Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oddment storage would not open when unlocking car

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
magicogar

Oddment storage would not open when unlocking car

Post by magicogar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:34 am

Hi,

I've just noticed I cannot open the oddment storage (middle compartment). I've unlocked the car several times and tried my key to unlock also and I still cannot press to open the compartment. Anybody with an answer would be great as all my vehicle info is in there. Thanks!!

Citation 650

Post by Citation 650 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:20 am

Have you tried using the door unlock button on the console instead of the key? :?

GP20

Post by GP20 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:45 am

If you bought the car used, it's lilkely that the previous owner had had the dealer do the modification so that when the car was locked, the center console door would stay locked even if someone reached into the cabin and hit the un-lock button.
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:04 pm

magicogar welcome to the forum... :thumbsup:
Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. Let us know how this works out and what the problem was.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:34 pm

GP20

my understanding was this compartment always locked when the car was locked.

I only wish the glove box was the same

magicogar

Post by magicogar » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:45 am

Yes I did tried the unlock/lock button in the middle console. When I first bought the car, it did lock and unlock whenever I hit the unlock on the key and in the center console. The only thing I remembered was bringing my car to the stealers and had them programmed my alarm I installed and other features (unlock trunk only if alarm is unarmed and a few others). I will bet they did do something to have it locked at all times now. They also turned on my daytime running lights which I hate and didn't told them to.
Oh well, at least I figured out the emergency latch in the trunk to unlock it and have my papers if the cops pulled me over. If I bring it out to the stealers again, I'm pretty sure they'll charge me another 100 bucks to look at it and reprogram it. And they'll probably do something else unneccesary to it that I may have to bring my car out there again. :thumbsdown: I'll just deal with it unlocked for now.

GP20

Post by GP20 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:16 am

srhutch wrote:GP20

my understanding was this compartment always locked when the car was locked.
You're correct. But now if you reach into the cabin and hit the center console unlock button (behind the shifter), the center compartment is now unlocked. German engineering eh!
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

magicogar

Post by magicogar » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:36 pm

GP20.....Yeah I did tried unlocking it from the center console button and I still couldn't get the oddment storage open. I got frustrated and almost tried to get my handy screwdriver to pry it open until I realized there's an emergency latch in the trunk. Noticed also that I can't even pressed the latch to release the softtop. Now that I pulled the emergency latch in the trunk, I can't get the storage to lock now after pressing the alarm or lock the car. Oh well, this is my first electrical problem. Will be looking forward to many more to come. :cry:

zee42

Post by zee42 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:28 am

Kick It really really hard!!!! :driving: