Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How annoying? (some of the dealer slagging unwarranted )

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Talksthetorque

How annoying? (some of the dealer slagging unwarranted )

Post by Talksthetorque » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Always leave the locking wheel nut in the ashtray, so when I came to get the winter tyres off I opened the ashtray and......
Nothing. Rooted around for half an hour in the car, garage driveway.
Last time it could have been used? Inspection 1 at a main stealers. So I rang them up and 'we don't remove the wheels on an inspection 1'.
Hmmmmmm......
So get put through to the parts department and to replace the locking nut that I'm sure they lost....EIGHT QUID!
Now I do leave stuff around so it's probably me who's lost it, but I'm surprised they don't take the wheels off for an inspection. Id be interested to see how they measure the disk thickness through the gaps in the alloys.

I'm calling bullshit/don't bother doing it.

Bit of a result on the price of the nut though 8)
Last edited by Talksthetorque on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How annoying? (Warning, gratuitous dealer slagging conte

Post by mmm-five » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Among other things, the items below are listed on the Inspection 1 checklist...
BMW Inspection 1 wrote:
  • Remove and install front and rear disc brake pads, check overall thickness. Record results.
  • Clean brake pad contact points in calipers.
  • Grease wheel centering hubs.
Don't know how they do any of those points without removing the wheel. Really makes you wonder how incompetent BMW dealers are :headbang:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:34 pm

mmm-five wrote:Among other things, the items below are listed on the Inspection 1 checklist...
BMW Inspection 1 wrote:
  • Remove and install front and rear disc brake pads, check overall thickness. Record results.
Don't know how they do any of those points without removing the wheel. Really makes you wonder how incompetent BMW dealers are :headbang:
Not sure i'd ever trust BMW with any work on my cars.
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

Wa'ya

Post by Wa'ya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:37 pm

mmm-five wrote:Among other things, the items below are listed on the Inspection 1 checklist...
BMW Inspection 1 wrote:
Errrrr incompetent enough to rake in an extra 8 quid, I'm thinking.

Yep got a :whip:

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:39 pm

I have had a similar issue, amongst a few others as you've read.

Re: the nut. I asked the dealer who repaired my car where it was. They said they hadn't touched the wheels even though I asked them to. And they said even if they had, they'd have used their own and don't usually touch the customers. However ... I must admit, I don't believe a thing they say!! They'd certainly reclipped all the carpet back over my battery and tool kit where the locking wheel nut would have been, so I think they lost mine too. Grrr

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:43 pm

BMW Inspection 1 wrote:
Interesting - suggestion would be fir talksthetorque to visit the dealer & ask them to repeat this claim, & if restated to show them what they're supposed to have done & ask for a refund on their service, as they haven't done what they're supposed to
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Jembo wrote:
BMW Inspection 1 wrote:
Interesting - suggestion would be fir talksthetorque to visit the dealer & ask them to repeat this claim, & if restated to show them what they're supposed to have done & ask for a refund on their service, as they haven't done what they're supposed to
x2
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

Wa'ya

Post by Wa'ya » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:06 am

LOL I like that! :thumbsup:

Yep got a :whip:

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:03 am

My dad used to repair cars from his little garage at the bottom of our garden and was well respected for his professionalism and skill.
One day I nipped down with a cuppa for him and I noticed he was servicing a couple of brand new motors. "Blimey dad, your clients have gone up in the world!"

"Nah son, the dealers send me their motors for scheduled servicing when they're busy so the client gets his service stamps, client pays dealers hourly rate, I get
My hourly rate, client gets stamp, everyone's happy!"

I would never trust a dealer, I bet it's the YTS or equivalent who does the routine stuff..not a problem if they're supervised.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

Talksthetorque

Post by Talksthetorque » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:23 am

Just checked in the service booklet and they only take the wheels off to clean the calipers if they're replacing the pads, and you can see the thickness of the pads through the wheels.so it's probably me that's lost the thing. I can't see them going over and above the schedule.
Ah well, more careful next time. :roll:
I still won't be buying the clutch that they 'recommended' as the clutch is 'a bit stiff' or the £1500 back box because 'a bit of the bracket has broken'

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:24 am

I trust my dealer :)
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:37 am

I need to check and see if I have a locking wheel nut

Talksthetorque

Post by Talksthetorque » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Taz wrote:I need to check and see if I have a locking wheel nut
The good news if you havent is that ( if you still have the original locking nuts) they can order one for £8 from your chassis number.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How annoying? (some of the dealer slagging unwarranted )

Post by Taz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:24 pm

i have mine but for that £8 i may order a spare

Talksthetorque

Re: How annoying? (some of the dealer slagging unwarranted )

Post by Talksthetorque » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:26 pm

I wondered whether or not to splash out and order 2 :rofl: