Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4MC pad advice

"M" Specific discussion
zhastaph

Z4MC pad advice

Post by zhastaph » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a track day coming up in a couple of weeks, last time I took her to a track the stock brake pads were nothing short of shocking - so this time around I'm gonna fit something sensible before I go.

I've decided on a pair of Pagid RS4-2 {Blue} which I was going to get from motorsportworld.co.uk but I they don't really list anything in the way of Pagids for the rear.

So I'm wondering, what do you guys normally do about the rears, fit the same as the fronts or just leave the stock pads on there?

Thankyou, Col

Caddyshk

Re: Z4MC pad advice

Post by Caddyshk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:26 pm

Most will run the OE's on the back - you could go just a touch more aggressive on the rears with AXXIS Ultimates.
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

zhastaph

Post by zhastaph » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Thank you, to be honest I'm only concerned about the balance rather than trying to extract the maximum out of the brakes, so sounds like OE rears is the way I'll go .....

:)

carl

Post by carl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:04 am

Not tried them on a Z, but I had various pads on my old Impreza and the Pagid Blues were the best. Had the braking power of the Mintex 1155s without the squeal and lack of initial bite. EBC Green Stuff were average, Red Stuff were dangerous...

Blacklines

Post by Blacklines » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:55 pm

I have Pagid RS29's on my car but that is with AP brakes. Brilliant pads. No idea if the 29 is available in std caliper sizes tho'.

Sorry to be no help whatsoever!

http://www.pagid.com/

ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:39 pm

Yes. RS29's fit on Z4M standard calipers with standard discs. I run them on my car and they are great (but squeal).

Chris

zhastaph

Post by zhastaph » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:33 pm

carl wrote:Not tried them on a Z, but I had various pads on my old Impreza and the Pagid Blues were the best. Had the braking power of the Mintex 1155s without the squeal and lack of initial bite. EBC Green Stuff were average, Red Stuff were dangerous...
It's funny actualy I've run the same combinations on Imprezas in the past.

I found the 1155s brilliant but crazy when it came to leaving dust on the wheels! I think dangerous is a good description for the first lot of Red Stuffs I ran, when cold you could slow the car better by sticking your foot out the door, but then they changed the compound to a ceramic which was a remarkable improvement. I ran those on both an Impreza and an Esprit and was very happy with them.

carl

Post by carl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:23 pm

zhastaph wrote:I found the 1155s brilliant but crazy when it came to leaving dust on the wheels!
They were worse than that. Hot friction material would come off the pads and stick to the side of the car. Only way to get it off was to use a clay bar, which resulted in lots of rusty-coloured fluid that then had to be washed off.

Pasi

Post by Pasi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Would go with Pagid RS29 also for real track usage, they do squel and atleast with a Roadster need to swap them for track and use stock for street use. I think the Blues are also not real race pads, fast road/trackday pads are just not worth it.

Atleast stay away from EBC if you use the car on the tracks. Sure if you don't drive fast then they are okeyihs, but they are "tuning" stuff rather than race stuff. Here's what happend to my RedStuff Ceramic's on MY05 Impreza STi after some laps at ´Ring:
They were ok on street, even in cold Finland. Just cannot handle the heat when pushing it.
2004 Z4 3.0i | Carfreaks.net | Car News

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Similar question here - about to replace the front pads on mine - I've done one track day, plan on doing a few more and will ultimately make it to the Ring this summer, but its 90% fast road driving.

Seeing as most of the above is track bias, should i stick to the OEM? Answers gratefully received on a postcard.
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

pal

Post by pal » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:01 am

I am planning to run the Ferodo DS2500 all around for the next track event ...

Blacklines

Post by Blacklines » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:22 am

pal wrote:I am planning to run the Ferodo DS2500 all around for the next track event ...
These pads come as standard in the AP kit. I thought they were awful.

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:42 am

I use DS2500's as road pads and RS29's on the track with my AP's. I sometimes leave the 29's in for road use when I'm feeling too lazy to swap them back. They do squeal a bit but they are brilliant!