Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot seal gone?

RobbiZ4

Boot seal gone?

Post by RobbiZ4 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:51 am

:(
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

clarker63

Boot seal gone?

Post by clarker63 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:10 pm

After a couple of weeks with no water ingress I've replaced all the trim. Fingers crossed this wont come back but it does appear to be an reoccurring issue. :thumbsup:
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

ric19

Boot seal gone?

Post by ric19 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:48 pm

I am still getting small amounts of water in the boot, despite sealing the lights with black gutter mastic and also resealing the L shaped seal at the top. I have ended up putting the roof motor foam in a cut of rubble sack to try and save it from the water a bit. I have decided to get a UV leak kit off Ebay that consists of a UV torch and 25Ml of dye that makes 10 lites of water to see if I can see where its getting in, has anyone had a go at this ?

clarker63

Boot seal gone?

Post by clarker63 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:53 am

ric19 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:48 pm I am still getting small amounts of water in the boot, despite sealing the lights with black gutter mastic and also resealing the L shaped seal at the top. I have ended up putting the roof motor foam in a cut of rubble sack to try and save it from the water a bit. I have decided to get a UV leak kit off Ebay that consists of a UV torch and 25Ml of dye that makes 10 lites of water to see if I can see where its getting in, has anyone had a go at this ?
i found tracking the water leak to be rather challenging as mine appeared to come in when it was moving rather than when it was stationary. have you got the trim out of the boot? without doing that I suspect you'll have difficulty spotting where it comes in, even with the dye. pouring water over mine didn't really make it come in. The thread shows the main culprits and keeping an eye on those will probably yield results. the hardest part i found was the right hand side with the electronics tray - i couldn't get this out easily so I could just see the water around the edges and kept using a cloth to remove the water I could see around it. the nearside was easier and fortunately that is where the water seemed to come in.

Let us know how you get on.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Boot seal gone?

Post by flybobbie » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 am

These picture show the bumper removed. Note the sealing grommets, any of which could allow water in the boot. Also where the bumper crash bar bolts to the body, there seems to be sealant where it touches the body work, i wonder if there is a hole behind it.
Attachments
20161017_115313.jpg
20161017_115313.jpg (149.68 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
20161017_115248.jpg
20161017_115248.jpg (160.09 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
20161017_115237.jpg
20161017_115237.jpg (151.87 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
Last edited by flybobbie on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Boot seal gone?

Post by flybobbie » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:00 am

Have a look here; https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgr ... _23i&mg=41

Take a look at the rear bodywork panels and you can see all sorts of holes in the boot area that all need to be sealed.
And yes it looks like there are holes under the that rear crash bar mount.

tintoverano

Boot seal gone?

Post by tintoverano » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:39 pm

flybobbie wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 am These picture show the bumper removed. Note the sealing grommets, any of which could allow water in the boot. Also where the bumper crash bar bolts to the body, there seems to be sealant where it touches the body work, i wonder if there is a hole behind it.
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

ric19

Boot seal gone?

Post by ric19 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:47 pm

clarker63 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:53 am
ric19 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:48 pm I am still getting small amounts of water in the boot, despite sealing the lights with black gutter mastic and also resealing the L shaped seal at the top. I have ended up putting the roof motor foam in a cut of rubble sack to try and save it from the water a bit. I have decided to get a UV leak kit off Ebay that consists of a UV torch and 25Ml of dye that makes 10 lites of water to see if I can see where its getting in, has anyone had a go at this ?
i found tracking the water leak to be rather challenging as mine appeared to come in when it was moving rather than when it was stationary. have you got the trim out of the boot? without doing that I suspect you'll have difficulty spotting where it comes in, even with the dye. pouring water over mine didn't really make it come in. The thread shows the main culprits and keeping an eye on those will probably yield results. the hardest part i found was the right hand side with the electronics tray - i couldn't get this out easily so I could just see the water around the edges and kept using a cloth to remove the water I could see around it. the nearside was easier and fortunately that is where the water seemed to come in.

Let us know how you get on.
Yes I have had the drivers side trim out and have took the electronics modules out and could see the bottom of the foam box was wet so have wrapped the bottom of the white roof module in self amalgamating tape with another layer of electrical tape on top, and the other black module I put in a sandwich bag secured with a tie wrap. I can also see water down the back side but like you say the foam container is a sod to get out so ended up sucking the water out with a wet/dry hoover and a thin piece of tubing.At the mo I have put bits of kitchen roll around to see if I can assess the direction the water is coming from until the UV stuff turns up. I suspect it may be the air vents do you know if they are fitted from the inside or does the bumper have to come off ?

Perhaps the easiest option is just to install a Bilge Pump from a boat :)
Last edited by ric19 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric19

Boot seal gone?

Post by ric19 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:49 pm

flybobbie wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 am These picture show the bumper removed. Note the sealing grommets, any of which could allow water in the boot. Also where the bumper crash bar bolts to the body, there seems to be sealant where it touches the body work, i wonder if there is a hole behind it.
I dont suppose you fancy putting a quick how to on taking the bumper of do you FB ? I would be most appreciative :)

clarker63

Boot seal gone?

Post by clarker63 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:30 pm

ric19 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:47 pm
Yes I have had the drivers side trim out and have took the electronics modules out and could see the bottom of the foam box was wet so have wrapped the bottom of the white roof module in self amalgamating tape with another layer of electrical tape on top, and the other black module I put in a sandwich bag secured with a tie wrap. I can also see water down the back side but like you say the foam container is a sod to get out so ended up sucking the water out with a wet/dry hoover and a thin piece of tubing.At the mo I have put bits of kitchen roll around to see if I can assess the direction the water is coming from until the UV stuff turns up. I suspect it may be the air vents do you know if they are fitted from the inside or does the bumper have to come off ?

Perhaps the easiest option is just to install a Bilge Pump from a boat :)
Like it :rofl:

I hope its not quite that bad... but I feel your pain. That side is definitely the worst to get to. If you've definitely managed to seal the leak from the top "L" as you call it (i.e. the seal nearest the roof hinge - make sure its completely dry here first!),
z4 waterleak3.png
z4 waterleak3.png (893.1 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
then I think realistically its likely to be the air vents :(

as a cautionary tale the OP spent vast fortunes fixing those electronics, so keep them dry at all costs!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Boot seal gone?

Post by flybobbie » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 pm

ric19 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:49 pm
I dont suppose you fancy putting a quick how to on taking the bumper of do you FB ? I would be most appreciative :)
First i removed the tail lights.
Just remove all the bolts you can see under the bumper and there a couple behind the wheel arch liners.
Then you just have to be brave and gently pull away starting at the wheel arch.
I have a feeling i did break one clip moulding, but can't remember where and why.

ric19

Boot seal gone?

Post by ric19 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Oh right.I thought there was a hard to reach bolt somewhere behind the inner wheel lining but if you haven't encountered it I'm guessing not..might have a punt in the spring..cheers

tintoverano

Boot seal gone?

Post by tintoverano » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:01 pm

removing the bumper by @AnubisZed - go to 4:15
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

ric19

Boot seal gone?

Post by ric19 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:36 pm

Thanks for that..appreciated it 😀

ric19

Boot seal gone?

Post by ric19 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:54 pm

So I was right about the hidden 8mm bolt at 5 mins 20 seconds in this video flybobbie