Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The dreaded roof issue has come calling !

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:25 am

Hi everyone ,
Fairly new member so please be patient!
I have what I hope is a common roof issue, whereby on opening the roof from the switch, it opens without fault until the boot lid closes (with roof fully stored correctly) and then when it’s fully down the ‘bong’occurs and windows will not close.
Then on closing, the roof works perfectly until window section is on top of roof section , boot hatch closes correctly then ‘bong’ roof will not drop into position !
The rear deck closes fully as it always has,but you can almost tell it thinks it hasn’t , so I give a sharp/hard push, down on to the black surface which the window section closes onto ( nothing actual happens that I can see as it is fully closed) and the roof then carries on in the normal way in both closing/opening mode.
Now after some digging around the net , and some fantastic info on this site from various members, Im thinking it’s the microswitches and not the hall sensors on the the ram. I’m going to check the connections firstly , then proceed to buy the switches/ sensors.
The hall sensors are ridiculously expensive to say the least. A little further digging found that the hall sensors from a 1 series can be chopped and soldered to suit . Is this method still ok to do , as they look identical, minus connector.
Lastly I maybe/possibly to blame as literally the week before I liberally lubed all the moving parts of the hinges etc, and I’m now pretty sure I have inadvertently got lube in the micro switches under the rear deck hinges 🤯
Please ridicule away , I’ve learnt the lesson in all this !!
But before I tinker further ANY help/further advice will be warmly welcomed.
Andy
:!: :driving: :!:
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:38 am

I’m no expert and not had any problems with mine but from what you have said I think you are correct about it being the micro switch’s and that would be the first thing I would check, you could try spraying some electrical cleaner on them it may help remove any oil contamination in the switch
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:45 am

Hi yes that’s my thinking , I am going to try the contact cleaner also I’ve got some servisol contact cleaner so yes I will also try that 👍🏻
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:02 am

Does sound like the failure mode I have which it is asserted to be one or both of the micro switches next to the rams in the boot as you suggest.

Mine has mysteriously fixed itself as the temperatures warmed up..have the switches ready to fit now but waiting for a permanent fault...
Attachments
4CCD29EA-3AB9-4B71-8914-CC632E03BE41.jpeg
4CCD29EA-3AB9-4B71-8914-CC632E03BE41.jpeg (189.84 KiB) Viewed 2875 times
22224174-F986-448E-ADAA-C27B300AA6F8.jpeg
22224174-F986-448E-ADAA-C27B300AA6F8.jpeg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 2875 times

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:14 am

304frp wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:25 am I have what I hope is a common roof issue, whereby on opening the roof from the switch, it opens without fault until the boot lid closes (with roof fully stored correctly) and then when it’s fully down the ‘bong’occurs and windows will not close.
Then on closing, the roof works perfectly until window section is on top of roof section, boot hatch closes correctly then ‘bong’ roof will not drop into position !
Hi Andy,
exactly the typical issue with the 2 microswitches on top of both rams of the lid. Have to be replaced.
304frp wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:25 am ...as literally the week before I liberally lubed all the moving parts of the hinges etc, and I’m now pretty sure I have inadvertently got lube in the micro switches under the rear deck hinges 🤯..

What a nonsense!
As several times stated before: never ever think about any lubrication in the roof's mechanic! The often quoted YouTube video should be dropped ASAP.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:17 am

Pbondar wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:02 am Does sound like the failure mode I have which it is asserted to be one or both of the micro switches next to the rams in the boot as you suggest.

Mine has mysteriously fixed itself as the temperatures warmed up..have the switches ready to fit now but waiting for a permanent fault...
There is a kind of corrosion inside of these two switches. The signal to the CTM might be random depending on the weather, temperature, time of day or whatever!
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:33 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:17 am
Pbondar wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:02 am Does sound like the failure mode I have which it is asserted to be one or both of the micro switches next to the rams in the boot as you suggest.

There is a kind of corrosion inside of these two switches. The signal to the CTM is a randomly depending on the weather, temperature, time of day or whatever!
Aha thanks..looking at the design with the rubber seal I had hoped for their to be a stable environment within the switch.

This kinds of explains the issue I’m suffering...

