Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Uh-oh

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:26 pm

Just tried to cycle roof whilst in a service station and had issues part way through, error ping so began to roll back the operation and close the roof / put the cowl back down.

Now it hasn't finished cycling, the windows won't come up, the red light is blinking on the open roof button and I can't access the boot....

Wouldn't be so bad but in this weather.... I'm on my way to London for a meeting tomorrow and I don't fancy the motorway with all the windows down and the 'bong' going off every few seconds.

I have a Carly and a fox well reader on me, error code seems related to hydraulic fluid temp sensor, any clever ideas? I have a feeling this could be misleading though.

Am sat in Starbucks in membury services panicking a little.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Uh-oh

Post by Scubaregs » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:30 pm

Is the roof back up and fully closed? If so have you tried resetting the windows?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Uh-oh

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:30 pm

bte123 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:26 pm Just tried to cycle roof whilst in a service station and had issues part way through, error ping so began to roll back the operation and close the roof / put the cowl back down.

Now it hasn't finished cycling, the windows won't come up, the red light is blinking on the open roof button and I can't access the boot....

Wouldn't be so bad but in this weather.... I'm on my way to London for a meeting tomorrow and I don't fancy the motorway with all the windows down and the 'bong' going off every few seconds.

I have a Carly and a fox well reader on me, error code seems related to hydraulic fluid temp sensor, any clever ideas? I have a feeling this could be misleading though.

Am sat in Starbucks in membury services panicking a little.
If fluid temp is high then the pump motor has been running excessively…switch car off and make sure you can’t hear the pump running.

Let car cool..start engine and try to open cycle, then try close cycle..

As an aside best to get pump relays changed toute de suite..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:31 pm

Roof never got down so is up, and seemingly things locked back in place.

Ccid 447 is from the dash. Can force close the main windows through fox well but the smaller ones don't close unfortunately.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Uh-oh

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:52 pm

bte123 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:31 pm Roof never got down so is up, and seemingly things locked back in place.

Ccid 447 is from the dash. Can force close the main windows through fox well but the smaller ones don't close unfortunately.
Chances are your roof isn't shut completely/ not latched which is preventing the cycle being completed; ie closing the windows. It won't shut the windows unless it thinks the rest is complete.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:10 pm

So the fluid is reading at about 22 degrees at the moment which seems rather high, anyone got any idea what the usual temp should be?

The red light is still blinking on the roof open button and whatever I try I can get the boot to open as I was hoping to open the access to the motor and let it cool. :-(

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Uh-oh

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:29 pm

bte123 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:10 pm So the fluid is reading at about 22 degrees at the moment which seems rather high, anyone got any idea what the usual temp should be?

The red light is still blinking on the roof open button and whatever I try I can get the boot to open as I was hoping to open the access to the motor and let it cool. :-(
22 c is nothing …when it’s up in the 80c/90c time to worry…limits are 90c for opening and 105c for closing

Have you tried full recycling bits ways..

Have you tried bringing windows on switch cluster
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:32 pm

Just to be clear, we're talking degrees celsius here yeah?

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Uh-oh

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:37 pm

bte123 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:32 pm Just to be clear, we're talking degrees celsius here yeah?
It’s a BMW in the UK….yes it’s C not F or even K :thumbsup:

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:41 pm

Thought as much... I'm fecked

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Uh-oh

Post by MikeyH » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:59 pm

bte123 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:41 pm Thought as much... I'm fecked
How did you get on?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:56 pm

got to destination another 60 miles away, driving with the 'bong' chime every 2-3 seconds on a rush hour M25 in the p*****g rain. not ideal with the back windows that won't raise up.

called RAC who came next morning, managed to force the boot to open through his ipad thing, which my foxwell doesn't do. got to look at hydraulic motor and whilst there was a little water ingress and the usual dampness one of the valves was very hot to the touch. rac guy tried disconnecting and having a good clean of the connectors to see if we couldn't spark a few seconds of life into it but no joy.

so basically the cowl panel isn't 'locked' in place, which is why it kept nearly, and actually, popping up on the motorway whilst driving. the back windows (small panel) don't raise as I can only force raise the main window with my foxwell so the air coming in from the outside forces it up.

i just got home after a 248 mile journey done at 40-50mph, taking about 5-6 hours with the 'bong' going off. it's still ringing in my ears.

now i have a boot i cant open to access the pump to disconnect and clean up and dry out, windows that won't go up, and all my local indies booked up until at least second week of feb.

my one last hope is a mate a few miles away who might have a foxwell type gadget which can pop the boot, then I can attempt a manual clean as all I need is 2 - 3 seconds of life to spark in it to finish locking the cowl in place. then look to replace the unit and get it sold.

its been a horrific few days and i'm absolutely knackered, disheartened with it all and in a seemingly catch 22 with how to fix it. if i do manage to get in, clean it, dry it etc and then replace it, i'll have to close the boot again to try it and if it doesn't work I'm back to square one.

if i wasn't so f*****g tired i'd laugh! :wink:

RobbiZ4

Uh-oh

Post by RobbiZ4 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:04 am

Any of the following maintenance tasks accomplished?
viewtopic.php?t=130932

That could simplify to narrow down to the source of your issue.

The pump's temp fault only comes up when the pump is lying in water for a long time. 22°C is not critical and won't throw a fault code.

Search here for:
- pin12 method to open the boot
- dry the pumps area
- probably you have to open the motor to get water out of it
- if so, the temp sensor (it's an NTC) on the pumps mainboard (PCB) has been killed
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Uh-oh

Post by B21 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:09 am

viewtopic.php?t=138634&hilit=Boot+Protool&start=15

viewtopic.php?t=144888&start=30

INPA and Protool will open it as well as the pin 12 trick…see posts :thumbsup:

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:47 am

thank you both for the info.

looks like I'm headed under the glove box, again! i replaced the fan motor a few months back before winter and can't say I enjoyed getting to it, what a faff! at least the fuse box seems much closer and easier to access.

got a lift to work sorted tomorrow. saturday will be spent sorting the 12 pin trick and then getting the motor dried out and cleaned up along with the entire boot space.

salmon relays last summer (6 months ago)
hall sensors last summer (5 months ago)
some other general maintenance but fear this poor thing is on its last legs in a number of ways. it was an absolute bargain when i got it and mechanically she's sound (engine is still beautiful) but its just not going to be worth replacing the whole hydraulic unit which i fear it might need.

still will try all cleaning / drying and cross my fingers.