Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alternative to DAB

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Alternative to DAB

Post by Stuart Truman » Tue May 06, 2014 11:50 pm

Well, if you have an Intravee and an iPhone.

I'd been thinking about DAB as a retrofit but really dislike the windscreen antennae, more boxes and wires etc so I had a potch about with the iPhone on the basis that "there's an app for that"

Downloaded the tunein radio app, which is free, and connected to the car. Press play and hey presto! Even better than DAB, you can pick up any stream from around the world that the app can see.

Obviously if you're going to use it a lot you need an unlimited data plan and reasonable coverage. Once you've got a stream it seems to be fine on both 3G and EDGE with occasional drops into GPRS.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Maxsam

Re: Alternative to DAB

Post by Maxsam » Tue May 06, 2014 11:56 pm

I was only wondering today if this would work.... I thought it would suffer from a lot of drop out via 3G..

Will try it next time out..

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Wed May 07, 2014 6:20 am

Spotify etc also work, although the bandwidth requirements for music are higher than voice to have acceptable quality.

To clarify a point above, the stream is ok if reception drops into GPRS occasionally (I guess the buffer does its thing) but starting a stream in a GPRS area is slow and littered with dropouts
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Alternative to DAB

Post by markeg » Wed May 07, 2014 6:49 am

Have used soundcloud in the same way :) - combine it with a MiFi on a good data plan
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed May 07, 2014 7:00 am

I was wondering if sound cloud would work - cool to hear it does. Shame my data plan is limited :headbang:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Wed May 07, 2014 10:18 am

I use tunein radio through straight aux in (now via the magic of an aux in tape!) and it's brilliant. Need to update my phone plan though as on limited tariff.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0