Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

z4 steering seized - EPS?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
alane29

Post by alane29 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Can that adjustment be done with the column insitu ?
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:38 pm

alane29 wrote:Can that adjustment be done with the column insitu ?
Yes no need to remove anything other than the interior column cover , its literally undoing torx head bolts , adjust a mm or 2mm one way then retighten
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:15 pm

ex4x4 wrote:Thankyou all once again chaps for your thoughts and input, lots of avenues to explore......
I tested the battery at 11.9 volts after being stood for 24 hours and with engine running/alternator charge output is 14.2. Started car and left her tick over for 30 mins to give battery a good charging. - currently at 12.8 v with ignition off.
started car once again but EPS fault still present.
Ive had no prewarning of the issue - this is what is strange - as if something has just suddenly snapped or blown or has been removed by the Zed pixies over night - one minute fine - next minute game over.
I may have to find a indie in the North east to scan & rectify - but I hate being beat by cars :x
I'm not sure if I'm reading your battery voltage readings correctly but if yours was charged and dropped to 11.9v after 24hrs but is showing over 14v when idling the battery is probably pooped and is excessively discharging when stood.

Normal figures should be,
A standing charged battery should be holding 12.4 ish Volts. Under 12 is knackered and will cause all kinds of weird electrical gremlins.
With the engine running the alternator should be giving around 13.7v at idle and not much over about 14.5v

Getting the code identified/cleared and maybe swapping out a suspect battery will eliminate the simple and most likely cause first and could be a very cheap alternative to tampering with the EPS or paying for expensive EPS fixes afterwards.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:49 pm

Did you find a solution? Mine has just shown me the EPS light after new suspension and lowering it.
Will Jack it up today and see what happens. 🤦🏻🤷
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:13 am

I just bought a 03 Z4 with an EPS fault. It’s also had 2 front struts put on it by the previous owner or their mechanic 🤷‍♂️. I don’t know if it’s linked and I’m trying to find out what’s going on. Let me know if you get any answers and I’ll do the same for you.

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:53 am

Great thanks.
I jacked the car up today, wheels turned freely but still had the fault code light on, checked on my fault code reader which didn’t turn up anything. Got my laptop out with INPA on it and ran a test but my rod was not responding. Checked a bunch of forum, soldered my 7and 8 pin together as that allows access to all modules but nothing. 🤦🏻.
I took it for a drive around the block, heavy steering initially but it was surprising good when I got moving.
I’ll be taking it over to my mechanic on Monday morning as he has a better computer system and hopefully will be able to clear the code.
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:50 pm

Ok so the steering is free when it’s up in the air and very stiff when it’s on the ground which means it’s something to do with the EPS and if you can’t communicate with the EPS via a decent scan tool which I can’t, just tells me there is no communication to the EPS and that could be bad news for both of us meaning the EPS is faulty and needs a rebuild but I’m not losing hope yet! I’ll have to try a few things on mine and I’ll let you know how I get on next week thanks

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:32 pm

Sounds like the EPS motor to me, very common issue and is only getting more common as they're getting older. Will probably need to remove the motor and get it refurbed/buy a used one.
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:09 pm

EPS motor remove refit is actually very easy and ecu testing will turn it round round in 48 hours for £295. Done a few now and got the knack if you need any help
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

AaronMaguire

Post by AaronMaguire » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:20 pm

The EPS unit is a generic BMW part right? Meaning it’s not a rare part.
Anything with Z4 written on it costs a fortune over in Australia.
MY04 Z4 3.0 Manual.
MY19 Skoda Octavia VRS

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:02 pm

I did have a look at the eps rebuilding services and i think the ECU named one wants at least £310 or up depending on the part number and if it turns out it’s not faulty then they’ll only charge a testing fee but they wouldn’t let me know how much that is so I’m on the fence about it or just selling the car as is. Wouldn’t have minded giving it a little tlc and using it for the summer but that might not happen with money being tight.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:14 pm

CheapZ4 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:02 pm I did have a look at the eps rebuilding services and i think the ECU named one wants at least £310 or up depending on the part number and if it turns out it’s not faulty then they’ll only charge a testing fee but they wouldn’t let me know how much that is so I’m on the fence about it or just selling the car as is. Wouldn’t have minded giving it a little tlc and using it for the summer but that might not happen with money being tight.
£295 through their eBay ad. If there’s no fault they only charge you the postage

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:31 pm

I didn’t know they are also on eBay, I’ll have a look now thanks. I think it’s a reasonable price and it will get the car driving well again.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:35 pm

CheapZ4 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:31 pm I didn’t know they are also on eBay, I’ll have a look now thanks. I think it’s a reasonable price and it will get the car driving well again.
Where are you?
Can you do the work yourself?
Do you need any help?

CheapZ4

Post by CheapZ4 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:06 pm

I am near Amersham, I can do all the work myself but I do like to only do work that is necessary to fix the issues hence why I joined this forum and have been researching in my spare time to work out what I need to do and if there is any way I can rebuild the column myself! I did sort out my roof motor and now the motor works but there is a leak somewhere as well so that was a waste of time since the roof will never work without at least one new hinge lol it’s all fun and games. Thank you for your kind offer though bud