Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HID and led bulb issues

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Csthompson

HID and led bulb issues

Post by Csthompson » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi all. I've installed my hid and led bulbs today. All working well until I noticed the bulb error light inside the car. I haven't bought the cancellers but am doing to solve this.

One issue I do have is when I either unlock the car the led bulbs both come slightly on, as if there is current running to them. Also I get the left indicator come on permanently when sidelights only are turned on...... Headlights on turn the indicator off again.

All bulbs are working fine.....

Can anyone offer some words of wisdom?

nfarmer

Re: HID and led bulb issues

Post by nfarmer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Revert back to OEM, thats what I had to do for HID dip beams, but LED side lights, interior lights, number plate lights, reversing lights, and rear fog fine.

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:15 pm

nfarmer wrote:Revert back to OEM, thats what I had to do for HID dip beams, but LED side lights, interior lights, number plate lights, reversing lights, and rear fog fine.
So what's the problem with the hid dipped beams then. I've got a set to fit so be interested to know of any probs I may incur
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:31 pm

I fitted a set to my e85 and they were fine. I had a canbus compatible set though.

Csthompson

Post by Csthompson » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:41 pm

So..... If I get cancellers for both hids and led sidelights do we think this should resolve?

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Csthompson wrote:So..... If I get cancellers for both hids and led sidelights do we think this should resolve?
Yes

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Csthompson wrote:One issue I do have is when I either unlock the car the led bulbs both come slightly on, as if there is current running to them.
You need 'error free' led lamps. It's the canbus warning system powering the lamps. I've bought led lamps before which are supposedly canbus but I had the same problem as you.

I think these are the ones I now have...

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/501-can-bus-sup ... bulbs.html

I haven't used any cancellers, just a canbus HID kit from the start, this one....

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-35w-ultimate ... n-kit.html
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:57 pm

Csthompson wrote:So..... If I get cancellers for both hids and led sidelights do we think this should resolve?
If you get canbus aware led's or HID there should be no problem!

I didnt fit cancelers and had no bulb out messages

eBay auctions:
Red Rear Fogs Item Number 300811936141
Reversing Light Item Number 350753195227
Both of the above superb
Side lights, interior lights, number plate lights similar to Item Number 120716672851
Again Superb

HIDs for Dipped Beams
Now this was strange I purchased and fitted eBay Item 370637703922
see http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 61#p834361

Seemed fine to start no errors, very good light output but I did have some odd issues with my electrics, http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 95#p839895 and there were other issues, boot unlocking and the radio changing mode from AUX to radio.

Then I noticed that there seemed to be a connection between the dipped beams coming on and the odd results. Now I have auto lights so on a dull day the lights can be going on and off at intervals. Xenon lights dont like going on and off and I think there might be a current spike causing the electronics to throw a hissey fit!

Disconnected the HIDs and reverted back to halogens and the problems went away, I suspect if I didnt use the auto lights all might well be OK. Now waiting on a dry day (and the delivery of some higher output halogens) to remove the ballasts from inside the headlight units to return them for testing just in case there is an fault with one or both ballasts.

Hope this helps

Norman

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:06 am

I always use auto-lights with my HID's and never had an issue since they have been fitted. Maybe your ballasts are playing up like you say.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Csthompson

Post by Csthompson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:35 am

Cheers. I've ordered the cancellers now, so I'll see how a go!?

Csthompson

Post by Csthompson » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:24 pm

All running great now! Cancellers on both hids and sidelights....... No errors