Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Window Broken

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Z4 Forum AMW

Window Broken

Post by Z4 Forum AMW » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:41 am

Hi all,

My driver side window has packed up - I think the glass has fallen off the runner - does anyone know how to remove the inner door panel or anything about this (i.e. common problem etc)

Thanks

Alex
2003 Z4 2.5 - Grey with Red Leather

zee42

Post by zee42 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:24 am

Mine got to the point on the right side that it rattled real bad when closing the door. It.s a 2003. When I took it in for the service check,I told the dealer about it and when they checked it they said it was about to do what yours has done and fixed it for free,while doing the service,might try that :thumbsup:

Z4 Forum AMW

Post by Z4 Forum AMW » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:34 am

Thanks Zee42 - its not due for a service for a while - so I really want it fixed asap.

Any idea how the door comes off??
2003 Z4 2.5 - Grey with Red Leather

Tim

Re: Window Broken

Post by Tim » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Z4 Forum AMW wrote:Hi all,

My driver side window has packed up - I think the glass has fallen off the runner - does anyone know how to remove the inner door panel or anything about this (i.e. common problem etc)

Thanks

Alex
Alex, if you have a look at my entry for Bavarian Garages in dealer feedback, I encountered a major problem with my window: the regulator.
2004 BMW Z4 2.2iSE Auto, Maldives Blue

zee42

Post by zee42 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:51 pm

Z4 Forum AMW wrote:Thanks Zee42 - its not due for a service for a while - so I really want it fixed asap.

Any idea how the door comes off??

Never had to do that...but you might take it by the dealer if your near and if you act real nice they may go ahead and fix it. As I remember,mine did not come off the track...the track itself was coming loose. Yours may still be on the track..do you hear any sounds of something trying to move or nothing at all?

Sephanite

Post by Sephanite » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:39 pm

i had images on taking the door off before. something to do with that airbag button hehehe. i will see if i copied it from z4um

skelters

Post by skelters » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:11 pm

Was there not a known problem with this sort of thing happening to early models?

I had it last year on mne and they fixed it when I got the car.

ian in lancs

Post by ian in lancs » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:25 am

the windows are held in by a clamp at the rear bottom corner of the window. If yours is loose, can be lifted about 1-2cm then I suspect the clamp bolt is loose. On my previous car a 2004 2.5 I had this problem. It's quite easy to fix. From memory the removal of the door panel is down to a self tapper under the air bag logo, one behind the door lock pull and two under the large diagonal door pull, just lever the chrome cover plate off. The panel is finally held to the door with popper studs just gently pull the panel away. When you put it back make sure the popper / holes align otherwise the poppers will be damaged... :-) Easy to replace though.

Anyway you dont need to completely remove the panel just wedge it open about 15cm at the bottom, enough to access and leave the top part - the window rubber side in place.

Under the door panel is a foam insulator sheet stuck with mastic sealant to the metal of the door. Trying to lift it away tears it so be careful. In the metal of the door there's an access hole to the clamp bolt towards the rear of the door about half way up; locateed behind the dimple in the foam. Cut through the foam carefully to reveal the hole. Look through it with a torch and move the window up and down until you can see the torx headed bolt and tighten it up, not too much I guess the glass might break. I think the glass has to be about 15cm from it's highest position.

Voila a tight window. Seal the cut in the foam with gaffa tape and reassemble. About a hours work, taking time and being gentle.

And if you're out of warranty that'll be £100 sir....
I'm on my second Zed, a cosseted 2007 Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster owned since new - 343 horses controlled by a donkey...

Daily driver is a 2012 X3 3.0d M Sport (fantastic) Wife has a 2015 325d Luxury

IAM Observer