Long periods of inactivity plus we have had a very cold / damp winter would lead to such corrosion both forming and not being ‘cleaned’ by the switch action...I assume a combination of use and warmer much dryer weather has temporarily mitigated the issue. :tumbleweed:

Anyway got the switches now so will either wait for a more sustained failure and/or wait till next winter then tackle it myself when I’ve built my garage :thumbsup:

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:09 am

Pbondar wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:33 am Aha thanks..looking at the design with the rubber seal I had hoped for their to be a stable environment within the switch.
Interestingly, there is absolutely no known issue with the original, small plugs on those microswitches. I don't have any clue, why somebody at BMW or EDSCHA has replaced these plugs with sealed ones.
The corrossion happens INSIDE of the switches, not on the plugs.

Tip for mounting the new sealed plugs on the old E89 loom:

- don't even think about buying those expensive adapters, that BMW offers. You have to solder those adaters anyway!
- carefully unplug and remove the black 'n white plug housings from the old microswitches
- destroy(!) the new plugs with a small side cutter
- pinout those 2 new pins
- push the green seals back and out of the new pins
- re-crimp the 2 new pins to reduce the diameter
- put these reworked, new pins into the old white and black plug housings
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:24 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:09 am
Pbondar wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:33 am Aha thanks..looking at the design with the rubber seal I had hoped for their to be a stable environment within the switch.
Interestingly, there is absolutely no known issue with the original, small plugs on those microswitches. I don't have any clue, why somebody at BMW or EDSCHA has replaced these plugs with sealed ones.
The corrossion happens INSIDE of the switches, not on the plugs.

Tip for mouning the new sealed plugs on the old E89 loom:

- don't even think about buying those expensive adapters, that BMW offers. You have to solder those adaters anyway!
- carefully unplug and remove the black 'n white plug housings from the old microswitches
- destroy(!) the new plugs with a small side cutter
- pinout those 2 new pins
- push the green seals back and out of the contact
- re-crimp the 2 new pins to reduce the diameter
- put these reworked, new pins into the old white and black plug housing
Got it..thnx! :thumbsup:

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:18 pm

Great info , thanks , off to bmw on Monday !.
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

stijohnny

Post by stijohnny » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:38 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:14 am
304frp wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:25 am I have what I hope is a common roof issue, whereby on opening the roof from the switch, it opens without fault until the boot lid closes (with roof fully stored correctly) and then when it’s fully down the ‘bong’occurs and windows will not close.
Then on closing, the roof works perfectly until window section is on top of roof section, boot hatch closes correctly then ‘bong’ roof will not drop into position !
Hi Andy,
exactly the typical issue with the 2 microswitches on top of both rams of the lid. Have to be replaced.
304frp wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:25 am ...as literally the week before I liberally lubed all the moving parts of the hinges etc, and I’m now pretty sure I have inadvertently got lube in the micro switches under the rear deck hinges 🤯..

What a nonsense!
As several times stated before: never ever think about any lubrication in the roof's mechanic! The often quoted YouTube video should be dropped ASAP.
RobbiZ4 - good to see you back on the forum. Personally I always enjoy reading your posts as they are very informative, I dont have too much experience with the e89 Z4.

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:17 pm

stijohnny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:38 pm RobbiZ4 - good to see you back on the forum. Personally I always enjoy reading your posts as they are very informative, I dont have too much experience with the e89 Z4.
:thumbsup:

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 pm

Is there a specific reason why not to lube any of the hinges etc I used a dry lube / ceramic that I use on my cycle chains didn’t think much of it really , the boot hinges did have rust , dust around the moving parts .
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:35 pm

304frp wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 pm Is there a specific reason why not to lube any of the hinges etc I used a dry lube / ceramic that I use on my cycle chains didn’t think much of it really , the boot hinges did have rust , dust around the moving parts .
I remember reading that the hinges have phosphor bronze bushes which shouldn’t be lubricated.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:38 pm

304frp wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 pm Is there a specific reason why not to lube any of the hinges etc I used a dry lube / ceramic that I use on my cycle chains didn’t think much of it really , the boot hinges did have rust , dust around the moving parts .
Yes, there is.
Smartbear wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:35 pm I remember reading that the hinges have phosphor bronze bushes which shouldn’t be lubricated.
Correct.

The "rust" mentioned before is from the special bearing bushes in all joints. IT IS NO RUST. Each critical joint is protected by these bearing bushes. The source of the red "rust" flakes can be seen on the following picture.
Hülse mit Gleitmaterial.jpg
Hülse mit Gleitmaterial.jpg (72.76 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
You achieve exactly the opposite of your original idea with lubrication:
Dust gets bound.

https://www.zroadster.com/forum/threads ... st-3055778
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932