Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Who can fix my roof?

Stevo1987

Who can fix my roof?

Post by Stevo1987 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:56 am

javis20 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:39 am Then it's probably a broken wire...
Yes, I know that :) Getting access to the wiring is an issue with the roof in the position it is.
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Who can fix my roof?

Post by flybobbie » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:18 am

With all the knowledge on the forum now, print of repairs and take to indy or auto electrician.
My experience, be it a bit limited, with BMW they don't even research their own bulletins to repair or cure problem.
Problem i had was cured by a 20 year old bulletin i found on the internet, pre E89..
I thought dealers would have access to a central data base of problems, or am i expecting too much.
I bet this AI thing would give quicker answer.

simnew

Who can fix my roof?

Post by simnew » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:02 am

Have you rang or spoken to Cayman autos in Redhill ?

They sound like they have the experience not just with BMW but Mercedes roofs as well….

skmattwell

Who can fix my roof?

Post by skmattwell » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:42 pm

THATOLDGREYCAR wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:15 pm Yes, booked in for Wed. Had a long convo and Mike is confident he can repair it whilst I wait. Bmw have quoted me circa £2000 note I haven't told him that!
Good to know he picks up the phone to some people, he's been ignoring me for months :cry:

THATOLDGREYCAR

Who can fix my roof?

Post by THATOLDGREYCAR » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:05 am

skmattwell wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:42 pm
THATOLDGREYCAR wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:15 pm Yes, booked in for Wed. Had a long convo and Mike is confident he can repair it whilst I wait. Bmw have quoted me circa £2000 note I haven't told him that!
Good to know he picks up the phone to some people, he's been ignoring me for months :cry:
Travelling up later today to collect mine, which is now apparently repaired!! Just glad to know it's working after the figures I was being quoted, all of which were "estimates."

I shall mention this to him.

My bill, I've been told is £395, but I don't have an exact breakdown of it yet.

skmattwell

Who can fix my roof?

Post by skmattwell » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:27 am

THATOLDGREYCAR wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:05 am
skmattwell wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:42 pm
Travelling up later today to collect mine, which is now apparently repaired!! Just glad to know it's working after the figures I was being quoted, all of which were "estimates."

I shall mention this to him.

My bill, I've been told is £395, but I don't have an exact breakdown of it yet.
Cheers mate!

THATOLDGREYCAR

Who can fix my roof?

Post by THATOLDGREYCAR » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:50 pm

Ok, so today I am happy..

Sun is shining..
Car is driving..
Roof is down!!!

AND, it goes back up too, without stopping part way (which is how the issues started) and no bong/bong, and I can put the windows up!

Apparently it was a couple of issues, 1 (lower) microswitch, but both replaced (apparently he does that to prevent being phoned in a week for same issue) plus an intermittent hall sensor and a wiring fault to another, upper switch.

Doesn't make much sense to me when it was all shown and explained, the bag of old parts I was given went in the bin lol.

Main thing is all is now working as it should, as I was promised it would be.

Thumbs up from me!

Stevo1987

Who can fix my roof?

Post by Stevo1987 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:27 pm

After PM'ing Robbi - So far I have got the roof into a position where I can get to the wiring a bit easier. :thumbsup:
I have tested the wiring but found no breaks in it. From the photo you can see I have cut the wiring going to the microswitch connector/plug. I connected my DVM here and teed into the wiring in the second photo where the red tape is and proved there were no breaks. :( I have tested the microswitch from where I cut the wire at the connector. On manually operating the mSwitch I'm getting open circuit so it looks like the microswitch is faulty. Please can someone let me know the part number of a new swich. I think I read that a 'Z4' one is expensive but other BMW switches are the same and a lot cheaper. I hope that makes sense. Also, is it easy to fit as it looks a bit tricky on inspection?
2024-03-09 173417.jpg
2024-03-09 173417.jpg (92.32 KiB) Viewed 303 times
Attachments
2024-03-09 181421 2.jpg
2024-03-09 181421 2.jpg (126.43 KiB) Viewed 303 times

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Who can fix my roof?

Post by flybobbie » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:05 pm

Just take old wires out and fit new pairs.
Only way not to have future trouble.
I used some old mains flex, let's see that break!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Who can fix my roof?

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:07 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:05 pm Just take old wires out and fit new pairs.
Only way not to have future trouble.
I used some old mains flex, let's see that break!
What happens when you drive away? Do you have to leave a house window open to let the plug come flying through? :? :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

RobbiZ4

Who can fix my roof?

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:05 pm

Stevo1987 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:27 pm After PM'ing Robbi
[...]
I connected my DVM here and teed into the wiring in the second photo where the red tape is and proved there were no breaks. :( I have tested the microswitch from where I cut the wire at the connector. On manually operating the mSwitch I'm getting open circuit so it looks like the microswitch is faulty.
Uhmm, I'm not sure i you are on the right path.

Did you really try to measure sth. on these two wires on the 1st photo (yellow/red wire)? That is the hallsensor (HS) clipped into the hydraulic ram. It can't be simply measured by DMV, as it is an active component (a chip!) and not a switch or resistor.

On the other hand, please don't even think about tearing one of the two microswitches (MS) out of the roof, as you won't be able to mount the new ones. These 2 MS are melted into the roof!

The MS on the right has a pair of green/brown & brown wires, the one on the left has a pair of white & brown wires.

Going this way is absolutely NOT my recommendation!

You will destroy more than you can repair and there will be additional failures in the near future as you will not be able to reconstruct the original routing of the hoses and wires.

Even broken wires are held together by the fabric and will only interrupt the signal for a brief moment when the entire harness is bent.

Typically, there are short circuits or interruptions with a duration of only a few milliseconds that cause the CTM to stop the roof movement.

Look at the current signal (marked in red) from that very microswitch in the roof shell that has dropped to the ground for a tiny amount of time. This can't be measured with a DVM.
MS_RoofShell2_Interrupt.jpg
MS_RoofShell2_Interrupt.jpg (8.73 KiB) Viewed 276 times
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Stevo1987

Who can fix my roof?

Post by Stevo1987 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:39 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:05 pm
Stevo1987 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:27 pm After PM'ing Robbi
[...]
I connected my DVM here and teed into the wiring in the second photo where the red tape is and proved there were no breaks. :( I have tested the microswitch from where I cut the wire at the connector. On manually operating the mSwitch I'm getting open circuit so it looks like the microswitch is faulty.
Uhmm, I'm not sure i you are on the right path.

Did you really try to measure sth. on these two wires on the 1st photo (yellow/red wire)? That is the hallsensor (HS) clipped into the hydraulic ram. It can't be simply measured by DMV, as it is an active component (a chip!) and not a switch or resistor.

On the other hand, please don't even think about tearing one of the two microswitches (MS) out of the roof, as you won't be able to mount the new ones. These 2 MS are melted into the roof!

The MS on the right has a pair of green/brown & brown wires, the one on the left has a pair of white & brown wires.

Going this way is absolutely NOT my recommendation!

You will destroy more than you can repair and there will be additional failures in the near future as you will not be able to reconstruct the original routing of the hoses and wires.

Even broken wires are held together by the fabric and will only interrupt the signal for a brief moment when the entire harness is bent.

Typically, there are short circuits or interruptions with a duration of only a few milliseconds that cause the CTM to stop the roof movement.

Look at the current signal (marked in red) from that very microswitch in the roof shell that has dropped to the ground for a tiny amount of time. This can't be measured with a DvM.
MS_RoofShell2_Interrupt.jpg
Ah, ok. I did think at one stage that might not be the microswitch connector. I going to put that back together, solder the wires and forget about that part. I'll then think about what to do next. Thanks Robbi.

skmattwell

Who can fix my roof?

Post by skmattwell » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:34 pm

THATOLDGREYCAR wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:50 pm Ok, so today I am happy..

Sun is shining..
Car is driving..
Roof is down!!!

AND, it goes back up too, without stopping part way (which is how the issues started) and no bong/bong, and I can put the windows up!

Apparently it was a couple of issues, 1 (lower) microswitch, but both replaced (apparently he does that to prevent being phoned in a week for same issue) plus an intermittent hall sensor and a wiring fault to another, upper switch.

Doesn't make much sense to me when it was all shown and explained, the bag of old parts I was given went in the bin lol.

Main thing is all is now working as it should, as I was promised it would be.

Thumbs up from me!
Good stuff, glad you managed to get it fixed! Any answer from Mike why he's ignoring me? 😂

RobbiZ4

Who can fix my roof?

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:51 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:05 pm Going this way is absolutely NOT my recommendation!
And once again, sorry guys and especially @stevo1987 to be so direct and "loud", when writing a warning to avoid unnecessary destroyments.

You know, I'm German and usually very direct in my wording.There is no intention to embarrass anyone. :thumbsup:
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Baza

Who can fix my roof?

Post by Baza » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:23 pm

Cayman Motors was mentioned in a previous post I had mine fixed by them in 2014 never a moments problem since. Bit of a treck from Norfolk though. I went to Cayman in Dorking whether they have moved or another branch ?
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels