Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen Seals

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
SUUNTOBOB

Windscreen Seals

Post by SUUNTOBOB » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:18 am

Hi
I have just had a new windscreen fitted by AA auto windscreens this is the result :-
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/g15ki924avdv ... g35Bev4aJa
Has anyone else had similar problems, they are coming back tomorrow to take a look. It would be nice to be armed with a bit of experience.
Thanks in advance
Z4 Roadster 3.0Si gone :( :(
325 SE Auto Steptronic E90 gone :( :(

Terryvision
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Windscreen Seals

Post by Terryvision » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:34 am

That's not right! Clearly not an OEM seal, make sure they fit an OEM seal when they return! :headbang:
Do a forum search you will see lots of horror stories regarding screen seals! :o

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:47 am

Had exactly the same problem. It's always due to them using a cheap pattern part seal, rather than the real deal.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

rookie975

Post by rookie975 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:55 pm

Yeah that's definitely not right!

I'm one of the unfortunate ones that had a similar experience. I bought a genuine seal from BMW and got the company to fit the windscreen again.

03 3.0i Grey Roadster|Xenons|Carver Hifi|Pro Nav|Heated Electric Leather Sport Seats|Heated Folding Mirrors|Bluetooth|Cruise Control|Sport Steering Wheel|202 Ellipsoids|De-Gingered|OTH+R

GP06Roadster

Post by GP06Roadster » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:56 pm

IIRC Bing posted about this a few months ago. I think he managed to get them to use OEM seals. I wouldn't be accepting that fit.
E86 3.0si Manual

sniffer

Post by sniffer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi,

I had a new screen put into my ///M a few months ago by autoglass. I requested an original BMW screen which took them weeks to source.

The fitter arrived and I noticed the seal was not original and when the fitter tried to fit it to the screen on his bench, it didn't fit properly and kept falling off.

I told the fitter not to bother and to get an original seal to match the original screen or I would likely reject the end result which would be a waste of the OE screen because it would likely crack when they tried to remove it to refit.

Head office argued a little but they managed to get a OE seal and the fitter arrived back that afternoon. To be honest, the OE seal was better but still not wonderful.

I helped the engineer fit the screen and it was a pig, a lot of it is down to the skill and patience of the fitter to get the screen in the best position when fitting it into the arpeture. My engineer was excellent and took a lot of time to get it right.

sniffer

Post by sniffer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi,

I had a new screen put into my ///M a few months ago by autoglass. I requested an original BMW screen which took them weeks to source.

The fitter arrived and I noticed the seal was not original and when the fitter tried to fit it to the screen on his bench, it didn't fit properly and kept falling off.

I told the fitter not to bother and to get an original seal to match the original screen or I would likely reject the end result which would be a waste of the OE screen because it would likely crack when they tried to remove it to refit.

Head office argued a little but they managed to get a OE seal and the fitter arrived back that afternoon. To be honest, the OE seal was better but still not wonderful.

I helped the engineer fit the screen and it was a pig, a lot of it is down to the skill and patience of the fitter to get the screen in the best position when fitting it into the arpeture. My engineer was excellent and took a lot of time to get it right.

oli445

Post by oli445 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:48 pm

I'm having a new screen on Friday by auto glass. I had an interesting conversation where the girl on the phone told me they refit the original seal - I told her that was impossible and after going round and round in circles, I'll just pay the £20 and get the proper seal :headbang:

Anyone have the part number handy? :thumbsup:

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:33 pm

ive posted about this too, its s**t aftermarket seals, the oem one has the joint in the same place but is not split. if anyone needs a new screen to avoid this stump up the cash and buy one yourself if you think they wont fit oem. im on my 3rd screen in just over a year due to poor fitting and crap seals
Proud Whip owner ;)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:01 pm

Cowboy job. Get it replaced.

xedbot

Windscreen Seals

Post by xedbot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Last edited by xedbot on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:20 am

Is there anything special about that seal? from what i know about it, its just trim. The windscreen should be fully sealed.

When i pulled my old one out (cracking rubber) it came out with no problem and i just wedged the new one in.

PN on OEM #1 for my car. (2003 Z4, 3.0i)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=51&fg=20

SUUNTOBOB

Post by SUUNTOBOB » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:35 am

Thanks for the feedback Gents,
I'll hopefully get this sorted today
Z4 Roadster 3.0Si gone :( :(
325 SE Auto Steptronic E90 gone :( :(

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:21 am

JohnnyC wrote:Is there anything special about that seal? from what i know about it, its just trim. The windscreen should be fully sealed.

When i pulled my old one out (cracking rubber) it came out with no problem and i just wedged the new one in.

PN on OEM #1 for my car. (2003 Z4, 3.0i)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=51&fg=20

i may be wrong but i think they put the seal/trim on the window then glue the whole lot down to the car. so in some cases its may come off in others it doesnt. one thing is for certain for me: autoglass did a much better job than national. they were going to do the whole ask the insurers for permission etc to use the bmw surround but it was going to take time so i just bought it myself for £20 after speaking to the local fitter.

the car looks better, sounds daft i know but but given the history.... so national fitted No1 and it whistled above 50 & had the shonkey surround. No2 was fitted and the surround went shonkey in a few months but didnt wistle. change of insurance = change of fitter and No3, the current one, was done by autoglass. (i kknow it was only 8 months since the last one but i didnt trust national) auto glass reckoned the old screen was too far up and too far off the frame, probably why it cracked. theirs does look much better.

i would also check up on a vin checker what screen you have as the one fitted to my car is not the one the computer says i should have. the vin checker shows the one that is fitted now but autoglass' system quoted a different one. something about a strip at the top and the tint color or summat??? i dont remember
Proud Whip owner ;)

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:50 am

The seal is actually just trim. It's purely cosmetic. That said, being a cosmetic part, you don't expect it to crack and split.

I guess they could re-use the old one if they needed to. Depends if it gets split on removal.

I need to ring autoglass about mine. Not looking forward to that after the comments in here.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.