Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electronic Parking Brake Failure

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:01 am

Smartbear wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:05 pm
Guitarman wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:59 pm Oh blimey!☹
Was going to wait for the car while they replaced the battery and registered it. If it needs a software update then looks like they will need the car all day. Good grief
If you read the thread, there’s a guy on here that’s offered to do the update for forum members but you obviously have to drive to him for that to happen.
Rob
My battery is only about four months old :headbang:
And I live in California so too far for the Gentleman's help.
Really this is a defect but in my experience BMW loathes stepping up and taking responsibility for defects.

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:04 am

Smartbear wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:27 pm
Valor1 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:59 am My Ebrake just had this failure. Car with 14k original miles, 2009 35i.

Interesting thing is it happened after driving the car for an hour on the motorway and with what I believe is a good battery.
How old is your battery?
Rob
Barely 4 months old :(

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:04 am

tintoverano wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:27 pm
Valor1 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:59 am My Ebrake just had this failure. Car with 14k original miles, 2009 35i.

Interesting thing is it happened after driving the car for an hour on the motorway and with what I believe is a good battery.
first check the 5 Amp fuse in JB

JB? Is that what we in the US call a fuse box?

I pulled a bunch of fuses, all looked good....at least the ones I could access. Made no difference as the E brake still doesn't work. :headbang:

Well, after dealing with the fuse box in the E89 for the first time I felt like getting rid of this car! A fuse box should be readily available for access for all the obvious reasons. It's bad enough you have to unscrew a panel to get to it, but I could not figure out how to get to get good access to the panel. Then of course is the fact that the panel IS NOT LABELED??? wtf???? How are you supposed to know what fuse does what??? Oh, well maybe BMW put this info in the manual??? NOPE!

What a POS!

Why can Ferrari build fuse panels with clearly labeled fuses and relays for decades and this BMW is nearly impossible to access and impossible to decipher its fuses? I can't believe BMW has not been sued for this. And so many people are having "E-Brake" failures????

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:36 am

there's an insert with a diagram, not hard to miss when you open the box

you need to check the ones in the top-left corner

hold them against light, it is easy to miss a burnt fuse
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Valor1

Post by Valor1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:59 am

tintoverano wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:36 am there's an insert with a diagram, not hard to miss when you open the box

you need to check the ones in the top-left corner

hold them against light, it is easy to miss a burnt fuse
Thanks, but I've downloaded images of the fuse panel layout. I don't see a card in my fusebox. that's a real wanky way for BMW to do it. Problem is I can't really get to the top of the fuse panel. There's a plastic sort of bar that runs across the top of the panel and the panel itself only rotates part of the way open. Also, not really sure why there are at least 3 or 4 different types of fuses. Not fuse ratings, but actual physical fuse sizes.

Also, speaking of the diagrams, I have no idea which "picture" corresponds to the Parking brake as none looking like the dash light or say "P"

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:46 pm

Resurrecting an old thread.

I purchased a 2011 23i and the test drive was fine apart from the low battery warning on the dash, guess the car had been sat around for a few weeks, so asked them to check battery and put a new one on the car.

Went to collect and was told the handbrake had an issue and that the wheel speed sensor need to be replaced, part ordered and told to come back two days later, I informed the garage this was going to be a battery issue and possibly a simple check was to try and operate the roof on the remote - if it failed then battery needs replacing but they said the battery was checked and all ok.

Went back two days later and they have changed the sensor but now have the warning light on the dash and cant shift it - once again said this is a battery issue and it needs to be replaced.

Car now off to BMW for checking, guess they still would have had to do the software update - I will be making certain I get a new battery on the car as well.

OGR
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 pm

I had the dreaded handbrake fail on Sunday. luckily managed to update the EMF software this evening with my laptop so hopefully won’t happen again, it had a new battery at the beginning of the year but hasn’t had much use over the last few months so I will have to make sure I keep it charged.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Rory35i

Post by Rory35i » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:22 pm

E89 park brake issue.

Hi had a problem with battery for a few weeks then park brake issue appeared, have replaced battery, not bad as it was original battery and 10 years old. Mechanic checked everything and said there were no issues and it needed a software update.

Went to Stratstone Derby, wanted £120 to do diagnostics and then extra to fix any issues.

Went to German Automative in Derby and they took VIN and ran a check have come back with £152 which includes VAT.

Anyone know anywhere near Derby that can beat this, or does it sound reasonable?
Rory 35i
BMW Z4 35i 2009
Space Grey

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:44 pm

Rory35i wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:22 pm E89 park brake issue.

Hi had a problem with battery for a few weeks then park brake issue appeared, have replaced battery, not bad as it was original battery and 10 years old. Mechanic checked everything and said there were no issues and it needed a software update.

Went to Stratstone Derby, wanted £120 to do diagnostics and then extra to fix any issues.

Went to German Automative in Derby and they took VIN and ran a check have come back with £152 which includes VAT.

Anyone know anywhere near Derby that can beat this, or does it sound reasonable?
They are a good outfit, better technically than BMW Derby. £152 is fair, it'll take them a couple of hours for a full update with ISTA/P.

It's much quicker as a DIY when using other tools like WinKFP as you will typically only bother updating the ebrake. They will probably do a full update with ISTA/P which takes much longer depending on many modules need updating.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:30 pm

The diagnostic charge annoys me - They are supposed to be the experts and should have the experience/knowledge to determine a fault without plugging a bit of key into a port!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:36 pm

Ive never completely understood how or why this happens or how they get away with it. They must be among the only places who get away with charging for a quote to carry out work.
Can you imagine if everything else in life you were charged for to find out how much it was going to cost.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:25 pm

I’m not defending it but merely articulating the issue...

The whole world of car maintenance is based on computerised tools plugged simultaneously both into the car and the manufactures’ master databases..

So to trouble shoot / assess what / if problems exist they need to plug a puter into the car run a whole bunch of diagnostics, the previous service / event history then they know to an extent what needs to be done..

So someone has to pay for that...

I guess you could opt out after the diagnostics so you have to pay for that first step?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:34 pm

Its kinda my point though, loads of other people spend time and money supplying quotes for work without charging like roofers, roughcasters, landscapers etc. It costs them money that they may not get back, what makes car dealerships different from anyone else.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:51 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:30 pm The diagnostic charge annoys me - They are supposed to be the experts and should have the experience/knowledge to determine a fault without plugging a bit of key into a port!
Without diagnostic tests they’d just be making an educated guess Ron, if most customers paid hundreds of pounds and it didn’t cure the issue because it was just based on a hunch most would be pretty hacked off i guess :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:07 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:51 pm
ronk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:30 pm The diagnostic charge annoys me - They are supposed to be the experts and should have the experience/knowledge to determine a fault without plugging a bit of key into a port!
Without diagnostic tests they’d just be making an educated guess Ron, if most customers paid hundreds of pounds and it didn’t cure the issue because it was just based on a hunch most would be pretty hacked off i guess :?
Rob
I think there will be times when diagnostic tools are invaluable but they have generally seen faults / failures before.
I wonder how many times the charge for diagnostics when the fault is obvious to them ?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: