Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot soft close failure-Fixed

Ian_C

Post by Ian_C » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:43 pm

Spent a couple of hours addressing this today. First off I checked the boot light connector. 12v present but no continuity to earth - very likely the left-hand soft close loom identified by others on this thread. Stripped the boot lid down, stripped the insulation back and...bingo!

Black wire was broken, green came apart with the lightest of touches, blue was good albeit exposed:

Right-hand loom didn't have any broken wires (yet) but was deteriorating:

Soldered up the left-hand wires, insulated with heat shrink and relooomed with fabric tape:

On the right-hand side I just insulated the exposed wire with electrical tape and reloomed:

Put it all back together, worked a treat :thumbsup:

Took a couple of videos from inside the boot of each latch - you can see how the loom moves when the boot opens or closes.
LH latch:
Imagez4 boot left by Ian Conuel, on Flickr
RH latch:
ImageIMG_1265 by Ian Conuel, on Flickr

Fingers crossed that my repair lasts :?

Have to say what a great resource this thread (and forum) has been. Would have taken quite a lot longer to trace that without the help of fellow owners
:ilz4f:
2021 g21 330e
2013 e89 1.8 sdrive
1998 e36/7 ///M coupe

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:52 pm

Well documented write up :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:44 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:52 pm Well documented write up :thumbsup:
Agreed
Saved the thread for future reference 👍😁
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:58 am

Perfect!

After renovation of the wires, i always secure the strain relief with fabric tape and cable ties like on the following pic:
20211101_E89-Lock.jpg
20211101_E89-Lock.jpg (29.27 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:42 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:58 am Perfect!

After renovation of the wires, i always secure the strain relief with fabric tape and cable ties like on the following pic:

20211101_E89-Lock.jpg
:thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

DaytonZ4

Post by DaytonZ4 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:22 pm

I'm not sure if this is related but when we bought our car, I never noticed or realized there's a "soft close" function where you lower the lid and it slowly pulls closed and then locks. But I saw a video recently where the person mentioned this feature existed in the E89. My trunk closes and locks (I can hear something in there doing stuff) just fine. I can press the trunk open (fob, in the car, or emblem) and it unlocks like it should. I have no warning lights. When it unlocks, I reach under the lip and lift it open. Then I pull down and let it drop to close it, and it locks like it should. The whole episode is not any different than my Ford Fusion other than it is obviously an electric/motorized lock mechanism (the Ford is just a spring-loaded catch with a motorized release).

So, did all E89s have the soft close function and if so, could it be the wires people are mentioning on this thread? To be clear, my trunk locks and unlocks fine, it just doesn't do the soft close thing.

TIA, Chunks
Chunks | 2015 Z4 SDrive 28i

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:39 pm

DaytonZ4 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:22 pm So, did all E89s have the soft close function...
Simply YES, without any doubt. As well as all E93 and F33 convertibles.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Newzedhed10

Post by Newzedhed10 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:35 am

Hey,

Firstly, thank you this forum is an amazing resource.

I have experienced the boot soft close failure on a trip to France... is it normal that the boot locks but appears slightly open
Please can someone talk me through the tools required to fix this (solder iron, heat shrink + tubing, wire stripper, flat head screw driver to pop the liner retainers, and a torx screwdriver set)
And the initial steps of the repair? Are you disconnecting the battery?!

I've tried the local garages but they won't touch a BMW, and the dealer is booked out.

Thanks,

Nizzy

Post by Nizzy » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:48 pm

Another thank you to the forum and those member who impart their knowledge.

Had this fault occur today! Boot unlocked warning light and gong sounding and boot motor running continously. Thankfully ISearched this forum this afternoon and followed advice. Problem was blue wire had sheared on nearside switch. Other two wires insulation was cut showing bare wire.Wire Soldered and extra insulation placed at plastic clamps. Boot lock and soft close working perfectly. Job done!

Well pleased. Time for tea and medals! Lol.

MY_Z4_E89

Post by MY_Z4_E89 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:15 pm

Hi All,
Just wanted to post and share i had a similar issue with E89 Z4. I finally got the courage and took the assembly apart and found two broken wires on both side of the with microswitches. I want to thank your your support on this issue as you helped me out to root cause the issue. Many thanks.

MY_Z4_E89

stannie203

Post by stannie203 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:22 pm

Hi all,

I also have had this fault occur on my 2011 e89 Z4. Two severed wires (green and black). As per the above, without this forum I'd a) have zero clue where to start in finding the fault, b) would be shelling out £400 for a replacement unit and incurring the wrath of my wife for 'buying a heap of junk'.

I took the route of grafting in a new section of wire to bridge the cut. Soldered, heat shrink tubed and then taped for a bit of extra protection. Job's a good'un.