Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Warning Lights - DSC Sensor/Alternator

"M" Specific discussion
flimper
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by flimper » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:13 pm

Thanks to Ben for help with the fault reader, these are the codes, will go back to Will and get this sorted one way or the other
Attachments
IMG_20220307_082229.jpg
IMG_20220307_082229.jpg (229.81 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:36 pm

Well a quick google of those still initially points to either the yaw sensor or a wheel sensor. But I would have thought a wheel sensor would have given a code specific to that corner?
Only other thing I can find for the system voltage too high is a faulty regulator on the alternator, but it also seems to say that this code is often tucked away and no-one notices, so possibly it's not connected.
Did you try resetting and seeing what came back?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by flimper » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:51 pm

Yes we reset, issue has happened since so will get codes read again when I catch up with Will
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by Zedebee » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:06 pm

It’s a weird one, Martin, because the lights aren’t “on”, they just flick on occasionally. Normally the trifecta stays on and it won’t go away. This suggests to me a connection issue or an early warning notice for a failing component. All dry under the seat where Flimper previously had the yaw sensor replaced. Wouldn’t the regulator throw a battery light?
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Rucky

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by Rucky » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:22 pm

By DSC sensor are you referring to the Yaw Rate sensor under the drivers seat?
The ABS / DSC pump and valves are in the engine bay just in fron toof the Master cyclinder?
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:47 pm

Zedebee wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:06 pm It’s a weird one, Martin, because the lights aren’t “on”, they just flick on occasionally. Normally the trifecta stays on and it won’t go away. This suggests to me a connection issue or an early warning notice for a failing component. All dry under the seat where Flimper previously had the yaw sensor replaced. Wouldn’t the regulator throw a battery light?
Well if they flick on and off, have you tried wiggling connectors on the sensors etc to see if it'll come back.
This is why I hate electrickery! :headbang:
I think you could be right about the battery light. What I was reading was suggesting that the code for that could have been generated way in the past but never been seen before. Obviously not in this case though.
This also seems to rule out a duff battery though doesn't it?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by Zedebee » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:11 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:47 pm
Zedebee wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:06 pm It’s a weird one, Martin, because the lights aren’t “on”, they just flick on occasionally. Normally the trifecta stays on and it won’t go away. This suggests to me a connection issue or an early warning notice for a failing component. All dry under the seat where Flimper previously had the yaw sensor replaced. Wouldn’t the regulator throw a battery light?
Well if they flick on and off, have you tried wiggling connectors on the sensors etc to see if it'll come back.
This is why I hate electrickery! :headbang:
I think you could be right about the battery light. What I was reading was suggesting that the code for that could have been generated way in the past but never been seen before. Obviously not in this case though.
This also seems to rule out a duff battery though doesn't it?
Yes, and Flimper’s battery is new, he keeps it on a ctek and doesn’t have any other issues. No issues with starting the car. Very unlikely to be the battery IMO.

I would be trying to identify when the lights are coming on and see if I could work out a pattern (e.g. in a hard turn, or going over bumps, or when DSC or ABS kicks in).
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by flimper » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:21 pm

They came on one time pulling out of a petrol station, and before that in stop start traffic, so definitely not just when I've been caning it

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by flimper » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 pm

Had the problem again this evening but this time with an additional twist. The heating lights on the centre console joined the party by going on and off in tandem with the warning lights. The green lights stayed on, but the orange ones played up. An electrical issue a definite possibility still.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:28 pm

flimper wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 pm Had the problem again this evening but this time with an additional twist. The heating lights on the centre console joined the party by going on and off in tandem with the warning lights. The green lights stayed on, but the orange ones played up. An electrical issue a definite possibility still.
Well the yaw sensor offer still stands, but that sounds like an electrical gremlin now?

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by flimper » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:30 pm

Thanks enuff, car doesn't go in for a month, so still not sure what I need or don't need. Would be interesting to try a battery swap without having to waste money on a new one and find it was a sensor after all.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

DSC Sensor Issue

Post by flimper » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Today's update: Went to Halfords to get battery checked, guy said voltage/amps all fine. Then putting it back together he noticed a leak, which turned out to be battery acid. Battery replaced FOC, drove less than 10 minutes and lights re-appeared. So it's not the battery, but could it be something related to the leak, seems too much of a coincidence to me :?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Warning Lights - DSC Sensor Shenanigans

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:56 pm

flimper wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:15 pm Today's update: Went to Halfords to get battery checked, guy said voltage/amps all fine. Then putting it back together he noticed a leak, which turned out to be battery acid. Battery replaced FOC, drove less than 10 minutes and lights re-appeared. So it's not the battery, but could it be something related to the leak, seems too much of a coincidence to me :?
Did it not do it before you had that leaky battery fitted then?

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:50 pm

The leaky battery had been in the car for around 18 months

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:10 pm

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread ... 131&page=3

Interesting thread, alternator voltage regulator looking favourite at the moment, bought a voltage meter to test in car when problem occurs (same happened for Sixspeed)