E89 prices set to nosedive?

Discussing the next generation Z4
Online
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5952
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:09 am
Location: South west Buckinghamshire

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by firebobby » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 pm

The problem with the new car is ...no whippy and no wood on the dash, I think they have ruined it IMHO :lol:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Image

Mr Tidy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7670
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Berkshire

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:56 pm
Nanu wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 pm
No mention of a soft or hard top and possible hybrid engine option. I suspect that if it goes soft top then the e89 will retain it's price as not everyone (Me included) likes a soft top.

I think it's a soft top
Rob
I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere too. Probably why the renderings show it with the roof down! :lol:

I'm sure I also read that the Toyota version will be a Coupe - if it's anything like the last Supra that might be the 2nd Toyota I would think of owning (GT86 being the other one)!

Interesting point that Nanu makes though, because if the new one is a soft top it isn't a direct replacement for the E89 which may well help their values.
Z4 3.0Si Sport - Coupe for added stiffness!
Current - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey, Cirrus trim & 295s. Cruise, Storage and pdc. E91 325i as a DD.
Gone - Ruby Black, Pearl Grey & 135Ms. Xenons, heated seats and Professional speakers.

Vonlipvig
Member
Member
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: West Devon

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by Vonlipvig » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 pm

firebobby wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 pm
The problem with the new car is ...no whippy and no wood on the dash, I think they have ruined it IMHO :lol:
I'm with you on the whippy, but you're on your own with the wood dash...
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Online
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5952
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:09 am
Location: South west Buckinghamshire

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by firebobby » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Vonlipvig wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 pm
firebobby wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 pm
The problem with the new car is ...no whippy and no wood on the dash, I think they have ruined it IMHO :lol:
I'm with you on the whippy, but you're on your own with the wood dash...
Can't beat a bit of wood, I get plenty admiring looks from other forum members :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Image

Online
User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7763
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: In a barn

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm

firebobby wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 pm
Vonlipvig wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 pm
firebobby wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 pm
The problem with the new car is ...no whippy and no wood on the dash, I think they have ruined it IMHO :lol:
I'm with you on the whippy, but you're on your own with the wood dash...
Can't beat a bit of wood, I get plenty admiring looks from other forum members :)
I find the same, pastry seems particularly envious :D
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4 :P
e89 Sdrive30i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i foolishly sold my trouble free car...

Online
User avatar
MACK
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:38 am
Location: Manchester

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by MACK » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Hopefully the new ones going to have a decent boot unlike the e89. That must have been a big factor in its slow sales. Surely that must have cost many more sales than a folding hard top ever won it.
Last edited by MACK on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

Mods- F/L Xenons 4 Spot Clear Rear Lights Clear 3rd Brake Light M Sport E/H Seats & MFSW 3M Carbon Wrap Dash Trims Parrot MKi9100 screen in ashtray Cruise MM Tips ZHP B4s and M Spec tyre sizes 3.64 DIFF

Online
User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7763
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: In a barn

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:25 pm

MACK wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 pm
Hopefully the new ones going to have a decent boot unlike the e89. That must have been a big factor in its slow sales. Surely that must have cost many more sales than a folding hard top ever won it.
I don't think that's a huge issue, it's still plenty big enough for a weeks luggage for two & that's ok for the sort of car it is imho :thumbsup:
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4 :P
e89 Sdrive30i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i foolishly sold my trouble free car...

Online
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5952
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:09 am
Location: South west Buckinghamshire

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by firebobby » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm
firebobby wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 pm
Vonlipvig wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm with you on the whippy, but you're on your own with the wood dash...
Can't beat a bit of wood, I get plenty admiring looks from other forum members :)
I find the same, pastry seems particularly envious :D
Rob
He admires the wood Rob :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Image

Online
User avatar
MACK
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:38 am
Location: Manchester

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by MACK » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:25 pm
MACK wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 pm
Hopefully the new ones going to have a decent boot unlike the e89. That must have been a big factor in its slow sales. Surely that must have cost many more sales than a folding hard top ever won it.
I don't think that's a huge issue, it's still plenty big enough for a weeks luggage for two & that's ok for the sort of car it is imho :thumbsup:
Rob
True, but most folks when buying don't realise that. They open the boot with the roof down gasp and walk away.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

Mods- F/L Xenons 4 Spot Clear Rear Lights Clear 3rd Brake Light M Sport E/H Seats & MFSW 3M Carbon Wrap Dash Trims Parrot MKi9100 screen in ashtray Cruise MM Tips ZHP B4s and M Spec tyre sizes 3.64 DIFF

User avatar
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3110
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by Nictrix » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 pm

MACK wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 pm
Smartbear wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:25 pm
MACK wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 pm
Hopefully the new ones going to have a decent boot unlike the e89. That must have been a big factor in its slow sales. Surely that must have cost many more sales than a folding hard top ever won it.
I don't think that's a huge issue, it's still plenty big enough for a weeks luggage for two & that's ok for the sort of car it is imho :thumbsup:
Rob
True, but most folks when buying don't realise that. They open the boot with the roof down gasp and walk away.
Thats it exactly. The boot looks tiny if you open it with the roof stowed but there is still a lot of room underneath the roof, it just cant be accessed unless the roof is raised which surely most of the time is fine as you only need to get larger stuff out of the boot when you are parked up.
In 4 years we have never struggled with anything due to the size of the boot. Did have a Mini though and the boot on that was terrible.
E89 2010 23i M Sport Black with Black leather

Online
User avatar
MACK
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:38 am
Location: Manchester

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by MACK » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Nictrix wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 pm
MACK wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 pm
Smartbear wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:25 pm


I don't think that's a huge issue, it's still plenty big enough for a weeks luggage for two & that's ok for the sort of car it is imho :thumbsup:
Rob
True, but most folks when buying don't realise that. They open the boot with the roof down gasp and walk away.
Thats it exactly. The boot looks tiny if you open it with the roof stowed but there is still a lot of room underneath the roof, it just cant be accessed unless the roof is raised which surely most of the time is fine as you only need to get larger stuff out of the boot when you are parked up.
In 4 years we have never struggled with anything due to the size of the boot. Did have a Mini though and the boot on that was terrible.
We had a mini as well, makes ever other car boot feel cavernous, any more than a couple of bags down the supermarket and your dropping the back seat. Makes the e89 boot look like an estate car!
Silver 05 3.0i SE

Mods- F/L Xenons 4 Spot Clear Rear Lights Clear 3rd Brake Light M Sport E/H Seats & MFSW 3M Carbon Wrap Dash Trims Parrot MKi9100 screen in ashtray Cruise MM Tips ZHP B4s and M Spec tyre sizes 3.64 DIFF

Online
User avatar
ronk
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8878
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am
Location: Durham

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by ronk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:37 pm

I made my decision last august to spec my E89 as I wanted - I was aware of the new model coming but wanted best of the last .

I hope I've done the right thing.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Online
User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7763
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: In a barn

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:43 pm

ronk wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:37 pm
I made my decision last august to spec my E89 as I wanted - I was aware of the new model coming but wanted best of the last .

I hope I've done the right thing.
Every new car hemorrages money Ron, but the important thing is the enjoyment it brings you (unless you want to sell shortly in which case you're stuffed) :P
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4 :P
e89 Sdrive30i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i foolishly sold my trouble free car...

Online
User avatar
MACK
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:38 am
Location: Manchester

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by MACK » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:14 pm

One thing that's a little strange is it took so long to get into production. These days it's rare a model is discontinued and its a good 2 years before the replacement starts rolling off the production line. Even the very last of the e89s will be getting on towards three years old before the new model hits full flow.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

Mods- F/L Xenons 4 Spot Clear Rear Lights Clear 3rd Brake Light M Sport E/H Seats & MFSW 3M Carbon Wrap Dash Trims Parrot MKi9100 screen in ashtray Cruise MM Tips ZHP B4s and M Spec tyre sizes 3.64 DIFF

Online
User avatar
ronk
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8878
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am
Location: Durham

E89 prices set to nosedive?

Post by ronk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:43 pm
ronk wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:37 pm
I made my decision last august to spec my E89 as I wanted - I was aware of the new model coming but wanted best of the last .

I hope I've done the right thing.
Every new car hemorrages money Ron, but the important thing is the enjoyment it brings you (unless you want to sell shortly in which case you're stuffed) :P
Rob
I agree, the value falls like a stone - I bought my car financed from a share sale - I sold at £5.23 whithin a month of me taking delivery they'd shot up to £6.80 but at my age why worry about a bit of cash?

As you say, the enjoyment of the car comes first!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Post Reply