Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit Cupholders (half finished!)

Wondermike

Retrofit Cupholders (half finished!)

Post by Wondermike » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:56 pm

Prise off blanking plate
Unscrew screw
Prise little rubber cap off and remove screw
Pull out air vent assembly
Insert cupholder and fix with screws
Put back bottom screw
Put back top screw
Search everywhere for little rubber cap
Put back little rubber cap

outrun

Re: Retrofit Cupholders (half finished!)

Post by outrun » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:40 am

Mike, where did you get the cupholders? I didn't spec them and on my recent trip to Monaco my friend did nothing but moan about the lack of cupholders. CSL wheels, CDV, Eibach springs, remap, pogo alert, fancy ipod connector, Iphone cradle, and NO CUPHOLDERS!

Cheers
2007 z4mc carbon black - gone but not forgotten. The guy I sold to still has it, maybe one day I will buy it back.
Now - Maserati Gransport with many mods. Sounds incredible.

X-S-Z

Post by X-S-Z » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Is it a worthwhile mod? I've had similar complaints from passengers akin to outrun, but have noticed a lot of forum members complaining about them as being useless? I am not keen on the appearance of the ultimate cup holder, I like the OEM idea that its hidden when not in use.
Current: Imola red Z4MR
Previous: Z4 3.0i SE, 118d SE

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:25 pm

I have these and retroitted them- easy job and they work great!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 pm

Being next to the vent, the drink is often affected by running the AC or the heater. Not always a good idea. Some containers also rattle like they want to get out! :thumbsdown:
Go Topless

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:25 pm

outrun wrote:Mike, where did you get the cupholders? I didn't spec them and on my recent trip to Monaco my friend did nothing but moan about the lack of cupholders. CSL wheels, CDV, Eibach springs, remap, pogo alert, fancy ipod connector, Iphone cradle, and NO CUPHOLDERS!

Cheers
£25 each from the dealer that was 3 years ago though, so maybe they're more expensive now.
X-S-Z wrote:Is it a worthwhile mod? I've had similar complaints from passengers akin to outrun, but have noticed a lot of forum members complaining about them as being useless? I am not keen on the appearance of the ultimate cup holder, I like the OEM idea that its hidden when not in use.
No I always found them to be good, they are a little bit annoying if you leave it open and try and get out the car, but for the size of drinks we have in the UK they are OK. The biggest problem for the guys in the US is their cups are much bigger and I can see why they wouldn't be much use over there.

For the cash you can't go wrong :)

bras0782

Post by bras0782 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:12 am

powerontap wrote:Being next to the vent, the drink is often affected by running the AC or the heater. Not always a good idea. Some containers also rattle like they want to get out! :thumbsdown:
Best to close the vent behind the drink whilst the cup holder is in use
2004, 53 plate, 3.0 Roadster, Sterling Grey

outrun

Post by outrun » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Right, ordered cupholders from BMW main stealer for £48 inc vat. Will fit them next week, wish me luck!
2007 z4mc carbon black - gone but not forgotten. The guy I sold to still has it, maybe one day I will buy it back.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:20 pm

outrun wrote:Right, ordered cupholders from BMW main stealer for £48 inc vat. Will fit them next week, wish me luck!
Enjoy your new rattle... I mean cupholders :P

Bit flimsy they are.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

561design

Post by 561design » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:51 pm

What kind of rocks do you guys drink? I love my cup holders and put al sorta stuff in them. The only time I get concerned is when the cup is tall. The cup then becomes top heavy because the holder itself is shallow.
Charles
flickr

outrun

Post by outrun » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:24 pm

Done in 15 minutes. Easily the easiest add on i've ever done.

I also de-badged the car (M badges and Nurburgring sticker are gone, even though I actually got the Ring sticker at the circuit). I'm liking the less busy look. Also I've fitted the carbon rear spoiler which makes the end much more aggresive. Another thing that should have been standard. I'll post pics when I have daylight to take some photos.

Next job is to get a shorter number plate (which is very hard to do these days). My number is only 5 characters and i think it will look cleaner without the inches of pointless yellow and white.

Spolier is a pain to fit, if you're going to buy one (£275! for 2inch wide bit of carbon), then i'd get BMW to do it. It took ages to remove the extra bonding agent that inevitably gets everywhere.

daveysew

Post by daveysew » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:01 pm

"and they work great!"

I think you're the first person I've ever heard describe the cup holders as good. Unless I'm drinking a Redbull any other container just dumps whatever all over the inside of the car. The dealer gave me a BMW Travel Cup when I bought my car, put it in the cup holder, watched it fall over, and commented that the Z4 cup holders weren't very good.
2005 Z4 3.0 Supercharged
1988 325iX
2003 R1150R Rockster

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:19 pm

daveysew, I love(d) them too!

When people say stuff rattles around it always makes me wonder if they are closing the holder around the cup/bottle/etc or just leaving it on the biggest size?

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:14 pm

out run- pics?
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

BMW_Z4_Norway

Post by BMW_Z4_Norway » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Where can I buy some and are they hard to fit by yourself? :)