Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Console aluminium trim replacement

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
powerontap

Console aluminium trim replacement

Post by powerontap » Sat May 03, 2008 5:38 pm

I want to replace my aluminium trim on the center console but don't know how. I have the BMW TIS CD but just can't find the step-by-step procedure and tools required. Also, the trim I found doesn't have the two holes (sport/air bag) so I wondered if anyone has had the same situation and drilled the trim to accomodate. thanks
Go Topless

Wondermike

Re: Console aluminium trim replacement

Post by Wondermike » Sat May 03, 2008 8:08 pm

Have a look here http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37399 it's not easy but it is possible. Sure you could drill the holes too, no problem.

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Sat May 03, 2008 10:57 pm

Well, this option is out of the question for me. No wonder the procedure is not on the TIS Dealer CD, even the engineers haven't figured out a practical way of replacing the trim!!!

Option B: Ayone found a way to visually reduce the scratches from that aluminium trim? Looks like there's a clear coat or something covering it. I've tried different delicate metal cleaners etc...but no positive results yet.

Option C: A flat dash kit. I know these won't completely cover the OEM pieces (stops before the curves), kind' of "two tone" appearance. Has anyone used this approach? aluminium over aluminim? or contrasting finishes?
Go Topless

JackB1

Post by JackB1 » Thu May 08, 2008 3:42 am

powerontap wrote:Well, this option is out of the question for me. No wonder the procedure is not on the TIS Dealer CD, even the engineers haven't figured out a practical way of replacing the trim!!!

Option B: Ayone found a way to visually reduce the scratches from that aluminium trim? Looks like there's a clear coat or something covering it. I've tried different delicate metal cleaners etc...but no positive results yet.

Option C: A flat dash kit. I know these won't completely cover the OEM pieces (stops before the curves), kind' of "two tone" appearance. Has anyone used this approach? aluminium over aluminim? or contrasting finishes?

20Ducks has a discussion going on right now covering this - check it out!

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4549

:oldman:
Best!
Jack
BMWCCA / ZSCCA /OZark Z Club / Sunshine CruZers
Homecoming 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
2005 Z4 3.0 6SP Black Sapphire Metallic

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Thu May 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Hey, first time I actually see what those aftermarket overlays look like when installed. I had samples of silver and balck carbon fiber samples shipped to me, but I wondered how the "framed look" of the aluminium under would look like once installed. I am seriously considering the silver carbon fiber overlays now that I've seen the pic of the woodgrain version posted. I think the moderate contrast between aluminium/silver carbon could look unique while keeping the sport look I am looking for.
Go Topless

marriedblonde

Post by marriedblonde » Fri May 16, 2008 2:07 pm

I've just ordered a replacement carbon dash for my coupe, it's for the dash, console and door pulls. It's a complete replacement.

Should be with me in about 10 days but I am off to thailand for 10 das after that so it wont be until June that Ipost up some pics.

J.
Married and blonde, yes. But also a guy with a poor taste in usernames.

Reach

Post by Reach » Fri May 16, 2008 7:54 pm

How much is a new carbon dash and panels? Aluminum? Part # for these anyone?

I might consider one day replacing my fading aluminum trim with the M 'carbon' stuff.

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Fri May 16, 2008 11:25 pm

Here are two of the links I have found: http://www.dashkit.com/classic/products ... index.html as well as http://burlwooddash.com/category/BMW_Z3Z4Z6_Dash_Kits.

The first one sells a kit that does not use a promoter (kind word for Crazy Glue), so it has a special 3M tape that doesn't need one. The benefit of this is that you can remove the trim in the future if you wish to do so. Almost every other brands of kits I found use the promoter in combination with double sided tape. So it's a PERMANENT installation. The pieces in back of the trim will be damaged if you remove them.
Last edited by powerontap on Sun May 18, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Topless

Reach

Post by Reach » Sat May 17, 2008 3:55 pm

I was thinking of the oem pieces... curious if anyone has part #s.

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun May 18, 2008 2:45 am

Reach wrote:I was thinking of the oem pieces... curious if anyone has part #s.
Ebay has the center console listed for $99 plus S&H.