Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Life with a Z4M Bumper !

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ba3bas

Re: My Life with a Z4M Bumper !

Post by ba3bas » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:28 pm

Bumpy wrote:
ba3bas wrote:Lovely mate..

Just one thing... Change the wheels
Which wheels ?

Im open for advice. I like 108's but don't quite get the huge appeal of CSL's
Neither pal, keep going

Your car is so secy, it deserves a sexy set of shoes.

Depends on your budget

And what size you want
Untitled by Ba3bas, on Flickr

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:51 pm

Cracking post, interesting reading.
New bumper is looking nice, be interesting to see white grills fitted.
:thumbsup:

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Needs black headlights grills and wheels now imo!

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:37 pm

Bumpy wrote: Colour Matched ducts

Black Grills ?

White Grills?
hmmm not sure on the ducts? have you got some more photos?

also i was thinking about the white grills, have u got some more photos of them aswell as i bet they look really good on the car?

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:44 am

Update ...
I caved on the brake ducts and painted them black.
I have never installed the white kidney grills. The chrome trim has been painted shadow chrome.
Maybe I'll put them in for a photo in the near future.

The wheels ?????
After a summer with a wobbly front wheel problem, I have been looking at a change, but it's tough to justify with three good sets already purchased.

Cheers
Bumpy

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:20 am

i wonder if the brake ducts would have looked better in gloss finish like the bumper so it blended in better?

and yea if you get a chance of a few photos of the white grills i would appreciate it, been thinking about this since i saw somebody on here colour match there grills on a light silver car and it looked really good contrasting on the dark cavity behind :)

also annoys me having the fog lights wiring there but no lights, do you have a link to the led fog lights u used?

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:17 pm

Nine Year Update:
Currently the kidney grills are painted Gloss Black.
I lost one entering too hot into a Dairy Queen and the grill on the side with the damaged base popped off and was destroyed.
No problems because I had 2 back up sets. Updated the grill mounts with peel and stick velcro. Worked fine.

I used a piece from the donor bumper to fill in the gap between the under pan and the M bumper. Worked fine.

Fangs appear to be an on going and recurring maintenance chore. It was made even more aggravating when the entrance to the driveway sunk and I couldn't enter or exit without rubbing. (The town reworked the curbs and now all is fine.) Curb and similar road damage actually isn't a huge issue if just the fang is involved. Tape it off and rebuild with body filler and you are good to go. I tried to use a fang skid plate I made out of sheet steel but that just seemed to give additional material to catch on stuff. So until the next time, I'm pleased with the fangs.

Filling in the front reflectors, tow hook port and headlight washer ports have been very successful with absolutely no cracking. Even I'm surprised. I can always drill out the tow hook and install one of those Ebay Tow Hooks, but for now I'm pleased with how it looks.

Only issue currently is stone damage to the lower front bumper. It's minimal but irritating. Also the brake cooling duct LED Fogs work fine but there are many more LED options available today.

So there you have.
Seems like acquiring an M Bumper is the major problem today as compared to 9 years ago. They seem to be ultra rare.

Cheers bumpy

paulc_bkk

Post by paulc_bkk » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:00 am

Bumpy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:17 pm Seems like acquiring an M Bumper is the major problem today as compared to 9 years ago. They seem to be ultra rare.
Thread resurrection!

I know what you mean about rare. I ordered one from the dealer 3 years ago and was advised I could only get the US spec one, which seemed wierd. I filled the reflectors too.

I’ve since been told it’s unobtainable now, but I find that hard to believe considering how many Ms there are out there. That said, after experience of Aero skirts being NLA, I wouldn’t be too surprised.