Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Failed indicator

IanzZ4

Failed indicator

Post by IanzZ4 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:58 pm

Hi, My Z4 seems to follow the path many seem to tread. First I had my issue with the tyres, which turned out to be simple to fix. Throw away the run flats.

After that I enjoyed three months hassle free motoring. But then over the weekend….

Indicate left and the flasher goes into overdrive and the lamp warning light lights up. Next turn perfect, and since randomly fault, no fault.

I see from others posting that this isn’t an uncommon fault and new replacements were non-existent. They still are in all the obvious pleases. Does anyone know where I can obtain one? Need a nsr unit for a 2012 2.0iDrive.

Cheers

Ian

warmasice

Failed indicator

Post by warmasice » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:10 pm

Where have you already looked? It'll help us norrow down places you haven't already searched.

IanzZ4

Failed indicator

Post by IanzZ4 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:54 pm

Hi, I checked euro parts and may be 5 others from a Google search. I’ve a couple of quotes from online breakers but figure that’s a big gamble over the comfort of a new one out of the box.

obewan

Failed indicator

Post by obewan » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:36 pm

I had exactly the same fault 2 - 3 months ago. I could leave the indicator on and it would alternate between working/not working.
When not working, 3 LED's in the centre of the strip were not illuminating
I took the light cluster out and dried it with a hairdryer for a few minutes
Whilst tipping it around I think about a teaspoon of water came out.

Finally I filled joints between the lens and back plate with a silicone adhesive (specifically for this type of job) from a local motorist shop

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185822976042 ... 3155f719cc

About a month has passed now and so far so good, fingers crossed maybe I caught it just in time
Hope that's not jinxed it :wink:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Failed indicator

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:03 pm

Silicone will eventually pull away as doesn't stick to the plastic well. Tried that several years ago.
Best i did was Evo stick glue.
No problem now 5 years all dry.

IanzZ4

Failed indicator

Post by IanzZ4 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:30 am

Thanks for the advice. I think I’ll give a repair a try. The symptoms are so similar it has to be worth a go.

I will let you know how I get on.

Best regards

Ian

obewan

Failed indicator

Post by obewan » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:40 pm

flybobbie wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:03 pm Silicone will eventually pull away as doesn't stick to the plastic well. Tried that several years ago.
Best i did was Evo stick glue.
No problem now 5 years all dry.
I get what you are are saying flybobbie and agree silicone eventually comes away, but the stuff I referenced is an adhesive with silicone in it.
It has set fairly hard so I'm hoping it will stay put
.....anyway, time will tell :thumbsup:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

IanzZ4

Failed indicator

Post by IanzZ4 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:34 pm

Hi, I had the exact same problem with my car recently (Oct 2023). Nearside rear cluster had four LEDs dropping off intermittently, causing a warning light and indicator relay going into overdrive. Web research here and elsewhere showed a replacement cluster was the only answer. Look as hard as I could, I could find no stock in the UK, not even at breakers or main dealers. I was resigned to having to wait for new stock to arrive goodness knows when and pay goodness knows how much for it.

Two weeks ago I ran a search on eBay to see whether there was anything doing and amongst the usual dubious postings for US spec and parts from Lithuania, a post appeared under the banner Blinkin Marvellous, advertising reconditioning services for Z4 E89 rear light clusters. Cautiously I made contact, asked the seller a few questions, the replies to which were fast and confident. I got enough confidence myself to wrap my precious light up and post it Royal Mail Special to Clive, the owner of this enterprise, who is located close to Frome in Somerset.

Tons of updates back and forth gave me reassurance we were good and we were. Inside a week, Clive made the repair with new LEDs, a newly fashioned bracket to repair a crack in the casing I knew of, where somebody had obviously had a go at a previous attempt, he returned it, again by Royal Mail Special and I have it back on the car, working exactly as it should be. I won't tell you the price I paid for this service, I think Clive will deal with that on a case by case basis, but I paid less than I had been quoted for a new non-existent replacement!

If you want to look into this yourself then the best way to contact Clive is to search eBay for item ref 296058767160. Only the initial contact is through eBay, it's mobiles from there, giving further reassurance.

I am very pleased with the service and so based on my experience I would recommend Clive to any of you suffering the same annoyance with your rear lights.

Best regards

IanzZ4 - Chelmsford

ps Clive is a Z4 owner so he may even amongst us :D

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Failed indicator

Post by B21 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:15 pm

Good write up / recommendation :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

RobbiZ4

Failed indicator

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:22 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:15 pm Good write up
It's a duplicate:
viewtopic.php?p=2040835#p2040835
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System