Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

It's the beeping that's driving me mad...

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Roadster

Post by Roadster » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:55 pm

Zedrider wrote:Sounds like it may be the seat belt microswitch in the passenger seat. Does it still beep with 2 on board?
The passenger microswitch in mine is hyper sensitive and even a light object on the seat means I have to fasten the passenger belt up.
Wouldn't that imply that the seatbelt light on the dash would also be illuminated? I get nothing other than the incessant beeping every forth or fifth trip. If it were the gas cap (or any other detectible failure) I belive the light would come on. If it were the parking brake switch I'd get the brake light warning. So I was thinking it's either in the headlight controller or iginition switch. Those are the only two sources (that I can think of) to generate noise that don't also illuminate a light. However, if it were the headlight switch then the beeping would stop when the vehicle is started. I would think the same would apply to the ignition switch warning because it's only set up to beep when it detects a door open, key in, and not running. So I'm wondering if it's not the computer...

Zedrider

Post by Zedrider » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:12 pm

Under normal conditions it would, but with an intermittent fault of some sort you just never know. Next time it happens fasten the passenger belt and see what happens. If it continues at least you have eliminated one possibility.
Warp Speed Mr Zulu.

zee42

Post by zee42 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:18 pm

if it continues a large can of ronsonol and a zippo can fix it

Kdawg

Post by Kdawg » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:33 am

Aebous wrote:That Avator rocks! Can I steal it?
fire-n-ice wrote:uh-uh, no way hose! If anyone gets to steal it, I'm stealing it :violent1:

T.

:lol: Well, I can't forbid you from taking it, since I found it on a ymntd. It makes me smile every time I see it. Does anyone know where the phrase in the avatar originated?

:hijacked:

Sorry.. back on topic. Yes, try buckling seatbelt next time to at least rule it out. Also, I did find something on edmunds that might point the problem to an internal fault in the dash cluster:
edmunds wrote: The interior dash "alarm" started beeping for reasons unknown to me. I had trouble getting the car unlocked and had to open/close it with the key several times. The seatbelt was NOT stuck in the door. I opened and closed all the doors and restarted the car 4 times. I had to drive 5 miles with it beeping, then left it (still beeping) while parked and no key in ignition. Came back in 2 hours and it had stopped.
Thanks
edmunds wrote:Tech found internal fault in dash cluster and cluster was replaced. Evidently this is a known issue. Hopefully, it was related to the door problems. thank you.
Complete thread here: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f92ec
Past: 1999 z3 2.8 - Arctic Silver Metallic
Present: 2005 z4 3.0i - Titanium Silver

Roadster

Post by Roadster » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:01 am

Kdawg wrote: Tech found internal fault in dash cluster and cluster was replaced. Evidently this is a known issue. Hopefully, it was related to the door problems. thank you.
Kdwag nailed it. It took them all day to get it to fail, but when it did it was a bad instrument cluster.

Replacement part will be in by the end of the week. As soon as she's back from that repair she'll be on craigslist. This is one headache I can live without...

And BTW, I always have my pax belt buckled... it keeps the buckle from flopping around between the seat and the door during "spirited" driving and it gives me something hand to clip the cell phone onto.

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:53 pm

Thanks for letting us know roadster, and I totally understand about the headache thing. I would be discouraged too :( . Good luck!
T.

zee42

Post by zee42 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:56 pm

soooooo whats next...another "Z" or a bycycle with a bsaket...what?????

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:16 am

poor Zee...feeling a little dsylexic today are we???there there... :friends: