Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Draining problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jampudding

Battery Draining problem

Post by jampudding » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Hello All,
My battery drains very quickly just trying to find out why.
After I take my car out for a 40 minute drive the battery will be flat in less than 6 hours.
I tried using the key to lock the door so as not to arm the alarm but the same problem.
I tried disconnecting the bonnet sensor but the same problem.

I had a look into the cabin this evening and noticed that the light near the "p" on the gear lever selector was flashing and also faintly both lights near the roof opening button were flashing.

I will get my battery tested at halfords tomorrow morning.
Has anybody any idea of the problem?

Thanks
Z4 3.0i Auto Black Sapphire - Dream Red Oregon - Wind Deflector/Isofix/Seat Heating/Xenon/TV/BT/Prof Carver/Elec Fold Ext Mirrors/Grad Tint WindScreen/Auto Dim Int & Ext/ Storage Comp Pack/PDC/CC/Nav Sys Prof/6 CD Changer/DDC/Chrome Line Int etc etc

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Battery Draining problem

Post by andysat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Alternator?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:59 pm

andysat wrote:Alternator?
Doubt it. But always worth checking.

Is the roof properly closed? Don't know why that would drain the battery mind you.

Is the boot lid sensor working. boot light might be on.

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 pm

I presumed as the battery was charging up after a drive that the alternator was working. The roof has not been opened since probably september. I only drive the car for 15 miles once a week so not sure if the battery has just deteriorated.
I bought the battery on Amazon fullfilled buy eurocars in May so I assume I can get a replacement - I don't have the receipt, but it's on my Amazon history, has anybody used just the Amazon history in this way?

I'll get it checked at halfords and go from there but I remember reading that bad batteries can created odd problems.
Z4 3.0i Auto Black Sapphire - Dream Red Oregon - Wind Deflector/Isofix/Seat Heating/Xenon/TV/BT/Prof Carver/Elec Fold Ext Mirrors/Grad Tint WindScreen/Auto Dim Int & Ext/ Storage Comp Pack/PDC/CC/Nav Sys Prof/6 CD Changer/DDC/Chrome Line Int etc etc

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:31 pm

Does the light inside the cubby hole go off when the lid is shut? if not maybe the lever that should press the microswitch has broken off?

dario

Post by dario » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 pm

how old is the battery?

If more than 4 years old, ditch it.

Problems solved.

If you don't believe me, after a run, stop the engine. then durn back on, but don't start the engine. turn on lights and all accessories.

If the battery warning comes on in about 5-10 mins, the batteries reserve capacity has reduced due.

Try it.

I might be wrong.

lotus791

Post by lotus791 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Turn everything off , keys out ... Boot lid open ( put a screwdriver in boot latch and close it to turn light off) put an amp meter across the battery ....any more than 1/2 amp and you have a power drain .Start pulling fuses to identify which circuit . But like said above make sure battery good .... Most have a life span of 36 months then it's all down hill !
E85 3.0

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:50 pm

I bought the battery in May last year - but I think that the lack of driving may have hastened it's demise. I have already asked for a replacement through Amazon let's see where it goes. Also it was a Bosch S4 which I now realise have a high failure rate.

What batteries are people using these days?

lotus791

Post by lotus791 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:57 pm

I fit global batteries ... Middle of the road....096 sells for £65
E85 3.0

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:02 pm

lotus791 wrote:I fit global batteries ... Middle of the road....096 sells for £65
Anyone priced a battery up from the stealers recently?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

lotus791

Post by lotus791 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:05 pm

andysat wrote:
lotus791 wrote:I fit global batteries ... Middle of the road....096 sells for £65
Anyone priced a battery up from the stealers recently?

Triple ?? :roll:
E85 3.0

Clearancediver

Post by Clearancediver » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:50 am

Have you considered that your alternator regulator no longer works. Battery running down while driving is a classic symptom......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:20 am

The battery is not running down while driving but after it's been driven. It's either the battery is bad or something is draining it?

dario

Post by dario » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:27 am

do you have a volt meter you can attach?

how long does it take to drain to the point where it causes a problem?

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:41 am

What I will do today is take it for a drive then disconnect the battery and check the voltage and then check the voltage 5 hours later to see if the battery has lost its' charge. That should rule out a battery fault.