599
    Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:13 pm
    Location: Lincoln UK
    Contact:

    E89 Seats- help please

    Post by bigwinn » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:20 am

    Zed Baron wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:12 am
    bigwinn wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:21 pm
    Zed Baron wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:25 am I remember Clarke63 successfully fitting power seats into an E89 that didn't originally them, I'll see if I can find the post
    Would be great if you can!
    Here you go, viewtopic.php?t=92671
    Much appreciated!
    If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

    Image


    EWS Delete PM me
    Coding- airbags etc PM me

    True-Blue
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Posts: 3189
    Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:10 pm
    Location: Bristol/Bath

    E89 Seats- help please

    Post by True-Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:28 am

    Admire the dedication and teamwork here, but this seems like a lot of effort just for electric seats :o

    Heated, I get completely, but I’ve never seen electric seats as a ‘must have’ really.

    To be fair, this seems like a sensible and modest project compared to the replacement of the instrument cluster with an LED Tv in the banana coloured space shuttle.

    I hope you get this sorted ASAP Ian :thumbsup:
    Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

    Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

    User avatar
    B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Posts: 5373
    Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:15 pm
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

    E89 Seats- help please

    Post by B21 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:34 am

    True-Blue wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:28 am Admire the dedication and teamwork here, but this seems like a lot of effort just for electric seats :o

    Heated, I get completely, but I’ve never seen electric seats as a ‘must have’ really.

    To be fair, this seems like a sensible and modest project compared to the replacement of the instrument cluster with an LED Tv in the banana coloured space shuttle.

    I hope you get this sorted ASAP Ian :thumbsup:
    :thumbsup: :tumbleweed: :rofl:
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.. :tumbleweed: a very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

    True-Blue
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Posts: 3189
    Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:10 pm
    Location: Bristol/Bath

    E89 Seats- help please

    Post by True-Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:50 am

    B21 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:34 am
    True-Blue wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:28 am Admire the dedication and teamwork here, but this seems like a lot of effort just for electric seats :o

    Heated, I get completely, but I’ve never seen electric seats as a ‘must have’ really.

    To be fair, this seems like a sensible and modest project compared to the replacement of the instrument cluster with an LED Tv in the banana coloured space shuttle.

    I hope you get this sorted ASAP Ian :thumbsup:
    :thumbsup: :tumbleweed: :rofl:
    I genuinely hope you really enjoy your new display after the massive headache you’re having… my new company car has this type of thing fitted from the factory and it’s useful to a point.

    1st world problems …and all that :thumbsup: :rofl:
    Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

    Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

    User avatar
    Usel
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 848
    Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:59 am

    E89 Seats- help please

    Post by Usel » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:05 am

    True-Blue wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:28 am Admire the dedication and teamwork here, but this seems like a lot of effort just for electric seats :o

    Heated, I get completely, but I’ve never seen electric seats as a ‘must have’ really.

    To be fair, this seems like a sensible and modest project compared to the replacement of the instrument cluster with an LED Tv in the banana coloured space shuttle.

    I hope you get this sorted ASAP Ian :thumbsup:
    It didn't start off seeming like it would be a huge task :rofl:

    I fully understand why Ian personally wants the electric seats but I'll leave that to him to explain if he so wishes but it's fully justified and worth the effort.

    Luckily Stuart and I weirdly enjoy these problems to overcome as long as the end result is fully functional :D

    Post Reply