Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

108 DIY inner wheel refurb

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Ooch

Post by Ooch » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:37 pm

The outer rims are not too bad. I am going to attempt to rub down all the inner corrosion and respray just the inner. Going to take some time but I have a set of winter wheels on at the moment.
I have started the rub down using a flapper wheel on a battery drill.
I was thinking of undercoat then smooth silver hammerite spray perhaps. I am sure it will look ok.

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:40 pm

You should split them first, as whwn you do paint and seal then you'll want to get under the stars too.

I also used a prepping tool on a drill when i refurbed my winter set of 108's

Also i would go with primer, base and lacquer instead of hammerite.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Ooch

Re: 108 DIY inner wheel refurb

Post by Ooch » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:53 pm

i will use primer and lacquer . I thought smooth hammerite would be a hard wearing paint for the inner wheel.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:03 pm

I wouldn't mess around with flap wheels. Just use Nitromors to strip off the old lacquer and lightly sand any corrosion and as aquazi says split the rims else you'll just have corrosion develop from the joint in months.

Refurbished a few sets myself, but use a professional nowdays as results last just sooooo much longer and way ahead of DIY refurbs.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Ooch

Post by Ooch » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:16 pm

I may well wait till spring and get them done properly. I will have a go at one wheel and see what the results are.

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:13 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:I wouldn't mess around with flap wheels. Just use Nitromors to strip off the old lacquer and lightly sand any corrosion and as aquazi says split the rims else you'll just have corrosion develop from the joint in months.

Refurbished a few sets myself, but use a professional nowdays as results last just sooooo much longer and way ahead of DIY refurbs.

I agree don't waste you money as it will only last a year or two. Ive done mine twice now and they look crap again. Once the worst of the winters over I'm getting them done at lepsons unless i can find a set of 224s.
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

Ooch

Post by Ooch » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 pm

I may now be splitting the rims using paint stripper then polishing the wheel inner. I don't see a need for paint or lacquer. These will only be used in the summer months. I have some collinate wax which should help.

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 pm

I tried nitromors to strip mine it wasted about £20 trying.

The newer style 108's are plastic coated and not lacquer.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:29 pm

aquazi wrote:I tried nitromors to strip mine it wasted about £20 trying.

Totally agree on the later one's. Looking at op's photo they look like the originals, so would work.

Need woolybear to comment on how to remove plastic coating form the later gen rims
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

eyup

Post by eyup » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:57 pm

Thread hijack I apologise!

If planning to re-paint all of the wheel, including outer rim (i know I know) and inners, what grit should I go down to when cleaning the wheels up before priming if back down to bare metal?

i will post the results when done!

Cheers
Coupe - Montego Blue. 108's, simplest mod - second medical box :-)

The journey so far;
i) 1998 Ford Focus 1.8 Litre
ii) The Z
iii) what else is needed?

woolybear

Post by woolybear » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:32 am

cj10jeeper wrote:

Totally agree on the later one's. Looking at op's photo they look like the originals, so would work.

Need woolybear to comment on how to remove plastic coating form the later gen rims

Hi..
It's HF acid, which is commonly used, to soften and break down the plastic coating.. Then helped, but a decent shot blasting machine.. A bit of a pain to do compared to the average wheel, but perseverance is the key..

Looking at OPs photo, they look, as Phil says - to be the earlier and merely clear lacquered variants..
From experience, the lacquer is by far the weakest link and comes off with ease, when using HF and then shot blasting..
I would then have the outer barrels, fully Powder Coated - thus, ensuring the longevity of the finished product.. Using, a Chrome Effect Powder Coat, on the outer barrel - achieves a similar finish to the OE diamond cutting and clear lacquering, but has a far greater lifespan..

Additionally, - if you do decide to do a self-refurb: May I suggest, when initially breaking down the split rims, take care in not breaking heads off the BBS bolts or rounding off the inside of the bolt heads, due to stubborn bolts, that may well be corroded in..
I would look at letting a professional wheel refurbishment company, carry out the full refurbishments for you - is my final bit of advice.. Simply, as a lot of people have tried DIY refurb's on here and have had mixed results..

Best of luck, with the refurb's and don't forget the before and after pics.. :thumbsup:

Ooch

Post by Ooch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:06 am

I have split the first wheel no problems yet. Is there a specific loctite to use when reassembling ?

Ooch

Post by Ooch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Operation Nitromors... costly stuff may have to get the 5L tub.

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:06 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:

Random and slightly off topic...

What visual difference is there between the old style and new style wheels?

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:18 pm

Been through this process myself on my m3 wheels lots of time and patients needed... I nitromorsed then sanded cant remember what grades but i started quite rough and didn't go that fine. I then machine polished the faces.
ImageImage You will need lots of time and patients!!
masked up for paint
After

I am not sure about on wheels but hear at work we always use loctight 614
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!