Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Warning Lights - DSC Sensor/Alternator

"M" Specific discussion
S54 PILOT

Warning Lights - DSC Sensor Shenanigans

Post by S54 PILOT » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:20 pm

faulty battery can damage voltage regulator, so that's probably why you still have lights

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:21 am

Should be able to change the regulator/brush pack in situ. Well, I did on an M54.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:43 am

Thanks guys, keep you posted!
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:55 pm

Bought an in car volt meter and when the lights come on it spikes to 18.5v 😳

Garage wants to replace alternator but I'm thinking the regulator is a better option?
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:17 pm

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:48 pm

flimper wrote: ↑Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:55 pm Bought an in car volt meter and when the lights come on it spikes to 18.5v 😳

Garage wants to replace alternator but I'm thinking the regulator is a better option?
Aye that would cause it!
As I said, I quite easily replaced the regulator/diode/brush pack on the rear of my alternator in situ.
This was on a 3.0i M54, so I cannot guarantee that yours would be exactly the same, or even if it is accessible?
But it is definitely a cheaper option. Got it from Ebay for Β£39.90.
Of course, if the garage have to remove the alternator for access then I suppose common sense would say to fit a new one?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Calps

Post by Calps » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:39 am

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:28 pm Well the yaw sensor offer still stands, but that sounds like an electrical gremlin now?
Hi enuff_zed,

If your offer is open to a wider audience, I could be interested in the sensor please. I replaced my facelift sensor with a prefacelift sensor at the weekend, and my initial joy was quelled when I realised I was stuck with the yellow handbrake light.

(I'm planning to read the codes this weekend, however I suspect it's due to the older part, and I'll need to get a newer item in order to pass my NCT so planning for the worst but hoping for the best)
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:51 pm

Calps wrote: ↑Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:39 am
enuff_zed wrote: ↑Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:28 pm Well the yaw sensor offer still stands, but that sounds like an electrical gremlin now?
Hi enuff_zed,

If your offer is open to a wider audience, I could be interested in the sensor please. I replaced my facelift sensor with a prefacelift sensor at the weekend, and my initial joy was quelled when I realised I was stuck with the yellow handbrake light.

(I'm planning to read the codes this weekend, however I suspect it's due to the older part, and I'll need to get a newer item in order to pass my NCT so planning for the worst but hoping for the best)
Hi there, yes the facelift version is completely different as far as I'm aware. Wasn't even aware you could swap them tbh.
However, if you do a little google you'll see the later ones are ridiculous prices.
Take a look, see what you think, then pm me.
I'm pretty sure I'll do it for less but would like you to get an idea first.
Part number is 34526769174

Do you need the mounting bracket too? If not it'll be simpler to post without, and a little lighter.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:03 pm

Calps, you never got back to me about the yaw sensor. Do you need one?

Calps

Post by Calps » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:15 pm

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:03 pm Calps, you never got back to me about the yaw sensor. Do you need one?
Shame on me - I left you hanging. Just dropped you a PM to update, but in short, not needed (for now).

Happy to step back and let another user put their hand up for it.
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:23 pm

No worries. Saw your pm. :thumbsup:

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:50 am

flimper wrote: ↑Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:16 pm 8 years on and seems like I may need another DSC sensor, Warning lights on & off and fault codes suggest DSC sensor and high voltage issues :headbang:
I get these lights under heavy acceleration.

Turn the car off and back on and they go away until heavy acceleration.

I am thinking it's the ABS sensors that need cleaned as well as the reluctor rings. Possible replacement of ABS sensors and if need be reluctor rings too with a full clean out with everything off.

Would be weird for 2 sensors to fail are both your carpets completely dry? Is water getting into the cabin under the seats? It could be a water ingress issue causing the sensor to play funny and cause corrosion which makes them fail. Fix what's killing them first before replacing. I had to use a hair dryer on mine the other day. So I'm hoping that resolves it for me. Otherwise I have a leak somewhere else that needs fixing. The joys of running a 20 year old car.

I only read the first page. Glad to see you got to the bottom of it. I will need to read the codes on mine next time I am out. I have been thinking of replacing the alternator anyway may as well replace the regulator and everything else as a precaution.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:47 pm

All sorted now thanks, it was the voltage regulator, a much cheaper fix than replacing the alternator :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:34 pm

flimper wrote: ↑Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:47 pm All sorted now thanks, it was the voltage regulator, a much cheaper fix than replacing the alternator
That's great news. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black