Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Now we have seen what it looks like....

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)

What are you going to do...

Buy the new version NEW
15%
Wait, and buy a used "new model"
16%
Stick with what I have, and run it into the ground
48%
Upgrade to a later "first generation" when the prices lower
6%
Change to another model of BMW
6%
Leave BMW buy something else
6%
Other
5%

Total votes: 109

rollingstone

Re: Now we have seen what it looks like....

Post by rollingstone » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:53 am

I was on the fence about a few things, as it was originally down to the Cayman and Z4 Coupe... There was much to "like" about the Cayman, but I fell in love with the Z4 Coupe. :D My only passing regret is not having looked around more for an M. But the practically perfect '07 3.0si that arrived at the local dealer was hard to resist.

Although I've already talked to my sales consultant about a drive in the new Z4 when they get one, it's really out of curiosity. From the photos, I'm not fond of the looks and agree with others that it seems more a Frankenstein's roadster of grafted BMW model lines. The original Z4's lines seem more pure... more provoking. It will age far better than the new one IMHO.

My feeling is that I will either:

a) hold onto my 3.0si until the perfect M is found, then trade up for keepers; or...
b) enjoy my Zed for some years before moving into the 6-Series, which I have also always loved (if business is good, perhaps the M6 coupe).

Cheers.
2007 3.0si coupe . jet black . dream red . premium . sport . bum-warming M seats . clear corners . euro visors . zhp . stubby . ipod . sans badges

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:31 pm

I'm keeping my M for years to come. I can't be bothered by the glut of electro nannies the E89 has. Not much of a sportscar as is. :thumbsdown: I hope they serve up Fred Flintstone's car again when the M division has their hands at it.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:30 pm

No coupe No change :| But it is very nice
Blue Z4MC - now gone

Color

Post by Color » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:21 am

155MPH wrote:somewhere i read that they can't fit the V8 in the E89....that doesn't make sense to me since they can fit it in the E85...anyone read that too?
I read the same in a short article somewhere. I have some observations on that

1) Not sure how much to trust that article
2) Seems on the Z series BMW always says something to discredit a future M version, but then change their mind. Sales technique?
3) If they can fit a straight six, they can fit a V8. There's plenty of space in the Z4 engine room. I also remember seeing a V8 installed on a Z4 by a third party, so that should be a living proof. Only problem I could see with the M3 V8 is that it seems a bit higher than the normal engines. . . could be resolved by adding a bulge to the bonnet (would be interesting to see how that would end up).

I have faith! I know that if I were an BMW M engineer I would love to get my hands on the new Z4, perfect material for an M version.

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:46 am

But the question is, with the world economics/oil/echo as it is, will they bother with an M version now? I bet they are worrying how many of the new model they will sell next year at the moment!! A 2 seater sports car will be at the bottom of many peoples lists to be honest. They would sell more M3's than anything else because they are so practical.

If I wanted an M car next year, the M3 is where I would look myself because it's an all things to all men kind of car. I would sell my second car and just use that. I couldn't do that with a Z4.
Last edited by Breaker on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:51 am

Breaker wrote:But the question is, with the world economics/oil/echo as it is, will they bother with an M version now? I bet they are worrying how many of the new model they will sell next year at the moment!!

Since it does not launch until May, then dealers will pre register as many as they can get, then there will be the inevitable pent up demand for a new model I guess they will be just fine until the end of 2009. Thereafter the key economies should be improving. Longer term buying patterns of cars must also be a concern.

They'll wait to see sales before announcing any ///M anyway else they would damage launch demand and who knows even and Aplina type company could be asked to build one?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:02 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
Breaker wrote:But the question is, with the world economics/oil/echo as it is, will they bother with an M version now? I bet they are worrying how many of the new model they will sell next year at the moment!!

Since it does not launch until May, then dealers will pre register as many as they can get, then there will be the inevitable pent up demand for a new model I guess they will be just fine until the end of 2009. Thereafter the key economies should be improving. Longer term buying patterns of cars must also be a concern.
That's if there are any dealers left to pre-reg cars. I keep hearing rumours about my local BMW dealership looking shaky and that's a big dealer!! :?

BMW could delay the launch yet if they think the time isn't right!! :wink:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:05 am

Breaker wrote: That's if there are any dealers left to pre-reg cars. I keep hearing rumours about my local BMW dealership looking shaky and that's a big dealer!! :?
not BMW, but a big dealer chain round here went bust just a few weeks ago - had been in business for 20 odd years :o

They had several sites covering most brands - Audi, VW, Alfa, SEAT, Peugeot, Nissan.....

Scary times
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:28 pm

There is a Chrysler/Suzuki dealership near me that has announced it will no longer be a franchised dealer for any make in 2009 as they are going back to when the business started 12 years ago just being a second hand car dealer! :?

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:41 pm

I'm thinking take a look at it and my financial situation in the late 09/2010 range then decide.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

Color

Post by Color » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:05 am

Like some mention here, I think they won't announce an M until 2010++
The initial Z4 started production in 2002, and it wasn't until 2006 (?) that the M got into production. More or less when the facelift was made?
That's about four years after Z4 production start if I am not mistaken on my numbers.

My hunch is that in the meanwhile they will be secretly playing around with an M prototype, and make the decision about entering production or not once the financially tight market have loosened up.
There might be an M3 V8 engine upgrade or even a 2009 Z4 facelift as well before we see the M version.

The first generation Z4 saw 6 years of production. A lot can happen in such a long time.

Gauss

Post by Gauss » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:33 pm

The Z4 M Coupe is pretty much the best kind of Z4 you can buy. On top of that, I don't like the look of the new models. So I'll be keeping mine. The value has dropped so low anyway that it's pointless to sell, I don't need the cash.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:58 pm

You can get a 2007 3.4 boxster s for mid 20's now, would rather put my money there or into a Z4M roadster than buy the new car.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup: