Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting wind deflector - solved 'how to'.

ScoobyR1

Post by ScoobyR1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:14 am

jnwright71 wrote:Thanks Russ59.

I actually completed my install on Saturday having visited a dealer to get just those measurements.

Also for info, the boot brackets need 4 x small plastic speed nuts to secure the screws. These are not listed on realoem.com or anywhere else that is easy to find. However, I can confirm they are a standard BMW part, no. 63171367868 and cost a very reasonable £0.23 + VAT each.

Hope this helps,

James
Hi James
Excellent write up and very helpful, my issue is with the boot fitment, I've bought the "rawl plug" style speed nuts but the right hand side won't tighten up enough to allow the diffuser to be held tight in the boot are these what you fitted?
Attachments
DSC_0774.JPG
DSC_0774.JPG (52.09 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
'03 Titan Silver 3.0 auto. Hand controls, CC, MFSW CSL reps, H&R ARB's, :thumbsup:

Now sold '03 Sterling grey 2.5 E85 :(

ScoobyR1

Post by ScoobyR1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:29 am

Here's another photo to hopefully explain the situation. The pic I wanted to post is too high a resolution /file size so I can't post it.
:headbang:
Attachments
DSC_0773.JPG
DSC_0773.JPG (47.92 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
'03 Titan Silver 3.0 auto. Hand controls, CC, MFSW CSL reps, H&R ARB's, :thumbsup:

jnwright71

Post by jnwright71 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi ScoobyR1,

These appear to be the speed nuts I bought. I just pressed them into the holes in the boot and screwed the bracket into place. Are the screws definitely the same as used on the LHS ? The speed nuts should be quite hard to press into place.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, James
2006 Z4 2.5si roadster - Silvergrey, oregon peal grey leather, cruise, BT

ScoobyR1

Post by ScoobyR1 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Hi James

Thanks for reassuring me I had the correct fittings. I could only fit them in one way, turned through 90 degrees and they were really to tight, the other way - 90 degrees and they were really loose. Maybe I need to put them in the tight way and just be a bit more forceful? Possibly the size of the screws I got which seemed a wee bit small, although I got the part number off realoem. :?

Will check this out when I'm back home on Tuesday.

Cheers Stu

ScoobyR1

Post by ScoobyR1 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:22 pm

jnwright71 wrote:Hi ScoobyR1,

These appear to be the speed nuts I bought. I just pressed them into the holes in the boot and screwed the bracket into place. Are the screws definitely the same as used on the LHS ? The speed nuts should be quite hard to press into place.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, James
D'oh!! :oops:

Can't believe how dozy I feel!
Simply rotated fittings through 90degree and pushed home more forcefully and job done. :headbang:

Many thanks for pointing out the obvious :rofl:

jnwright71

Post by jnwright71 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:38 pm

Good news :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2006 Z4 2.5si roadster - Silvergrey, oregon peal grey leather, cruise, BT

stevespg

Post by stevespg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:17 pm

stevespg wrote:thanks for your comments, ill double check everything again. i measured 10mm from the top of the rubber trim to the bottom of the bracket with the bracket 7/8 mm from the split line as per your post, marked the holes, then checked the holes from the bottom of the trim. doing this i get holes at 60 and 140, so 5mm shorter than your dimensions, which seem very clear

I can use the body as a reference point, OR the top of the rubber, but i get a 5mm difference.... quite a lot!
well after a lot of "faffing and measuring" finally mounted these. used a small 4 mm drill bit and used a piece of wire to "find" the threaded hole behind, and opened the small holes in the cover with a dremel . all worked out just fine with a tidy job.
noted the comment about the threads being tight so used some plastic grease on the threads which made them much easier to tighten without feeling i was just about to snap one.
I cant believe how much difference the mesh makes, at motorway speeds there is far less buffeting. I've ordered a kit to stow the mesh in the boot, but i cant see it coming off much unless i have a long journey with the roof on and want a little better visibility....

thanks all
Z4 3.0si - gone
Z4MR - gone
E89 35i - gone

85genius

Post by 85genius » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Just got a set of brackets today big thanks to jamesditchy for sending me his spares :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've noticed they are marked let and right but anyone tell me if that is as if I'm stood in front facing the car or if I'm sat in the car? Probably a really stupid question but thought it best to check before I take a drill to the car
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:46 pm

85genius wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:34 pm Just got a set of brackets today big thanks to jamesditchy for sending me his spares :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've noticed they are marked let and right but anyone tell me if that is as if I'm stood in front facing the car or if I'm sat in the car? Probably a really stupid question but thought it best to check before I take a drill to the car

Left as in left passenger side, right as in driver side (UK).
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

85genius

Post by 85genius » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:48 pm

Russ59 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:46 pm
85genius wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:34 pm Just got a set of brackets today big thanks to jamesditchy for sending me his spares :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Left as in left passenger side, right as in driver side (UK).
Cheers hopefully its dry tomorrow and I'll get em fitted

85genius

Post by 85genius » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:29 pm

It's on! Even had time to take it on a run to celebrate before it started pissing it down.

