Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Comfortable Runflats?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Comfortable Runflats?

Post by ksher » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:19 pm

shambolic wrote:
Kryton wrote:I think the new runflat's are fantastic on the E89, even in sport mode it's a better ride than my old E85 :)
X2 the Bridgestones on the E89 are not that bad at all, barely harder than the SLK with non runflats we had before :thumbsup:
X3. My 23i M Sport now goes round the bumpy corner without tramlining. E85 was unstable through the same corner.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

daviddi

Post by daviddi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:23 pm

I too have gone over two PS2 ZP , what an amazing improvement to the bridgestones, managed to get 20 thou from front. 22 thou from rears and were still legal so will be more than happy if michelin do the same :driving:

BSVA

Post by BSVA » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:42 pm

gannet wrote::P

As I've said before the Michelin ZP are far more comfortable than the standard Bridgestones - my car was transformed in many (if not all) of the ways the people who have ditched RFT rave about. Just not many people believe me :)

on cost though I wouldn't call them relatively cheap :o
Been over a year on my Michelin ZP's and would not swap for anything else. Great handling and ride, no tramlining. Worth every penny.
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Ellipsoids,
Continental ProContact RX SSR's.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:55 pm

glad to hear some voices of support about the michelins 8)

Good also to hear of some others (Continental) that also improve things...

oh decisions as my rear michelins are getting low :?

Question to those that got 20k on the bridgestones.... HOW? I got just over 9k before changing was required... or do you run them until the wear indicator or change before at 3mm as recommended by BMW (and others) for the fat tyres??

hmm... just checked actually done 16.5k on the michelins so far and still a little above 3mm - not bad :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:44 am

Heck, I got 30K miles on my Bridgestones. Checked every year at State Inspection by the dealer. Hoping to get half again more on the Michelins.
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

BSVA

Post by BSVA » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:27 am

Gannet, you must have a "heavy foot" on those tires. I got over 32,000 from the the Bridgestones, (glad they're gone though).
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Ellipsoids,
Continental ProContact RX SSR's.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:11 am

BSVA wrote:Gannet, you must have a "heavy foot" on those tires. I got over 32,000 from the the Bridgestones, (glad they're gone though).
maybe you just have super smooth roads :?
-- Gannet.

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:19 pm

gannet wrote:
BSVA wrote:Gannet, you must have a "heavy foot" on those tires. I got over 32,000 from the the Bridgestones, (glad they're gone though).
maybe you just have super smooth roads :?
You've obviously never driven in Virginia, lol. All in all, though, roads are pretty good on this side of the pond. There are a few stinkers, though, like I-85 just north of the North Carolina line. Mercy.
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

richard100

Post by richard100 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:20 pm

gannet wrote:
powerontap wrote:Asking for comfortable frunflats is the same thing as asking for an amiable mother-in-law
see what I mean when I say people dont believe :roll:

have you tried anything other than the bridgestones :?

Don't suppose you would believe me if I said my mother-in-law is also amiable :evil:
Sorry I didn't get back earlier - been on hols. I live in Lancs, so a bit of a trek away. Think I'll give the Michelins a try, but will wait until Costco have their next 4 for the price of 3 deal - it's well worth it.

PS. my mother-in-law is also amiable :D

14th BMW

Post by 14th BMW » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Another recommendation for the Michelin ZPs :thumbsup: Had to ditch the Bridgestones after 10k because of the violent behavior on the hiway. I really don't understand why BMW continues to put Bridgestones RFTs on their cars when the Michelins are SOOOO superior. They do use the Michelins and the Contis on some cars, but it looks like all the Zs get Bridgestones. I agree in general with their reason for Run Flats, the safety thing, but BMW needs to ditch the Bridgestones.

BTW, you might want to jump on the Michelin thing ASAP, since they are having a $70 rebate right now; got mine from Tire Rack (as well as a set of PS2 A/S for the wife's X3).

Freude am Fahren (und nicht Hals und Bein Brechen mit Bridgestones)... :driving:
Driving: 15th X3(F25) & soon 16th Z4(E89) BMW's
Retired: 14 BMW's (1800, 2002, E30x3, E34, E36x2, E39x2, E46, E83x2, E85)
Current: 8 BMW's in Family

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:07 pm

gannet wrote: As I've said before the Michelin ZP are far more comfortable than the standard Bridgestones - my car was transformed in many (if not all) of the ways the people who have ditched RFT rave about. Just not many people believe me :)

After all of gannet's propaganda I was curious as to how good they really were... at the Kent Sussex meet he kindly to me for a quick trip round the block, am happy to report the much ballyhooed Michelins lived up to their billing! They did ride a little firmer than non-rfts but I quite like that, and they weren't crashy.

:thumbsup:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:03 pm

PawnSacrifice wrote:
gannet wrote: As I've said before the Michelin ZP are far more comfortable than the standard Bridgestones - my car was transformed in many (if not all) of the ways the people who have ditched RFT rave about. Just not many people believe me :)

After all of gannet's propaganda I was curious as to how good they really were... at the Kent Sussex meet he kindly to me for a quick trip round the block, am happy to report the much ballyhooed Michelins lived up to their billing! They did ride a little firmer than non-rfts but I quite like that, and they weren't crashy.

:thumbsup:
'twas a pleasure to take you for a spin :thumbsup:

offer stands to anyone within reasonable distance if they want a similar ride to compare etc or on another meet :D
-- Gannet.