Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hood won't unlatch and open

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
grdz4roadster

Hood won't unlatch and open

Post by grdz4roadster » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:19 pm

When I pull the hood latch, only the driver's side of the hood unlatches and I can't open the hood. It has been very cold the past few days, but it can't be frozen as the car has not been washed or wet for several weeks now. Any ideas?
2006 3.0i Mods so far: Perma Plate, OEM Wind Def. & A/W Mats, Int. Xenons, Aux Input, Stubby Ant. & BMW mobility kit Mods to be done: Silverstar Ultra Lights, Chrome tips & 18" Rims (TBD)

inTgr8r

Re: Hood won't unlatch and open

Post by inTgr8r » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:35 pm

grdz4roadster wrote:When I pull the hood latch, only the driver's side of the hood unlatches and I can't open the hood. It has been very cold the past few days, but it can't be frozen as the car has not been washed or wet for several weeks now. Any ideas?
:scratchhead: I thought only the M had dual latches.

... I had a problem with mine one time.
Pull the lever & it just wouldn't pop open.
It was recommended by someone else that had the problem, to just pull really hard until it releases.
I pulled the lever to the point I thought it might break... & then it popped open. (figured if it broke it would be warranty)

In my case it was after I closed the hood gently by letting it down slowly & pushed down to latch.
Since that time I let it drop closed from about 6 - 8".... & no more problem.
I haven't tried to duplicate since, but I suspect that the gentle close didn't fully set the latch;
which made it harder to open.

On an older car, it could obviously be a cable problem or lack of lubrication.

Color

Post by Color » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm guessing since you have a 2006 model you probably have the late version hood that has one lock on each side instead of one at front.

I had a similar problem as you (on a 2006 model), however my problem was getting the locks to engage once I had the hood open. Even though you did not wash the car (neither had I) it seems the hood mechanism tends to freeze at sub-zero temperatures.

Leave the car in a heated place for many hours and it will probably resolve itself, then put on some grease or lubrication. I haven had the same problem again after since.

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:08 pm

Thank you all for your quick response. It's amazing how helpful the members of this forum are. Yes, I do have a 2006 model. The weather will be in the 40's and 50's in Chicago the next few days, so I'll cross my fingers and try to open it up when it warms up. In the unlikely event that it doesn't open, I have an appointment with the dealer to have a few things checked out anyways. Thanks again for your help!
2006 3.0i Mods so far: Perma Plate, OEM Wind Def. & A/W Mats, Int. Xenons, Aux Input, Stubby Ant. & BMW mobility kit Mods to be done: Silverstar Ultra Lights, Chrome tips & 18" Rims (TBD)

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:49 pm

It will be in the 40s today and 50s on Sunday. Hopefully the hood will pop open. I've tried pulling the latch as hard as I can but to no avail thus far. Coincidentally, since the unseasonably warm weather, the clicking sound from the engine is gone...there was a post titled Engine Noise by Performance on here which I experienced the same problem.

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:08 pm

Problem solved! It must have been due to the cold weather. The hood opened yesterday and I sprayed some WD40.

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:15 pm

Glad to hear it! At least it didn't cost anything out of pocket to rectify.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Color

Post by Color » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:27 pm

grdz4roadster wrote:Problem solved! It must have been due to the cold weather. The hood opened yesterday and I sprayed some WD40.
I'm glad it worked! :thumbsup:

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:19 pm

^ +1 ....good news!