Thanks for posting the pictures made fitting dead easy
Attachments
DSC_0206.JPG
DSC_0206.JPG (96.69 KiB) Viewed 2488 times

sure2drive

Post by sure2drive » Sat May 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Well done 85 genius. I finally fitted mine last Monday (Bank Holiday) and as promised previously I said I would post some pics, so here they are and I hope they might help.
Remember measure 6 times and then try a small 2mm hole! Takes a lot of nerve before drilling, but once you start it's fine.
I recommend a bradle a hand drill, but each to his own :D Good luck :)
Attachments
Apart from the obvios masking tape and pencil and ruler, I used a bradle to start the hole off, then a hand drill with 2mm drill then a 6mm drill once I was sure I had located the predrilled fixing inside the hoop, then the star socket and as mentioned before, it helps to grease the screw as ou don't want to overtighten or snap it.
Apart from the obvios masking tape and pencil and ruler, I used a bradle to start the hole off, then a hand drill with 2mm drill then a 6mm drill once I was sure I had located the predrilled fixing inside the hoop, then the star socket and as mentioned before, it helps to grease the screw as ou don't want to overtighten or snap it.
tools.JPG (127.7 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
The lower hole should be 15mm from the back edge of the front hoop.
The lower hole should be 15mm from the back edge of the front hoop.
nearside bottom 2.JPG (64.75 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
The lower hole should be 45mm up from the TOP of the trim at the base.
The lower hole should be 45mm up from the TOP of the trim at the base.
Nearside bottom 1.JPG (76.25 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Loosley secure bracket with lower screw and then use it as a template for the top hole. The bracket edge should be 7mm from the back edge of the front hoop. Mark and drill. Remember not to overtighten.
Loosley secure bracket with lower screw and then use it as a template for the top hole. The bracket edge should be 7mm from the back edge of the front hoop. Mark and drill. Remember not to overtighten.
nearside as template.JPG (78.78 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Hopefully it should look like this.
Hopefully it should look like this.
nearside holes.JPG (82.13 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
And then this
And then this
nearside fitted.JPG (90.69 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
repeat procedure on offside and hopefully it will all fit nicely.
repeat procedure on offside and hopefully it will all fit nicely.
IMG_2761.JPG (105.47 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
If you want to give God a good laugh,...tell him your plans.

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:03 pm

sure2drive wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:01 pm Well done 85 genius. I finally fitted mine last Monday (Bank Holiday) and as promised previously I said I would post some pics, so here they are and I hope they might help.
Remember measure 6 times and then try a small 2mm hole! Takes a lot of nerve before drilling, but once you start it's fine.
I recommend a bradle a hand drill, but each to his own :D Good luck :)

Did my measurements measure up😉 or did you have to make adjustments?
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

sure2drive

Post by sure2drive » Mon May 13, 2019 4:39 pm

Russ59 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:03 pm Did my measurements measure up😉 or did you have to make adjustments?
Hi Russ, sorry for delay.
I think your bottom measurement was spot on, 65 mm from bottom of the trim at the base. as well as the 7mm measurement between the side of the bracket and the back edge of the hoop. These were the two that I really found the best as it enabled me locate the bottom hole exactly. Once I had put a small pilot holel through the plastic of the hoop and found the fixing, I knew it was going to be ok. The top hole I didn't use a measurement (except the 7mm gap between edge of hoop and bracket) and just centred the drill point having lightly fixed the bottom end of the bracket. That meant the top hole was also spot on.
I did the same for the next hoop, taking your measuremants for the bottom position. That was spot on too, and then for some stupid reason thought it would be clever to take my own measurement for the top fixing from the side I had already done, rather than use the bracket as a template.
The result was as per the photo, a nice key hole! because my measurement was out by about 3mm. I did the pilot hole and must have hit a void because it went in ok and I thought that meant I had found the centre of the fixing...I hadn't! So I had to exppand the hole downwards.
I should just have used the bracket as a template, and that shows how accurate you need to be, which I wasn't :headbang:
So the moral is, your measurement for the bottom hole is just what I needed and correct, and I would forget the top measurement, just use the bracket as a template with the 7mm measurement between the edges.
At least I think thats the best way, and as someone said earlier, if you get it a bit wrong like I did, there is a bit of leeway to cover it up.
So now I have had to expose my incompetence with a photo, doh! :headbang: :headbang:
So I am really grateful for the original post, I would not have been able to do this without your measurements.
Thanks.
Attachments
slight error in measurement owing to failure to pay attention!
slight error in measurement owing to failure to pay attention!
Hole error.JPG (60.99 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
If you want to give God a good laugh,...tell him your plans.

the_don46

Post by the_don46 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:10 am

Hi all. Great post. I just received my wind deflector and of course now realised my car needs to be adapted to fit the deflector. The place on eBay I ordered the wind deflector from only supplied the wind deflector. I am after the part numbers for the brackets, torx bolt and cover cap. Anyone know what they are so I can try find them on eBay? :)