Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

z4 steering seized - EPS?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:29 am

I’m getting mine ready for another track day. It’s been flawless but I guess it’s time when things need replacing based on its age.

Does anyone have a part number for the eps?
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:35 am

I think you might need to look at your own one to check the part number I’m not sure to be honest

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:10 am

CheapZ4 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:06 pm I am near Amersham, I can do all the work myself but I do like to only do work that is necessary to fix the issues hence why I joined this forum and have been researching in my spare time to work out what I need to do and if there is any way I can rebuild the column myself! I did sort out my roof motor and now the motor works but there is a leak somewhere as well so that was a waste of time since the :thumbsup: roof will never work without at least one new hinge lol it’s all fun and games. Thank you for your kind offer though bud
No problem. If you need to check anything about the EPS motor pm me
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:04 am

AaronMaguire wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:29 am I’m getting mine ready for another track day. It’s been flawless but I guess it’s time when things need replacing based on its age.

Does anyone have a part number for the eps?
It is simpler to get yours fixed by ECU Testing when it fails. Very fast service.

However, if you're looking to have a spare (which would need coding to your car), then if you get the part number of yours ECU Testing should be able to tell you which other numbers are compatible. Post it up on here as a wanted and one of us should hopefully be able to supply a spare one.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:06 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:10 am
CheapZ4 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:06 pm I am near Amersham, I can do all the work myself but I do like to only do work that is necessary to fix the issues hence why I joined this forum and have been researching in my spare time to work out what I need to do and if there is any way I can rebuild the column myself! I did sort out my roof motor and now the motor works but there is a leak somewhere as well so that was a waste of time since the :thumbsup: roof will never work without at least one new hinge lol it’s all fun and games. Thank you for your kind offer though bud
No problem. If you need to check anything about the EPS motor pm me
Thanks for the PM. Sounds more likely to be a Steering Angle Sensor from your description.
Hopefully bigwinn can help you with that. Good luck. :thumbsup:

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:45 am

EPS update.

I have just received my car back from the suspension and alignment garage.
I took it in on Wednesday. It was too low for my liking after installing the coil overs myself which coincidentally triggered the EPS fault.
I told the garage this and they reset the ride heights, aligned the car (it was way out, understandably).
The fault code was intermittent during this stage. The garage reset the steering angle sensor and cleared the EPS code which worked....

This morning (Friday), the garage tested the car and it was fine... until they tested it again at 12pm when the light came back on.
I picked the car up and drove it back to the office. About 4kms down the road the EPS started to work. I've parked it at work and will head home in 2 hours time.
I will check it again.

I'm thinking the motor is getting power to the unit randomly. Unsure if it's an electrical thing of the unit itself.
Someone in the UK has offered to sell an extra one they have.
Here in Australia, these cars are quite rare and very few in the auto wreckers.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers,
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:18 am

AaronMaguire wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:45 am EPS update.

I have just received my car back from the suspension and alignment garage.
I took it in on Wednesday. It was too low for my liking after installing the coil overs myself which coincidentally triggered the EPS fault.
I told the garage this and they reset the ride heights, aligned the car (it was way out, understandably).
The fault code was intermittent during this stage. The garage reset the steering angle sensor and cleared the EPS code which worked....

This morning (Friday), the garage tested the car and it was fine... until they tested it again at 12pm when the light came back on.
I picked the car up and drove it back to the office. About 4kms down the road the EPS started to work. I've parked it at work and will head home in 2 hours time.
I will check it again.

I'm thinking the motor is getting power to the unit randomly. Unsure if it's an electrical thing of the unit itself.
Someone in the UK has offered to sell an extra one they have.
Here in Australia, these cars are quite rare and very few in the auto wreckers.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Your best bet is to see how it goes, from what I’ve researched and been told about the EPS is it will stop communicating with any scan tool you use to read the fault codes. If yours is still communicating and giving a fault code then see if you can find out what the fault code is exactly for and go from there.

