Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help With My Sound Generator Mod

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
wohast

Help With My Sound Generator Mod

Post by wohast » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Car: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I was able to pull the tube out at the location marked A in the picture. The amount of foam that I pulled out from this side is shown in the middle next to the bmw badge. I was expecting a little bit more noise from removing this piece of foam, so now I would like to try removing the foam from the engine side.

Is the location marked B, the correct location of what I need to pull out? Ive tried pulling/twisting/etc the tube at the location marked B, but I cant get it out. The tutorial found in the DIY thread has pictures but the engine side of the soundgen looks different than mine.

This is from the DIY thread:
There is a jubilee clip shown there, and mine does not have that. Also the tube above looks different than my tube.

Any help would be appreciated so I can figure out how to remove this 2nd piece of foam. Thanks
TEXAS

PlumbNB1

Re: Help With My Sound Generator Mod

Post by PlumbNB1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:26 pm

You sure you want more noise? Have you taken it up the full rev range? :o Lots of info just search "sound generator"
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... or#p795459
'53 Sterling Grey 3.0i SE Manual Roadster

ryanwhite19

Post by ryanwhite19 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:17 am

After 5k rpm its get silly loud. Take it on a good blast first as taking both bits of foam out makes it much harder to live with

wohast

Post by wohast » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:07 am

so far I've driven it with the (A) side piece of foam out for a few days, and definitely want to try it with both out, and then with (B) out, but (A) in. i've seen some people say that the (B) side foam is more dense, so taking that out but leaving the (A) in is just the right amount of noise. right now the (A) out/(B) in, isnt cutting it for me.

my main problem is that I dont know how to get to the (B) foam from my pictures. my tube looks different than the others that ive found from searching. am hoping someone can confirm that the (B) in my pictures is what i need to pull out, or if its somewhere else i need to be looking.
TEXAS

ryanwhite19

Post by ryanwhite19 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:07 am

Foam is definately in positions a and b. I did find pulling it away from b position was quite difficult, need a bit of confidence and would check there are no clips underneath the tube holding it in place

sd_dracula

Post by sd_dracula » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:36 am

Part B just pulls out after you release the jubilee clip, you can try twisting while pulling out.

danmiddle2

Post by danmiddle2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 am

Mine didn't have a jubilee clip on it either... but was relatively easy to remove from both sides.

Noise-wise I am happy with both out. It's not my daily driver, so I can live with the noise and it's only really when you plant your foot.

wohast

Post by wohast » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks guys. Gonna go try and pull (B) out with some cojones haha.
TEXAS

wohast

Post by wohast » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Successfully got both pieces of foam out. Was expecting the engine side to be bigger and didnt expect much of a difference in sound...but damn I actually love it now with both out. :D
Top piece is from (A), bottom small piece is from (B)
TEXAS

PlumbNB1

Post by PlumbNB1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Enjoy! :driving:
'53 Sterling Grey 3.0i SE Manual Roadster

B.LimaZ4

Post by B.LimaZ4 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Does pulling the foam out of a 2.2L 53 plate Z4 make a great deal of difference to the sound?

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:43 pm

B.LimaZ4 wrote:Does pulling the foam out of a 2.2L 53 plate Z4 make a great deal of difference to the sound?
Have you retro fitted a Sound Generator?

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:46 pm

The problem for me when I took both foam bits out is that there is so much induction noise that it sounds false. The moment you lift off it all goes quiet. At least with some of the foam in, it still adds noise but doesn't sound so fake.

Edit: When I had my e85.

B.LimaZ4

Post by B.LimaZ4 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:51 pm

DPG wrote:
B.LimaZ4 wrote:Does pulling the foam out of a 2.2L 53 plate Z4 make a great deal of difference to the sound?
Have you retro fitted a Sound Generator?

No, I haven't added or removed anything from the Z4 myself. As far as I am aware, the whole car is as it was when driven away from the showroom.
I've never intended on modifying the car aesthetically or under the bonnet, but reading some of the posts on this forum (which I only joined today) has started planting little seeds in my head! :lol:

Any advice is welcomed :D

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:52 pm

B.LimaZ4 wrote:... but reading some of the posts on this forum (which I only joined today) has started planting little seeds in my head!
Wait until you've been here a while. This place has cost me a fortune!