Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remove external door handle

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Remove external door handle

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:59 pm

I've seen the official manual and difficult to follow pictures of sliding in the 2 special BMW tools and simply removing the handle

Has anyone done this in the real world without the official BMW special tools?

Interested in what to lift, unlatch, unlock to remove it, as peering through the tiny acccess hole in the end of the door is not getting me anywhere quick

Thanks
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

IMZ4N

Re: Remove external door handle

Post by IMZ4N » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:24 am

I have never done this, however I did see the techs remove the handle on mine at HC. From what I could see was it looked like a sliding clip that is attached to the bracket that has the key lock. They went in from the plug on the door towards the out side and it simply slid and locked or unlocked. OK not much help, but, that is how it was done.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Remove external door handle

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:44 am

IMZ4N wrote:I have never done this, however I did see the techs remove the handle on mine at HC. From what I could see was it looked like a sliding clip that is attached to the bracket that has the key lock. They went in from the plug on the door towards the out side and it simply slid and locked or unlocked. OK not much help, but, that is how it was done.
Yep - that's how it's done and through the tiny plug on the door, but without knowing what to clip, slide, push it's difficult to visualise.

Sort of thing that if you have on eon the bench you realise how easy it is, or why you need special tool xx and xy to do it
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills