Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Draining problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jampudding

Re: Battery Draining problem

Post by jampudding » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:54 pm

As an update to this. I put the new battery in around the 12th of April and found it worked as it should. This worked for about a month. I do only about 5 miles a week and if I remember I do another 30 minute drive to keep the battery happy this is all in one day. After the month I was back in the same situation.
I bought one of those solar chargers but haven't used it yet - I will install tomorrow.
Allternator was charging at 13.97v - at idle.
I will see what the drain is like tomorrow after a charge with everything off.
Failing all of that I will be sending this battery back and gettting an S5.
Z4 3.0i Auto Black Sapphire - Dream Red Oregon - Wind Deflector/Isofix/Seat Heating/Xenon/TV/BT/Prof Carver/Elec Fold Ext Mirrors/Grad Tint WindScreen/Auto Dim Int & Ext/ Storage Comp Pack/PDC/CC/Nav Sys Prof/6 CD Changer/DDC/Chrome Line Int etc etc

sniffer

Post by sniffer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Have you checked the alternator voltage as others have stated with a meter?

If the alternator is OK and you have a new battery, something is draining the battery.

Have you checked the basics like the interior and boot lights are not on?

Get a decent meter and put it in series with the battery - disconnect the negative lead and put the meter between the negative lead and the battery. The meter will show you the amps the car is drawing. After everything has settled down, it should be less than 0.1AMP.

If it is much higher than this, pull some fuses out until you find by a process of elimination what fuse and therefore what circuit is causing the issue and then investigate.

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:30 am

I did check the alternator the voltage was 13.97v.
Have to say I didn't check the boot light which I will tomorrow - interior lights are off.
I will check the amperage tomorrow morning in series with the battery.
Z4 3.0i Auto Black Sapphire - Dream Red Oregon - Wind Deflector/Isofix/Seat Heating/Xenon/TV/BT/Prof Carver/Elec Fold Ext Mirrors/Grad Tint WindScreen/Auto Dim Int & Ext/ Storage Comp Pack/PDC/CC/Nav Sys Prof/6 CD Changer/DDC/Chrome Line Int etc etc

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:38 am

TonyP wrote:Does the light inside the cubby hole go off when the lid is shut? if not maybe the lever that should press the microswitch has broken off?
Did you ever check this?

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:37 am

TonyP wrote:
TonyP wrote:Does the light inside the cubby hole go off when the lid is shut? if not maybe the lever that should press the microswitch has broken off?
Did you ever check this?
I shall check this too as I remember fiddling around with the fuses when I had a problem with the fan. Hopefully it will stop raining soon.

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:48 pm

I had a flat this morning not surprisingly.
- 40 Minute drive
- Car running voltage 13.92v
- Engine turned off voltage of battery 12.80v
Can I assume from this that the alternator is OK?

- Boot light switches off when the boot is closed.
- Centre cubby light switches off when closed.

- I did the test with the multimeter in series with the battery but it gave a very high figure. I realised afterwards that I had left the car door open when doing this and thus the reading was insanely high.
How do I perform this test - do I leave the boot open but lock the car (as in from the fob)? While the multimeter is in series with the battery? The wait for the car to settle down?

Does anybody know if the firmware of the satnav can have an effect on the battery, when the car is off?

Thanks

Wrighty

Battery Draining problem

Post by Wrighty » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:34 pm

Evening all, continuing on the back of this thread rather than starting new as I have similar issues.

No recent history of battery/power/starting issues etc.

Came to the car (2004 3L) yesterday after being parked for around 2 hours. No cranking at all, large clicking from starter motor (replaced 2 years ago) Battery voltage measured 11.3v
Battery disconnected, charged for a hour, refitted and car started first time as usual, 14.4v when running, 12.5v when off.
Left overnight with the battery connected to the car, 12.1v this morning, started perfectly fine. 14.1v when running, voltage dropped momentarily when lights, radio, heaters etc were turned on, came back up to 14.1v almost straightaway (I’m taking this as the alternator being okay/providing charge)

Everything is pointing towards needing a new battery, it is at least 4 years old, just wanting a few other options before committing.

What could cause the battery voltage to have dropped to 11.3v volts so soon after being driven? I have no obvious drains, boot light and central storage compartment lights both switch off

Thanks

Wrighty

Battery Draining problem

Post by Wrighty » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:14 am

Started and drove for 20 minutes okay this morning. 12.1v before starting, 12.6 once stopped/parked

Jamesbradbury

Battery Draining problem

Post by Jamesbradbury » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:00 pm

To be honest with a battery that old I'd always start with changing that first. I did when I had electrical issues and it didn't help much but at least I've got a new battery and know that isn't the issue for the next few years. Good luck