Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LHD vs RHD headlight question

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
jamiez

LHD vs RHD headlight question

Post by jamiez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:05 pm

All

I recently purchased a complete LHD passenger side Xenon headlight unit and fitted it the other day - all fine.
It failed it MOT today due to the light shining too far to the left - they said they tried to "adjust it" but it would not adjust any further.

I then remembered the "switch" which you toggle when driving aborad and how to do it is illustrated in this post http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0&start=15

However I wanted to ask here a few questions

1. Should this switch solve my problem?
2. Or will a LHD xenon headlight unit simply not work in a RDH car...?
3. Is there really some "adjustment" in xenon lights?

I will be reading the manual tonight...but wanted to ask here in the meantime.

Thanks
Jamie
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: LHD vs RHD headlight question

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

1. Should this switch solve my problem?
Not really - UK headlight s have a flick in the beam designed to illuminate the nearside hedge, pavement, etc. All the lever does is cuts off the flick on UK lights for non UK driving. Left hand drive lights will not have the lever as they never make provision for the odd time they will ever be used in a RHD country. For mot's the issue can be ignored, and advisory or a fail for UK to not have the flick, flat beam or other pattern. Seems open to the tester and in your case he opted 'fail'

Yes it will work, but subject to the above. Also note that depending upon where it came from the wiring will be different and my not work. This US indicators, UK sidelights, etc.

Yes of course, left right and up down using static setting adjusters, but they are designed to set a UK light correctly not compensate for a LHD units design settings

Bottom line is really get a UK light if you can.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:41 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:1. Should this switch solve my problem?
Not really - UK headlight s have a flick in the beam designed to illuminate the nearside hedge, pavement, etc. All the lever does is cuts off the flick on UK lights for non UK driving. Left hand drive lights will not have the lever as they never make provision for the odd time they will ever be used in a RHD country. For mot's the issue can be ignored, and advisory or a fail for UK to not have the flick, flat beam or other pattern. Seems open to the tester and in your case he opted 'fail'

Yes it will work, but subject to the above. Also note that depending upon where it came from the wiring will be different and my not work. This US indicators, UK sidelights, etc.

Yes of course, left right and up down using static setting adjusters, but they are designed to set a UK light correctly not compensate for a LHD units design settings

Bottom line is really get a UK light if you can.
Thank you very helpful

Is there anything I can do or use to get the tester to ignore this? Something in the regulations?
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:58 pm

Not really as the tester is using a beam tester. Another tester may be more tolerant, but in fairness all you're doing is to then drive around blinding every oncoming driver and at the same time not illuminating the kerb to see people, signs, etc.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:48 am

Not really - . Left hand drive lights will not have the lever as they never make provision for the odd time they will ever be used in a RHD country.

EU lights should have it, as i've seen it on the dutch forum, he used it because of his trip over to the UK. correct me if i'm wrong but that's what i've seen.
2.5i titan silber Roadster november 2003. no more stubby, M front + aero skirts + aero (pfl) diffusor.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:03 am

Lightning87 wrote:
Not really - . Left hand drive lights will not have the lever as they never make provision for the odd time they will ever be used in a RHD country.

EU lights should have it, as i've seen it on the dutch forum, he used it because of his trip over to the UK. correct me if i'm wrong but that's what i've seen.
You could be right. The LHD I've worked on and dismantled have been from the US and they certainly don't have the lever. If there is a lever all it will do is flatten in their case a right hand flick to a flat beam, not set it for proper UK use.

andrewr

Post by andrewr » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:01 pm

I have a LHD headlight on my car, this has the lever which allows me to set it as a flat beam.

Without wanting to tempt fate, it's been through two MOTs with both headlights set to flat beam and I've not had any issues.

Andrew.
Z4 3.0i: Sterling Grey, 107 Ellipsoids, Sat Nav, Folding Mirrors. PDC, De-tongo'd, Heated Electric //M Seats. H&R Springs

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Pass, Advisory or Fail is all down to the individual tester.

Here's the requirements of headlights:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

See the Section on Headlamp Aim.

Something of a minefield and I feel I could argue the flick up is or is not a fail, depending upon the read of it, but aside that plenty of scope for a tester to be arsy

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:00 pm

in holland, you have to have a LHD beam or a Flat beam. so in the UK it can happen, but it's stil a minefield.

@cj10jeeper, US lights are indeed totaly different, they also have an extra turnsingallight ( what is the proper english word ?? ) in the unit.
2.5i titan silber Roadster november 2003. no more stubby, M front + aero skirts + aero (pfl) diffusor.

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:34 pm

Thanks guys for your feedback and advice. As it turns out I had fitted the bulb slightly on the wonk which was putting the beam pattern out. Once set correctly the aim was readjusted and it flew through. I didn't ask about the lever / will try and check some day