Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

"M" Specific discussion
Post Reply

Have yours been replaced

Not as far as I know.
49
54%
Yes, as a preventative measure.
34
38%
Yes, one or more failed.
7
8%
 
Total votes: 90

Mr Tidy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 15610
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Sandhurst, Berkshire

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:21 pm

Just updated my vote!

I spent some time trying to decide whether to get mine done and as I plan to keep it until I can't drive it I figured I might as well book it in with Ross @ RBM Hampshire for some new shells for peace of mind, rather than just put off a job that will need doing anyway at some point.

Although my car has done just under 78K miles it has had 7 previous keepers, so I thought there was a fair likelihood of one of them not being gentle enough while the engine got properly warm.

And because we all like a photo here are the original shells.
Attachments
Bearing Shells 260820.jpeg
Bearing Shells 260820.jpeg (403.38 KiB) Viewed 980 times
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

User avatar
mr wilks
Legend
Legend
Posts: 21684
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Lancashire

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by mr wilks » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:33 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:21 pm Just updated my vote!

I spent some time trying to decide whether to get mine done and as I plan to keep it until I can't drive it I figured I might as well book it in with Ross @ RBM Hampshire for some new shells for peace of mind, rather than just put off a job that will need doing anyway at some point.

Although my car has done just under 78K miles it has had 7 previous keepers, so I thought there was a fair likelihood of one of them not being gentle enough while the engine got properly warm.

And because we all like a photo here are the original shells.
:cry: :| what was the history like up to you getting it ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters

Audi TTRS , mapped & manual :driving:

Image

Mr Tidy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 15610
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Sandhurst, Berkshire

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:47 pm

Well it seems to have begun life with BMW UK as they did the running-in service and then it had another 6 keepers before I got it.

Not sure why but it was almost 2 and a half years until it got it's first service at 24K miles, although it was an Inspection 1.

Then 2 years later it got an oil service on 36K and 2 years after that another Inspection 1 on 48K.

18 months later another Oil Service on 60K, an Oil Service a year later on 65K and nearly 3 years later another Oil Service on 68K.

Then just under 2 years after that I had an Inspection 2.

So although it isn't perfect it's far from terrible. That's why I suspect it's been put under load before it was properly up to temperature.

Still now I've seen what came out I'm just glad I got them done! :o
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

User avatar
RichieP
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by RichieP » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi Mr Tidy.... did you get the oil analysed before you had the bearing shells replaced ?
2008 Z4MC SG/Imola / Hel brake lines / Pagid RS29 / Strong Strut / VT mounts / Carbon trim / stubby.

Mr Tidy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 15610
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Sandhurst, Berkshire

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:11 pm

Hi Richie, I did get a sample taken when it had it's Inspection 2 but that was during lockdown so Ross couldn't find anyone who was taking samples for analysis!

And I'm pretty sure I read that a one-off oil analysis wasn't too conclusive, it was better to have a few done and compare results over time. So as it's a keeper I thought I might just as well get them done - luckily.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

User avatar
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5890
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Back in the sunshine

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:30 am

Looking at the photograph, you made a very wise and timely decision Mr Tidy. It would have been a great pity if your car in particular had spun a shell after you spent so long lusting after and agonising over whether to buy an ///M.
Image
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use, now in Sydney; Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty;
Westfield SEiW track car currently in hibernation; S2000 GT - sold

Ed Doe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:06 pm
Location: Guildford, Surrey

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:42 am

Still makes me laugh when people get hung up on the run in service for these cars. Sure it might have a bit of wear if not done properly but after however many owners and 50+k miles it's far more a lottery in terms of how the car has been driven from cold.

I know it's easy to say but if I were ever ato be buying an S54 car again I'd be factoring in new bearings as part of the cost after buying. Having seen my (3rd set) bearings after just 14k, it just isn't worth taking a risk assuming they're OK whe you don't know how the previous owners have driven the car. And when a new crank is £2.2k from bmw, before you get into a set of new rods if they've been ovalled from spinning a bearing, and anything else (like oil pump) that's knackered from picking up the bearing swarf, plus a rebuild from a reputable engine builder it's simply not worth the risk.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax, AP-Racing, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, RPI, H&S, Evolve, RTD, 4.1FD :evil: Engine now Run in - Bring on Summer!
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

just-right
Member
Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:57 pm

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by just-right » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Just took an oil sample which I will send of to be tested. It will be interesting to see if the metal content has evolved in any way since the last one.
Interlagos Blue Z4MC

User avatar
DSGRNMCM
Member
Member
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by DSGRNMCM » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:38 pm

So rang the garage today, the car will not be ready until next Tuesday (Good job I called...)

Anyway, they had replaced the bearings with OEM ones, and have kept them for me to look at. They said that they had been replaced at some stage, as the ones they removed were AP Racing ones. No where in the history does it mention this, so I cant put a date on it. This does lead me to think that maybe the car has not been so well looked after if it has had a bearing change already, and at 90k the second set had wear (not yet seen). But my peace of mind is sorted.
E86 Z4m Coupe - Titan Silver, Stubby, Sun protection, Eibach springs, LED interior lights, CDV delete, Badge delete, Pipercross, Exhaust bypass
F11 520d, E46 328i, E91 320d, F21 120d, E46 318ti
Mk VI GTD DSG (Daily Hack)

Ed Doe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:06 pm
Location: Guildford, Surrey

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Sure they were ap racing not ACL? I wasn't aware ap racing did bearings!

I wouldn't be worried if it's had them before, in fact I'd say it's an indication its been looked after if someone's spend over a grand on a preventative maintenance item!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax, AP-Racing, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, RPI, H&S, Evolve, RTD, 4.1FD :evil: Engine now Run in - Bring on Summer!
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

User avatar
R60BBA
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1624
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:53 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by R60BBA » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:31 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:43 pm I wouldn't be worried if it's had them before, in fact I'd say it's an indication its been looked after if someone's spend over a grand on a preventative maintenance item!
Precisely this ^
Image

Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Instagram: bavarianjunkie

User avatar
DSGRNMCM
Member
Member
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by DSGRNMCM » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:30 pm

Yeah big bills are a good sign of intent / care. But does two sets of bearings that are worn mean that the car has not been warmed up correctly and / or thrashed?
E86 Z4m Coupe - Titan Silver, Stubby, Sun protection, Eibach springs, LED interior lights, CDV delete, Badge delete, Pipercross, Exhaust bypass
F11 520d, E46 328i, E91 320d, F21 120d, E46 318ti
Mk VI GTD DSG (Daily Hack)

User avatar
RedUn
Member
Member
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:33 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by RedUn » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:02 pm

DSGRNMCM wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:30 pm Yeah big bills are a good sign of intent / care. But does two sets of bearings that are worn mean that the car has not been warmed up correctly and / or thrashed?
I wouldn't worry too much, it's an s54, you can guarantee every single one on the roads has been thrashed at some point, that's the point of it :evil:
IMOLA Z4///MR

JoshsZ4M
Member
Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:45 am

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by JoshsZ4M » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 am

RedUn wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:02 pm
DSGRNMCM wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:30 pm Yeah big bills are a good sign of intent / care. But does two sets of bearings that are worn mean that the car has not been warmed up correctly and / or thrashed?
I wouldn't worry too much, it's an s54, you can guarantee every single one on the roads has been thrashed at some point, that's the point of it :evil:
Great to be getting them done, but I would absolutely agree with this. My car’s 2k miles in to the new set of shells, I warm the car up carefully, and only do 2k miles a year, but those miles are enjoyable fast road miles... so I’ll probably have them done again if it ever gets to 100k miles under my ownership... worth every penny after another 15-20 years of use (hoping I still own it by then, I have every intention to). I mean, either it will be shells or I’ll be having an electric motor installed instead and the engine will become a centrepiece to our living room 😆😬
2006 ///MR, Interlagos blue with extended black leather
1986 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant

User avatar
RedUn
Member
Member
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:33 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Z4M Crank Rod Bearing Shells

Post by RedUn » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:39 am

JoshsZ4M wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 am
RedUn wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:02 pm
DSGRNMCM wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:30 pm Yeah big bills are a good sign of intent / care. But does two sets of bearings that are worn mean that the car has not been warmed up correctly and / or thrashed?
I wouldn't worry too much, it's an s54, you can guarantee every single one on the roads has been thrashed at some point, that's the point of it :evil:
Great to be getting them done, but I would absolutely agree with this. My car’s 2k miles in to the new set of shells, I warm the car up carefully, and only do 2k miles a year, but those miles are enjoyable fast road miles... so I’ll probably have them done again if it ever gets to 100k miles under my ownership... worth every penny after another 15-20 years of use (hoping I still own it by then, I have every intention to). I mean, either it will be shells or I’ll be having an electric motor installed instead and the engine will become a centrepiece to our living room 😆😬
:thumbsup: It's easy to get lost in the world of depreciation and maintenance costs etc.

S54 = :driving:
IMOLA Z4///MR

Post Reply