Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

VagBremTechnic Big Brake Kit for E85/E86 Z4 'M' models

"M" Specific discussion
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:13 pm

philipw wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:23 pm Now fitted with Hawk HPS 2.0 pads. I am using 12mm spacers however they may fit without.

From a quick road test, initial bite is quicker and more importantly for me pressing the brake pedal results in a more progressive application of the brakes. Keen to try them on track as the benefits would be more apparent, I am hoping temperature will be better controlled as I found the stock calipers generated an immense amount of heat concentrated to a small area.
Aha, excellent work! Interested to hear how you get on. I haven’t gotten anywhere near the limits of mine (no track time yet) with just stock pads and fluid.

One thing I’d like to do is code out the emergency brake assist. They are, as you say, more progressive but I think getting rid of this will make braking completely predictable in all conditions.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

philipw

Post by philipw » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:12 pm

MrPT wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:13 pm
philipw wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:23 pm Now fitted with Hawk HPS 2.0 pads. I am using 12mm spacers however they may fit without.

From a quick road test, initial bite is quicker and more importantly for me pressing the brake pedal results in a more progressive application of the brakes. Keen to try them on track as the benefits would be more apparent, I am hoping temperature will be better controlled as I found the stock calipers generated an immense amount of heat concentrated to a small area.
Aha, excellent work! Interested to hear how you get on. I haven’t gotten anywhere near the limits of mine (no track time yet) with just stock pads and fluid.

One thing I’d like to do is code out the emergency brake assist. They are, as you say, more progressive but I think getting rid of this will make braking completely predictable in all conditions.
Will do, I am running the same setup (Hawk pads/Motul 660/braided lines) as I had with the floating calipers. I found I was still getting brake fade so hoping I will see an improvement on that front.

Do you mean dynamic brake control? It does unsettle the car by drastically increasing braking pressure when quickly getting off the throttle and onto the brakes.

It is easily deactivated using NCS Expert/NCS dummy.
You need to find BB_RAB and select Nicht active
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 19.03.36.png
Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 19.03.36.png (186.15 KiB) Viewed 970 times
08 Carbon Black M Coupe

philipw

Post by philipw » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:18 pm

Should anyone need caliper part numbers.

DB9/Vantage

or

Audi RS3 8P/TTRS 8J
8J0615107
8J0615108
08 Carbon Black M Coupe

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:39 pm

philipw wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:12 pm Do you mean dynamic brake control? It does unsettle the car by drastically increasing braking pressure when quickly getting off the throttle and onto the brakes.

It is easily deactivated using NCS Expert/NCS dummy.
You need to find BB_RAB and select Nicht active
Thanks. Got the kit just haven’t gotten round to it.

It’s a strange feature for a sports car to have. Just thoughtlessly carried over from the rest of the range, maybe.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

ga41

Post by ga41 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:54 am

It's for help in emergency stops basically. If you go really sharply from throttle to braking it assumes that you're about to crash and assists you by braking even harder than you did. It's very annoying on the track though...
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --