Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel alignment settings

"M" Specific discussion
Viren

Wheel alignment settings

Post by Viren » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi all, new to the forum so go easy! The zmc is due a wheel alignment however wanted to get your thoughts on whether to stick with oem or reduce rear toe and increase front and rear camber (seems to be a good way to make the car more progressive and neutral). Car is a daily driver with a couple of track days a year so would be interested in tyre wear as well. Btw awesome forum! Cheers, Viren
07 Z4MC standard spec

exdos

Re: Wheel alignment settings

Post by exdos » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:11 pm

After experimentation my preferred settings are zero toe all round and reduced rear camber.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:14 am

exdos wrote:After experimentation my preferred settings are zero toe all round and reduced rear camber.
And increased front camber, or did you stick with OEM front camber settings John?
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

exdos

Post by exdos » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:44 am

BMWZ4MC wrote:
exdos wrote:After experimentation my preferred settings are zero toe all round and reduced rear camber.
And increased front camber, or did you stick with OEM front camber settings John?
I tried increasing front camber by removing the pins after I'd done all my other suspension mods, but I found that, like with the Z3MC, it makes the handling far too twitchy on public roads and therefore tiring to drive, so I reverted to OEM front camber. If I had camber/caster plates, I would increase the caster a tad, which would increase the dynamic camber but also retain/increase straight-line stability.

Viren

Post by Viren » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Cheers guys, curious to understand how the driving dynamics change by reducing rear toe and camber? Also were bmw being conservative with they rear set up (eg induce understeer however making the car less progressive)
07 Z4MC standard spec

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 pm

I know this is the M specific area but dose any of this apply to non M zeds? I am looking at getting all my alignment set up shortly. I have a few suspension components still to replace but do i just go factory?
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

exdos

Post by exdos » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Viren wrote:Cheers guys, curious to understand how the driving dynamics change by reducing rear toe and camber? Also were bmw being conservative with they rear set up (eg induce understeer however making the car less progressive)
The Z4M's OEM geometry does a good job of preventing the car from directing itself into the scenery (unlike it's predecessor- the Z3MC). The front geometry with a fair amount of toe-in creates understeer and the rear geometry, with a fair degree of -ve camber and toe-in reduces the tendency to oversteer and fish-tailing with excessive throttle input. All in all, the car has a tendency to understeer. Reducing rear camber and zero toe all round produces a more neutrally handling car. If your car has lowering springs, the the camber and toe will change.
Machine monkey wrote:I know this is the M specific area but dose any of this apply to non M zeds? I am looking at getting all my alignment set up shortly. I have a few suspension components still to replace but do i just go factory?
I don't know the OEM geometry of the non-Ms but changing the settings to what I have should also make a neutral handling car. Obviously, if anyone decides to change the geometry from OEM, they do so at their own risk.

Viren

Post by Viren » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:30 pm

exdos wrote:The Z4M's OEM geometry does a good job of preventing the car from directing itself into the scenery (unlike it's predecessor- the Z3MC). The front geometry with a fair amount of toe-in creates understeer and the rear geometry, with a fair degree of -ve camber and toe-in reduces the tendency to oversteer and fish-tailing with excessive throttle input. All in all, the car has a tendency to understeer. Reducing rear camber and zero toe all round produces a more neutrally handling car. If your car has lowering springs, the the camber and toe will change.
Thanks, really useful info. What camber and toe numbers are you currently running (guess toe is close to 0 given your previous comment), cheers
07 Z4MC standard spec

exdos

Post by exdos » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:01 pm

Viren wrote:
Thanks, really useful info. What camber and toe numbers are you currently running (guess toe is close to 0 given your previous comment), cheers
I run OEM front camber and approx -1.2 rear camber. Zero toe all round. I use this both for road and at The Ring. I must qualify to say that I also have AC Schnitzer Racing (adjustable suspension) H&R CSL ARBs, RTAB Limiter kit and 10mm wheel spacers all round, but I still think my geometry will apply with OEM suspension.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:16 pm

exdos wrote:
BMWZ4MC wrote:
I tried increasing front camber by removing the pins after I'd done all my other suspension mods, but I found that, like with the Z3MC, it makes the handling far too twitchy on public roads and therefore tiring to drive, so I reverted to OEM front camber. If I had camber/caster plates, I would increase the caster a tad, which would increase the dynamic camber but also retain/increase straight-line stability.
I'm looking forward to experimenting with mine once I've fitted everything. I'll likely be running as much negative camber as possible on the track but I do agree it makes for a very twitchy ride on poorly maintained roads. Fortunately, I have camber/caster plates :wink:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:28 am

Hi exodus,

Getting my h&r lowering springs with my new blistein hd's installed tomorrow, what settings would you recommend for this setup? I realize the new springs will need to bed in for about 500kms. Any insights to the setting if I use a 10mill spacer for the fronts and 3mill for the rear?
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3