Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Z4 Forum AMW

Battery Problems

Post by Z4 Forum AMW » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:22 pm

Hi all -

I have quite a problem with my 2003 2.5

I went away for a couple of weeks a few weeks ago (if that makes sense) and when I came back my Zed was completely dead - I charged it up and then it was fine for around 2 weeks (although the last two times I started it - it sounded a bit strained!) but then today it wouldn't start again.

After i jumped it and drove 20 mins it was fine and started 4-5 times in a row and put my charger on for around 30 mins and it said it was fully charged!! Therefore I think the battery and alternator are working!

In addition, I keep getting the battery warning light coming on - especially when I put something in the boot - according to the manual this is to do with the V-belt (sounds expensive!) but I can't believe that due to the fact that everytime I visit Tesco's it affects it!

Anybody got any suggestions advice/solutions

Help please - I'm beginning to wish i'd kept my A3!!!!!
2003 Z4 2.5 - Grey with Red Leather

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:16 am

Sounds like you need a new battery. Several people on this forum & others have had this issue with their Zeds. It seems like the battery gets drained pretty quickly if you don't drive it for a couple of weeks.

I think you need a new battery and battery tender.
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:46 am

Deep cycling will give you a dead battery and that is what this sounds like. Pony up and get one soon. :|

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:35 pm

I had a problem with my original battery (Jan 04), took it to a mechanic who checked it and said it was done; took it to a battery outlet where they said it was OK!
A week later, didn't use the car for a day & left it in our garage; tried to start it the next day and click click click click...
Took it back to mechanic who told me again that it needed a new battery, so I bought a new heavy-duty battery & haven't looked back since.
2004 BMW Z4 2.2iSE Auto, Maldives Blue

Z4 Forum AMW

Post by Z4 Forum AMW » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:35 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I took it to my local Kwik Fit to check the battery today and it read about 12.5 volts and over 14 when the engine was running which looks pretty healthy to me....

It ran completely flat when I left it for 2 weeks and I wander whether the battery power it ok but capacity is not??

Also, I recently removed the in car phone from it but left the power cable in so this could be drawing on it and draining it but I can't believe it would use that much power

What do you think?

Z4Golfer

Post by Z4Golfer » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:06 pm

Funnily enough, the Z4 I have just picked up last Saturday has had to go back to the dealer for a number of reasons, one being the car would not start. They are changing the battery and I get it back tomorrow.

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:38 am

Z4 Forum AMW wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Well, I took it to my local Kwik Fit to check the battery today and it read about 12.5 volts and over 14 when the engine was running which looks pretty healthy to me....

It ran completely flat when I left it for 2 weeks and I wander whether the battery power it ok but capacity is not??

Also, I recently removed the in car phone from it but left the power cable in so this could be drawing on it and draining it but I can't believe it would use that much power

What do you think?
It might seem OK if checked just after you've driven it to the mechanic and it's charged a bit; however, if it's not driven for a while (say left at airport) and doesn't hold an adequate charge... it's bu****ed! A new heavy duty battery only costs about £60 supplied & fitted if you know where to go; well worth it presuming that's the problem.
A general thought for the forum: I always have the engine running when operating the soft-top; does anyone activate the hood without the engine running (potentially a huge cumulative drain on the battery)?
2004 BMW Z4 2.2iSE Auto, Maldives Blue

Z4 Forum AMW

Post by Z4 Forum AMW » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:53 pm

Well, I went to my local dealers and they wanted around £90 + VAT just to check the thing and I would of let them had it not been for the fcat that no courtesy car was available for about 3 weeks!

Then I was passing my local ATS and thought i'd get a second opinion - they attached it to a proper Bosch testing thing as opposed to Kwik Fits Voltmeter and it came back unserviceable so I got a new one for about £75 fitted and so far so good!

I'm sure you'll hear again if it doesn't work but thanks for all your help!

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:30 am

Tim wrote:A general thought for the forum: I always have the engine running when operating the soft-top; does anyone activate the hood without the engine running (potentially a huge cumulative drain on the battery)?
The majority of the time, I put the top up and down without the engine running. I can't see that draining the battery to the point where I can't start the car. That would be pretty ridiculous if that were possible, IMO.
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:48 am

takedown8 wrote: The majority of the time, I put the top up and down without the engine running. I can't see that draining the battery to the point where I can't start the car. That would be pretty ridiculous if that were possible, IMO.
I never put it up with the engine running... I have the remote roof module so roof goes down when I'm approaching the car, and up when I'm walking away.... been doing that for 8 months now and never had an issue.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

JBZ4

Post by JBZ4 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:51 pm

I am looking to purchase a non OEM battery for my 2003 Z4 2.5. Does anyone have any suggestions other than the dealer. I know everyone sells batterys, just looking for input on which ones people have been purchasing for their Z's.

Z4 Forum AMW

Post by Z4 Forum AMW » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:10 pm

I also have a 2.5 and the oem battery has just been replaced with a Bosch 7HN at a cost of about £70 - is a straight swap and all covers etc fit exactly.

Albertoxx

Re: Battery Problems

Post by Albertoxx » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:58 pm

I had the same problem with my Alpina.
I purchased a new battery...same problem.
I went to the stealer that replaced alternator...( fortunately everything paid by insurance) ...same problem.
Now I purchased a charger... same problem... but no more stealer :roll:

(it only happens when I'm on vacation or a job travel--> when I leave my Z for a couple of weeks in the garage. Now I know and when it happens I plug the charger and leave the battery under tension)

My wife is Head of R&D and Electronics at Ferrari and she says that they have often the same problem ... so don't cry, we paid much less! :censored:
Alpina Roadster S #89

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Albertoxx wrote:I had the same problem with my Alpina.
I purchased a new battery...same problem.
I went to the stealer that replaced alternator...( fortunately everything paid by insurance) ...same problem.
Now I purchased a charger... same problem... but no more stealer :roll:

(it only happens when I'm on vacation or a job travel--> when I leave my Z for a couple of weeks in the garage. Now I know and when it happens I plug the charger and leave the battery under tension)

My wife is Head of R&D and Electronics at Ferrari and she says that they have often the same problem ... so don't cry, we paid much less! :censored:

Can I have your Wife? :thumbsup:

I don't want a Ferrari, just her brain......
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:38 am

Sounds like a good time to provide a visual...

'07 Imola Red Image Coupé