Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Aftermarket Headunit w/ Hifi non DSP Success ! (w/ pics)

Y2K_o__o

Post by Y2K_o__o » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:17 am

Please don't be upset if I post into the wrong forum as I am really happy to share it with all of you! Feels like my Z reborn :driving: :driving:
First, I would like to thank v8z4 who share all his headunit installation issues / problems with me through PM :)

PS Edited - Moved to How to - Audio Systems.... Alan J :thumbsup:

I own a 2003 Z4 2.5i with 10 speaker premium (non DSP) setup. The stock BMW headunit was toasted since I got the car, so I decided to replace just the HU without tossing alot of money into upgrading the amp and speaker (The stock setup is decent enough for me)

Here's the entire setup that I purchased on ebay

Scosche BW2335B Full installation kit (the seller include the antenna, mounting kit, and harness)
Kentwood KDC-255U w/ USB AUX
The entire setup cost me less than $82 USD

Step 1:
follow the instruction on the scosche kit to wire up all wires (FR, FL, RR, RL +/-, switch, ground and etc...) for the harness

Step 2:
You will notice the scosche harness have 5 mute brown wires which totally screw you up :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: . At this instance, take a deep breath and look at the wiring diagram below

BMW E85/E86 Business Radio Pin Outs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 A Signal, AF radio, rear right + Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Blu/Viol Basic (Blu/Blk Hi-Fi)[not used Carver]
2 A Signal, AF radio, front right + Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Blu/Red
3 A Signal, terminal 50 via vehicle immoblizer Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Yell/Red
4 A Signal, AF radio, rear left + Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Yell/Viol Basic (Yell/Blk Hi-Fi)[not used Carver]
5 A Signal, AF radio, rear right - Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Blu/Grn Basic (Brn/Org Hi-Fi)[not used Carver]
6 A Signal, AF radio, front right - Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Blu/Brn Basic (Brn/Org Hi-Fi Carver)
7 A Signal, AF radio, front left - Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Yell/Brn Basic (Brn/Org Hi-Fi Carver)
8 A Signal, AF radio, rear left - Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Yell/Grn Basic (Brn/Org Hi-Fi)[not used Carver]
9 E/A K-bus signal K-bus connector 0.5 Wht/Red/Yell
10 E Telephone mute circuit Cellular telephone 0.35 Wht/Brn
11 E Signal Telephone on Cellular telephone 0.35 Wht/Grn
12 M Ground Ground point 2.5 Brn
13 E Aerial switching signal Aerial amplifier or aerial diversity 0.5 Wht
14 E Activation, left bi-xenon headlight Light switch cluster 0.5 Grn/Red
15 E Terminal 30 Fuse F50 Unsitched power 2.5 Red/Yell
16 E Terminal R Fuse F47 Switched power 0.75 Viol/Wht

***** For the ground wire, splice the two ground wire into a single crimp (See below pic) and bolt it to chassis ****

Step 3:
Here comes the most important step: wire the REM (amp remote lead, or "P.cont" for my Kentwood, every deck will have different name) to pin #13

Back side of the factory harness ( pin # 13 which is the white wire (Thanks to v8z4 for pointing this out !), PLEASE DO A FINAL CHECK BEFORE YOU TURN THE SWITCH

STEP 4:
end cap all other loose wire and zip tie to make it nice and clean
install the kit and adjust the headunit position to flush with the dash
This might not look nice to all of you as some of you might notice the scosche kit has slightly fitment issue and color that I ordered wasn't perfectly match, but $82 for a headunit + installation kit using the stock amp and sub, I have no complains at all.
Well, I have tried my best to share all the pain that I've gone through with lots of forum searching. I hope my contribution really help all of you having speaker with no sound for aftermarket HU

BeemerMad

Re: E85 Aftermarket Headunit w/ Hifi non DSP Success ! (w/ p

Post by BeemerMad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Nice stereo not so keen on the surround though!

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:58 pm

good job, but agree with BeemerMad, about the surround

v8z4

Post by v8z4 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:37 am

Glad it worked out.

Here is the faceplate I have:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects ... paBtOJ37Sg

Unfortunately it is only available from England (so you end up paying $15 for shipping) but I feel it is well worth the cost. I advise ordering two since it does not cost any more to ship than one.

Chris

Toe-side

Post by Toe-side » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:44 am

Good write up. :thumbsup: Wonder why they used those brown wires and not colour coded :?
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

daleman55

Post by daleman55 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:46 am

Y2K_o__o wrote:Please don't be upset if I post into the wrong forum as I am really happy to share it with all of you! Feels like my Z reborn :driving: :driving:
First, I would like to thank v8z4 who share all his headunit installation issues / problems with me through PM :)

PS Edited - Moved to How to - Audio Systems.... Alan J :thumbsup:

I own a 2003 Z4 2.5i with 10 speaker premium (non DSP) setup. The stock BMW headunit was toasted since I got the car, so I decided to replace just the HU without tossing alot of money into upgrading the amp and speaker (The stock setup is decent enough for me)

Here's the entire setup that I purchased on ebay

Scosche BW2335B Full installation kit (the seller include the antenna, mounting kit, and harness)
Kentwood KDC-255U w/ USB AUX
The entire setup cost me less than $82 USD

Step 1:
follow the instruction on the scosche kit to wire up all wires (FR, FL, RR, RL +/-, switch, ground and etc...) for the harness

Step 2:
You will notice the scosche harness have 5 mute brown wires which totally screw you up :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: . At this instance, take a deep breath and look at the wiring diagram below

BMW E85/E86 Business Radio Pin Outs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 A Signal, AF radio, rear right + Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Blu/Viol Basic (Blu/Blk Hi-Fi)[not used Carver]
2 A Signal, AF radio, front right + Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Blu/Red
3 A Signal, terminal 50 via vehicle immoblizer Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Yell/Red
4 A Signal, AF radio, rear left + Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Yell/Viol Basic (Yell/Blk Hi-Fi)[not used Carver]
5 A Signal, AF radio, rear right - Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Blu/Grn Basic (Brn/Org Hi-Fi)[not used Carver]
6 A Signal, AF radio, front right - Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Blu/Brn Basic (Brn/Org Hi-Fi Carver)
7 A Signal, AF radio, front left - Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Yell/Brn Basic (Brn/Org Hi-Fi Carver)
8 A Signal, AF radio, rear left - Amplifier or Speaker 0.75 Yell/Grn Basic (Brn/Org Hi-Fi)[not used Carver]
9 E/A K-bus signal K-bus connector 0.5 Wht/Red/Yell
10 E Telephone mute circuit Cellular telephone 0.35 Wht/Brn
11 E Signal Telephone on Cellular telephone 0.35 Wht/Grn
12 M Ground Ground point 2.5 Brn
13 E Aerial switching signal Aerial amplifier or aerial diversity 0.5 Wht
14 E Activation, left bi-xenon headlight Light switch cluster 0.5 Grn/Red
15 E Terminal 30 Fuse F50 Unsitched power 2.5 Red/Yell
16 E Terminal R Fuse F47 Switched power 0.75 Viol/Wht

***** For the ground wire, splice the two ground wire into a single crimp (See below pic) and bolt it to chassis ****

Step 3:
Here comes the most important step: wire the REM (amp remote lead, or "P.cont" for my Kentwood, every deck will have different name) to pin #13

Back side of the factory harness ( pin # 13 which is the white wire (Thanks to v8z4 for pointing this out !), PLEASE DO A FINAL CHECK BEFORE YOU TURN THE SWITCH

STEP 4:
end cap all other loose wire and zip tie to make it nice and clean
install the kit and adjust the headunit position to flush with the dash
This might not look nice to all of you as some of you might notice the scosche kit has slightly fitment issue and color that I ordered wasn't perfectly match, but $82 for a headunit + installation kit using the stock amp and sub, I have no complains at all.
Well, I have tried my best to share all the pain that I've gone through with lots of forum searching. I hope my contribution really help all of you having speaker with no sound for aftermarket HU

the_funkhouse

Post by the_funkhouse » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:01 pm

I’ve got a harness, but there’s no connection on pin9. I think this is why the head unit is powering up, but no sound is coming out.
Any ideas what I need to connect there?
It’s a white/red/yellow cable

GGuy

Post by GGuy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:39 pm

I picked up an ‘03 Z4 3.0i a couple of years back. It was/is pretty much stock and at the time that was fine. I wanted to upgrade the radio to a new unit with Bluetooth and such. A reliable car radio installer tried with no success to get it working.
It does have the 6 disc changer and they said it is the reason that they couldn’t get it to work sound wise.
Anyone else ever come across this issue?