Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Worst fusebox ever?

Valor1

Worst fusebox ever?

Post by Valor1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:17 am

So I'm having problems with my Parking brake (and probably related cruise control). I figures I would check the fuses, first logical think when you have an electrical item not working.

Well, after dealing with the fuse box in the E89 for the first time I felt like getting rid of this car! A fuse box should be readily available for access for all the obvious reasons. It's bad enough you have to unscrew a panel to get to it with three upside down screws and then wiggle that panel out without scratching the extended leather, but I could not figure out how to get to get good access to the panel. It rotates down slightly and then stops in a position that you really can't get access to the thing. Then of course is the fact that the panel IS NOT LABELED??? wtf???? How are you supposed to know what fuse does what??? Oh, well maybe BMW put this info in the manual??? NOPE! I have never seen a manual that has no listing of the fuse functions, location and fuse size. Every Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc., I have ever had had ready access to the fuse panel. :headbang:

iancambs

Worst fusebox ever?

Post by iancambs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:22 am

Welcome! Owned my E89 since May and battled the fuse box last weekend to install a dash cam. I'd read the reviews about fuse box from hell - what an understatement!!

With some gentle pulling I managed to access the fuses I needed - though it can't be too hard to dislodge something with the wiring looms you have to move out of the way. Found a leaflet clipped in which showed which fuses were what and the plastic tweezers on the board worked surprisingly well.

Took forever to re-locate the wing nut to lock it back in to place. Screwed the panel back in - only to find I'd left the leaflet and tweezers on the drivers seat. They'll be staying in the glove box, no way I am doing that again unless I have to!

Happy to share a pic of the fuse layout if that helps anyone?

clarker63

Worst fusebox ever?

Post by clarker63 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:47 am

I share your pain. Definitely the worst fuse box and location ever invented! Its a well worn rite of passage into e89 ownership.... now move on and enjoy the car! :thumbsup:
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Silverstar

Worst fusebox ever?

Post by Silverstar » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Not sure what BMW were thinking when they designed this, definitely not very German like. There is a leaflet tucked somewhere which shows what fuses are for what, maybe it's missing from yours. Also you are supposed to be able to slide the fusebox out towards you once you have lowered it to give you better access to the fuses but I couldn't get mine to move for love nor money making locating and checking fuses a real pain. I just hope nothing ever blows any fuse so I don't have to go down there again! :-|
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

srhutch

Worst fusebox ever?

Post by srhutch » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:20 pm

The fuse box on my 5 series F11 is ridiculous. Just big enough to get you hand through the hole, and then you can’t see what you are doing because your hand is in the way.

Danglesberries

Worst fusebox ever?

Post by Danglesberries » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:08 am

Silverstar wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 pm Not sure what BMW were thinking when they designed this, definitely not very German like. There is a leaflet tucked somewhere which shows what fuses are for what, maybe it's missing from yours. Also you are supposed to be able to slide the fusebox out towards you once you have lowered it to give you better access to the fuses but I couldn't get mine to move for love nor money making locating and checking fuses a real pain. I just hope nothing ever blows any fuse so I don't have to go down there again! :-|
Begs the question, was it deliberately designed that way? Difficult to access so you take it to dealership to diagnose a £500 fault and all they did was replace a fuse or two. :x

Valor1

Worst fusebox ever?

Post by Valor1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:09 pm

Silverstar wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 pm Not sure what BMW were thinking when they designed this, definitely not very German like. There is a leaflet tucked somewhere which shows what fuses are for what, maybe it's missing from yours. Also you are supposed to be able to slide the fusebox out towards you once you have lowered it to give you better access to the fuses but I couldn't get mine to move for love nor money making locating and checking fuses a real pain. I just hope nothing ever blows any fuse so I don't have to go down there again! :-|
Exactly! It would not move forward.....and in my instance, I found no leaflet. A leaflet in this day and age? Even vintage Ferraris have an image permanently affixed that shows what each fuse and relay does. Did BMW not thing leaflets get lost? Paper fades? Deteriorates? Etc.? This is not the same company that made the E30 M3 or the Z8 :( and the E89 Z4 maybe the last truly stylish/beautiful car BMW makes with a gas powered engine.....or otherwise.

I started restoring cars when I was in my teens and I've worked on many cars but this is the worst fuse box, by far, I've ever encountered.

Valor1

Worst fusebox ever?

Post by Valor1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:10 pm

Danglesberries wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:08 am
Begs the question, was it deliberately designed that way? Difficult to access so you take it to dealership to diagnose a £500 fault and all they did was replace a fuse or two. :x
You may have solved the "mystery!"

Dru2000D

Worst fusebox ever?

Post by Dru2000D » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:15 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread but I wired in my dashcam with a fuse piggyback kit. Dashcam works fine but now ciggy lighters don't 🤣

I used the original fuse that was in the box into the piggyback one. Started car and dashcam wouldn't power up so added the small fuse that came with the kit also which made it come to life.

What have a done wrong lol