Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How the keys work

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Gauss

How the keys work

Post by Gauss » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:07 am

Tonight as I was leaving a parking garage I noticed the car didn't lock. I walked back to it and hit the BMW button a bunch of times but the car still wouldn't lock. This was weird. I walked around the car a bit and finally after many attempts the car locked.

I can't use the manual keyhole because I covered it with a circular black vinyl sheet to give a clean look.

So anyway, when I get back to the car later, I find it doesn't unlock. The trunk doesn't open either. I keep trying and trying. I open the trunk hatch with the keyhole under the roundel, but I didn't have anything that could reach the door unlock button. So I ripped off the vinyl sheet and unlocked the car manually. Damn.

Now, when I got home I find the key suddenly works again. The car unlocks and locks without fail.

So exactly what is happening here? Was the battery in the key dying, and did the car recharge it or something once I turned it on? How do I charge up the key so this kind of crap doesn't happen again and make me look like a fool

Yal

Post by Yal » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:57 am

if you're using your "spare" key that hasn't been used for 6 months or more, it could be discharged. The key charges while it's in the ignition. Not sure if a discharged key would be an unprogrammed key.

I use the same key all the time and have experienced this myself.

SoCalSizzle

Post by SoCalSizzle » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:16 am

Yal wrote:if you're using your "spare" key that hasn't been used for 6 months or more, it could be discharged. The key charges while it's in the ignition. Not sure if a discharged key would be an unprogrammed key.

I use the same key all the time and have experienced this myself.
Is that really true? I don't think I have EVER used my spare key :cry: . Great...more key issues for me :roll:

Citation 650

Post by Citation 650 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:45 am

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:14 pm

Gauss: Don't know if we can help you with the fool part but...I switch back and forth between my spare and my master so they have a better chance of staying charged. As little as I drive it, I go out about once a week and just start the car and let the key/s charge.
Did removing the piece off your keyhole leave any marks or damage your paint in any way? Got any pics of your keyhole covered up and then uncovered after removal?
You know I'm just :poke: at you about the fool thing :wink:
T.

Gauss

Post by Gauss » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:45 pm

The paint didn't scratch because it was just a black vinyl sticker.

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:49 pm

space/time continuum perhaps?

em2b96p

Post by em2b96p » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:31 am

i took my spare key to the dealer because the buttons wouldnt work. they told me they had to initialize it and now it works fine

carl

Post by carl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:12 pm

Sometimes RF interference will cause a key fob to stop working. So, if you were parked near a TV transmitter, mobile phone antenna, etc.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:42 pm

carl wrote:Sometimes RF interference will cause a key fob to stop working. So, if you were parked near a TV transmitter, mobile phone antenna, etc.
Mine never used to work near the local Morrison's supermarket, but always only there, and nowhere else. It was always fine minutes later in another location too. Do you reckon that would be due to RF interference?

enfield

Post by enfield » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:04 pm

It has to do with TV/radio signals & their interference. This key issue is common in the Z4s and X3s of the world.
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:05 pm

My Dad had the same with his Jag... had to call the AA out to get into it... happened again in the same spot a few weeks later! (yeah yeah, I did point out the obvious!!)
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:15 am

Definitely RF interference. I have found several parking lots where you have to hold the remote no more than a foot from the driver's side window to get the remote to work at all and this situation is repeatable - you will see these symptoms every time you go there while another parking lot a mile away will work fine from 30 or more feet away.

The worst spot is near a Home Depot close to where I work, so I have repeated the remote failures dozens of time since I have owned the car. It is not related to the key being discharged at all.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

Gauss

Post by Gauss » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:10 am

Anyone know if theres a secret key turning sequence to unlock the whole car using the rear roundel.