Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Posting pics

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:15 am

Come on, give me a break will ya?! This version of the forum software does not support uploads... the next one does. Once the next one is installed (should be soon) I will review it and see if we can implement it.

You must understand the first and foremost priority is the stability if the forum and the integrity of the data. Please understand I am hosting this for free and as such need to do all I can to keep costs down. My present backup solution backs up the full site... if I can replace this with an incremental solution it will help, but I haven't had time to set this up just yet. Between bandwidth and disk space issues it really is not a simple case of "just turning it on".

Of course I do want to implement features if it makes life easier for the members, and the obvious benefit of this feature is the pics stay on the server, so will never disappear, but I just need to make sure it's planned properly.

As for ythe following comment...
takedown8 wrote:I don't have a hosting account and don't plan on getting one.
...why won't you just sign up to photobucket in the meantime? It's really quick and easy to do, and would be a good solution until we have uploads available on this server.

Like I said, I'm not preventing uploads to make your life difficult, just because I need to make sure I have everything in place to make the site scaleable.

Lastly, I would just point out that z4um never had uploads (I think!), and nobody complained about that.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:54 am

Not sure if it helps, but if you look at Dreamhost the disk quotas are silly ... currently, for the $9.95 a month plan you get 145GB, which increases by 1GB a week. You get 1.45TB of bandwidth a month, rising by 16GB every week.

Perhaps a few of us could chip in a couple of dollars (they're worth pennies these days, anyway!) and use something like this for hosting images?

All this assuming it would be easy to upload images through the board to that hosting.

David.

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:03 am

sp3ctre wrote:Come on, give me a break will ya?! This version of the forum software does not support uploads... the next one does. Once the next one is installed (should be soon) I will review it and see if we can implement it.

You must understand the first and foremost priority is the stability if the forum and the integrity of the data. Please understand I am hosting this for free and as such need to do all I can to keep costs down. My present backup solution backs up the full site... if I can replace this with an incremental solution it will help, but I haven't had time to set this up just yet. Between bandwidth and disk space issues it really is not a simple case of "just turning it on".

Of course I do want to implement features if it makes life easier for the members, and the obvious benefit of this feature is the pics stay on the server, so will never disappear, but I just need to make sure it's planned properly.

As for ythe following comment...
takedown8 wrote:I don't have a hosting account and don't plan on getting one.
...why won't you just sign up to photobucket in the meantime? It's really quick and easy to do, and would be a good solution until we have uploads available on this server.

Like I said, I'm not preventing uploads to make your life difficult, just because I need to make sure I have everything in place to make the site scaleable.

Lastly, I would just point out that z4um never had uploads (I think!), and nobody complained about that.
Mate,

You will never keep everyone happy.

In the mean time why doesn't someone Set up a Photobucket account which has easy account name and password ie

Account: z4-forum
Password: photos

Then anyone can post there pics up on that account, you (Admin) can save them if you want as its all in one place plus you dont have to worry about file sizes on your site. Just maybe suggest no photos over 600kb and 1mb for diy or how to photos.

I haven't got a photobucket account but it would be great to have one account for here just to drop photos onto.

Just a thought.

Cheers

PaulN
Everything Happens for a Reason!

14 TT Black Edition
07 Z4 2.0 SE Jet Black
06 Freelander Sport Java Black

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:17 am

Both ideas are ok... although I don't think we could reliably link just images to a dremhost account. Also, I see no reference on their site to a SLA. I would prefer to keep the hosting to a single datacentre if possible.

The second idea is ok, but I'm just not sure about allowing lot of people in on the one account. Firstly I think it may go against their terms of service, and secondly it is open to abuse (deleting other people pics etc).

It is obvious this is an issue that needs addressing... I will do that as soon as phpbb3 is out (unless someone wants to pay for a vbulletin or invisionboard license!)

What I dont want to do is implement a mod now, only for it to leave perviously uploaded images stranded when the mod breaks when we upgrade.
Last edited by sp3ctre on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:43 am

First and foremost, let's try to keep this site as ad-free as possible!

When you have to start hosting large bits of info or pics, data storage and bandwidth become an issue. I do not think that Sp3ctre should feel obligated to store pics when it is free and easy to link on many hosting sites (I use Flickr).

It is one thing to request a mod to the layout that is a programming tweak or script, but quite another when it may involve monetary expenditures.

Just my 2 cents (as usual) :D

Cheers!

enfield

Post by enfield » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:19 pm

I use Flickr too and it makes life quite simple. I agree with sp3ctre - the primary issue is to make sure this site stays put with backup etc. I for one do not feel that pictures should be stored on this site - what I mean is that this should not be a 'must'.
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:56 pm

Alright, Spe3ctre. I joined one of those photo hosting sites and put the pics up from our recent meet.

See how flexible I am? :lol:

Anyways, we all know you're doing a great job with this forum. Thanks, man.
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:56 pm

Cheers! Spell my name right and you'll be sorted ;) :thumbsup:

Where are the pics btw, or am I being dumb?

EDIT: Found them... nice pics mate :D
Last edited by sp3ctre on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

enfield

Post by enfield » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:01 am

sp3ctre wrote:Cheers! Spell my name right and you'll be sorted ;) :thumbsup:

The pics are in the gallery under the Ontario Cruise thingy started by yours truly!! :thumbsup:
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:27 am

sp3ctre wrote:Cheers! Spell my name right and you'll be sorted ;) :thumbsup:

EDIT: Found them... nice pics mate :D
Thanks, Spectr3. :lol:
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:01 am

Dayum....I finally get to read some of this and the arguement is over already....crumbs. :|

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:31 am

That's what happens when you're too busy Zainoing everything you see.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé