Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Runflat tyres - the Poll

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift

You can vote for more than one:

I’m on runflats and have no tramlining issues.
13%
I’m on runflats and do have tramlining issues.
12%
I’m on runflats and sorted the tramlining issues without moving to non-runflats.
3%
I swopped my runflats for non-runflats because of tramlining and cleared it.
20%
I swopped my runflats for non-runflats because of tramlining and still have the problem.
2%
I’ve had both, and the non-runflats give a better driving experience.
40%
I’ve had both, and the runflats give a better driving experience
1%
I’ve had both, and found there’s no difference to the driving experience.
3%
What’s tramlining?
5%

Total votes: 149

Rocket

Runflat tyres - the Poll

Post by Rocket » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:05 pm

My Z4 came with non run flats and has been great for the few years I have had it. I also have a Mini Cooper S (F55) that does have runflats and I was thinking about changing it to non runflats. I wanted to reduce road noise mainly and was looking at the options. In my searching I found this video that I found interesting. (I kept the runflats on the Mini)

skelters

Runflat tyres - the Poll

Post by skelters » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:22 pm

Change the tyres to something decent and get an alignment done at the same time.

It'll be like driving a new car compared to what you have at the moment.

In 2005 my 2003 e85 had the runflats when I got it. Changed those to Goodyear Eagle F1 then to Falken FK452 when the Goodyears were dead.

The difference was incredible in the wet and in the dry.

I've had non runflats on my car for 8 years. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta when I got it. Changed those to Goodyears and now have Michelin Pilot Sport on it.

Wouldn't even think about changing back to runflats on the Z4.

Ditch the runflats and don't look back.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

krusty

Runflat tyres - the Poll

Post by krusty » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:09 pm

I have to get a new set of tyres (all 4) for my E86 Z4 coupe. I have OEM Bridgestone run flats at the moment.

There is limited availability and my choice basically comes down to:

*Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (run flats) OR Pilot Sport 5 (NOT run flat)

I don't know what to do. Suggestions and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks muchly

Barty

Runflat tyres - the Poll

Post by Barty » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:15 am

I went from 225 square runflats on 17” to 225/255 staggered non-runflats on 19”, and while the ride has -naturally- become more firm, the tramlining I suffered from previously is gone. I run at 32/34 psi F/R. Proper alignment also helps, I’ve opted for a setup that sits between OEM and the M3 CSL specs.

The car will still occasionally try to follow deeply carved ruts (such as lorry tracks on worn roads) but then what do you expect from a low-slung, low-profile riding sportscar on coilovers :oops:
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

theosinc930

Runflat tyres - the Poll

Post by theosinc930 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:34 am

I have non-runflat Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tyres on my '03 Z4 2.5i, they are INCREDIBLE! Massive grip and great wet weather performance too. I bought an E46 space saver spare wheel and jack, which I carry in my boot. Not the most elegant solution, but I'm happy.
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i, 5 speed manual
Black Sapphire over Dream Red leather
Style 103 wheels

Richfarr

Runflat tyres - the Poll

Post by Richfarr » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:08 pm

I had tramlining with run flats when I purchased the car, it needed the front bushes and new front tyres. Replaced the run flats with more runs flats, new wishbones and lollipops and then 4 wheel alignment. No tramlining since I guess it could of been a combination of all these that put it right
2007 2.0i S E85 Monaco Blue Beige roof and interior