Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Exhaust bypass

"M" Specific discussion
LostBoy_84

Exhaust bypass

Post by LostBoy_84 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:10 pm

srhutch wrote:No gaskets, they are metal selling rings.

You just need a set of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-M3-Z3 ... SwHxVW69F2
Yeah those are the ones I bought, just guessed there'd be a gasket too
Gone but not forgotten
2007 Z4///M Coupé | Silver Grey | Imola Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Nav | Cruise | PDC | Heated Seats | CSL's | H&R's

Current
2009 Ibis White Audi R8 V10 | 6-speed Manual | Lots of Carbon

AlfaScozzesi

Exhaust bypass

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:01 am

When I got mine done the ends of the exhaust are fluted and they needed repaired as well as needing new clamps. While it was all fitted before the mod there was no blowing but after disassembly my guy had to weld more material on the back boxe "flutes" and reshape.

Great sound and like Darren I went for the 3/4" but there are threads where 1" was used. The extra sound doesn't come on til 2600rpm with this dimension now it's all settled in. I think it would be louder from lower revs with a larger dimension of bypass pipe which for me was part of the attraction in that I can get off my street without being too anti social.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust bypass

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am

It's been a while since I took one off. But is there not a copper ring or something for sealing the joint?

They are easy to realign just need to take your time.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

JAD

Exhaust bypass

Post by JAD » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 am

Machine monkey wrote:It's been a while since I took one off. But is there not a copper ring or something for sealing the joint?

Mat, to our conversation over PM, apart from the new clamps linked by Steve earlier in the thread, would you advise new mounting bushes too? I noted the image posted earlier showed a label near the mounts - presumably a new item from BMW?

AlfaScozzesi

Exhaust bypass

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:25 am

Machine monkey wrote:It's been a while since I took one off. But is there not a copper ring or something for sealing the joint?

Yes there is a ring which the two fluted sides sandwich and the clamps then hold in place.

srhutch

Exhaust bypass

Post by srhutch » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:12 pm

JAD wrote:

Mat, to our conversation over PM, apart from the new clamps linked by Steve earlier in the thread, would you advise new mounting bushes too? I noted the image posted earlier showed a label near the mounts - presumably a new item from BMW?
The brackets/rubber were fine on mine, but the nuts holding them on were a bit of a bugger so I would get some WD40 on the ones on the boot floor and also the bolts going through the brackets onto the boxes.

I had one bolt on the exhaust shear. No issue but will have to drill out at some point if I need to refit. But I have read where others have had the boot floor fixings shear which would be more of an issue.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust bypass

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:05 pm

JAD wrote:

Would you like this mod doing to your back boxes or the internal mod? This would be cheaper and probably a better option?
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust bypass

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Machine monkey wrote:
JAD wrote:

Would you like this mod doing to your back boxes or the internal mod? This would be cheaper and probably a better option?
Also i would think the rubbers would be ok. I cant see there being a problem with them.

synthedup

Exhaust bypass

Post by synthedup » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:50 pm

Could this be done to my 2.0 to get a better sound?

JAD

Exhaust bypass

Post by JAD » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:26 pm

Machine monkey wrote:
JAD wrote:

I made a thread about this a few months ago and still don't know. I think I'd go with the internal mod to start with, as the video the chap posted after you'd done your work sounded spot on.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust bypass

Post by markplant » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:47 pm

synthedup wrote:Could this be done to my 2.0 to get a better sound?
Doesn't dukelakeview's mod work on the 2.0 or are you running m rear bumper any twin box exhaust
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

synthedup

Exhaust bypass

Post by synthedup » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:55 pm

markplant wrote:
Doesn't dukelakeview's mod work on the 2.0 or are you running m rear bumper any twin box exhaust

Nope, just running the standard 2.0 exhaust :thumbsup:

tominator

Exhaust bypass

Post by tominator » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:15 pm

How much louder is this mod compared to a stock exhaust on a 3.0si?
Is it a constant drone or only louder on acceleration, and does it pop?
Does it sound any different to the back box internal modification?
Does anyone have a video of the mod, I'd like to hear what it sounds like please? :thumbsup:
Last edited by tominator on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust bypass

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:20 pm

synthedup wrote:
markplant wrote:

Nope, just running the standard 2.0 exhaust :thumbsup:
This or Ducklakeview's mod would give different sound

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust bypass

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:21 pm

Daren I think the forum wants you to do s video of your cars exhaust.