There is a torque sensor in the Column separate from the EPS motor but is part of the EPS system so might be the issue. There is also a sensor under the passenger seat which I believe is a YAW sensor and interacts with the EPS as well.

I downloaded bmw INPA software to my laptop and bought a cable to go with it which really helped because the generic bmw code reader I got on Amazon was giving false readings and leading me to believe the SAS sensor was faulty when in fact my issue seems to be the EPS module which I have sent for testing and repairs and I am waiting to hear the news.

My car gave no faults codes whatsoever about the EPS, SAS or anything else. Just the yellow steering light on the dash and no power steering at all.

If it is the EPS which to be honest I think it probably is then have a google for a company in your country who will test and rebuild it as this way the fault will never come back or it’s a lot less likely to come back. If you get a second hand unit that hasn’t been rebuilt then you will probably have this issue again.

I am just giving suggestions and I am by no means an expert at all on this subject.

MKZ4000

Post by MKZ4000 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:29 am

I believe ECUtesting will sell you an existing refurbed motor (they may want yours still as an exchange) It's slightly more than refurbing your own but not much and they ship worldwide.
BMW E85 Z4M
BMW E85 Z4 2.5
Gone Z4 E85 3.0

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:35 am

MKZ4000 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:29 am I believe ECUtesting will sell you an existing refurbed motor (they may want yours still as an exchange) It's slightly more than refurbing your own but not much and they ship worldwide.
The only options I have is ‘get yours rebuilt’ on their website. I sent mine in so they can test it and rebuild if necessary.

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:55 am

I've managed to get my steering column outing detach the motor and send it off to ECU Testing.
Courier companies are expensive and painful. I'm really hoping it arrives by close of business Monday and there aren't any holdups.
It is what it is I guess at the end of day.
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:16 am

AaronMaguire wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:55 am I've managed to get my steering column outing detach the motor and send it off to ECU Testing.
Courier companies are expensive and painful. I'm really hoping it arrives by close of business Monday and there aren't any holdups.
Nice job! Lock the steering column with the steering lock if you haven’t already and leave it alone as if you turn the wheel too far left or right you can damage the torque sensor wires in the column.

Mines in for repair the last update I got was to tell be they are working on it so fingers crossed tomorrow it will be ready to be sent back to me or by the end of the week.
Hope yours gets turned around quickly! They charge £16.50 in the uk for shipping. I dread to think what it’s costing you to send it.

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:29 am

CheapZ4 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:16 am
AaronMaguire wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:55 am I've managed to get my steering column outing detach the motor and send it off to ECU Testing.
Nice job! Lock the steering column with the steering lock if you haven’t already and leave it alone as if you turn the wheel too far left or right you can damage the torque sensor wires in the column.

Mines in for repair the last update I got was to tell be they are working on it so fingers crossed tomorrow it will be ready to be sent back to me or by the end of the week.
Hope yours gets turned around quickly! They charge £16.50 in the uk for shipping. I dread to think what it’s costing you to send it.
It cost me $250aud (145 pounds)
Thanks for the tip. The column is sitting in the boot. I'm not planning on touching the car until it returns. I'll lock it up though.
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:07 am

AaronMaguire wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:29 am
CheapZ4 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:16 am

It cost me $250aud (145 pounds)
Thanks for the tip. The column is sitting in the boot. I'm not planning on touching the car until it returns. I'll lock it up though.
Oh man! Wish I’d seen this before! You can get the motor out without touching the column.
Hope it all goes well for you.

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:37 am

Yeah I realised that after I got it out. Ha ha. All good.

It’ll allow me a chance to tidy things up under the dash. Bummed I broke the clutch spring holder.
Worse things in life to worry about.
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:01 pm

AaronMaguire wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:37 am Yeah I realised that after I got it out. Ha ha. All good.

It’ll allow me a chance to tidy things up under the dash. Bummed I broke the clutch spring holder.
Worse things in life to worry about.
Mines all sorted and back in the car. It’s transformed it obviously now the EPS is working!

I now have the other common jobs to do around the car!