Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bonnet Catch Won't Open

"M" Specific discussion
exdos

Bonnet Catch Won't Open

Post by exdos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:53 pm

My Z4MC's bonnet has refused to open today. I've tried all the usual tricks, but no joy. I'm going to remove the access panel to the headlamp to see if I can sort this out from inside. I know the mechanism is very clean so it's not gummed up with muck. I've posted the photo of my car and could anyone tell me if it is missing any form of rubber "stops" which I would normally expect to be present. To me, it looks as though there should be something in the hole in the black panel which I've indicated with the green circle.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Zed Five

Re: Bonnet Catch Won't Open

Post by Zed Five » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Have you tried getting a friend to gently press the bonnet down with plams of hands as you pull the cable?
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

exdos

Post by exdos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Zed Five wrote:Have you tried getting a friend to gently press the bonnet down with plams of hands as you pull the cable?
Yes, enlisted the wife. I'm now awaiting the "To Do" list as the price I'll have to pay. :roll:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:21 pm

exdos, looked at mine just to be sure, you don't appear to have anything missing. The only rubber stops are either side of the long rubber strip along the top of the bumper that is part of the metal strip holding the bumper in place. They have spring-loaded screwed-in shafts that push the bonnet up when the front catch is manually released by you - your photo shows both of these stops, and you have both catches. You've put an arrow to one catch, the other is just in front of the washer bottle.

Perhaps one of the Bowden cables (right term ?) that triggers the side catch release has gone ?
Last edited by Bing on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

th30d0r3

Post by th30d0r3 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:23 pm

How crazy, I've just got this exact same issue.

Really need to know how to address this since I gotta top up my oil.
Don't like my red stripes...? Then don't look at them...

Redzedfour
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Redzedfour » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:28 pm

The black plastic panel covering the radiator is missing or did you take that off :?
Previous,Bright Red 2.2 Roadster
Gone 3.0si Sport coupe Auto,Pearl Grey Leather & Piano Black. MODS, Stubby,Aux,Aero Wipers,De-Badged,452's & Led N/P lights

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Redzedfour wrote:The black plastic panel covering the radiator is missing or did you take that off :?
Can't believe I didn't spot that !
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Here's a pic of my catch on the same side so you can see the cable mechansim. Upside down, sorry - but having had more of a look you should be able to get to it through the access panel... Might need the hands of a child to do anything though...

The cable looks and feels like it is slotted into a silver bracket, kind of like the way brakes work on a bike. If the cable has slipped out of the bracket there will be no tension, so I guess it won't pull the catch mechanism when you press the button to open it ? OR the little bullet shaped slide that actually pulls the catch open has gummed up...

Adelphi2

Post by Adelphi2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:43 pm

When you say the bonnet doesn't "open", do you mean it doesn't pop up or that once it's popped up, you can't get the catch to release the bonnet?

daz05

Post by daz05 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that a sharp bang on the bonnet while pulling the handle inside is the way to fix this.

exdos

Post by exdos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Bing wrote:exdos, looked at mine just to be sure, you don't appear to have anything missing. The only rubber stops are either side of the long rubber strip along the top of the bumper that is part of the metal strip holding the bumper in place. They have spring-loaded screwed-in shafts that push the bonnet up when the front catch is manually released by you - your photo shows both of these stops, and you have both catches. You've put an arrow to one catch, the other is just in front of the washer bottle.

Perhaps one of the Bowden cables (right term ?) that triggers the side catch release has gone ?
Bing, Thanks for confirming that I'm not missing any rubber stops. Are those spring loaded shafts you mention not the bonnet sensors for the alarm?

I was working on the air-intake system the other day and I'm wondering if what I've done has fouled the cable, I didn't take too much notice at the time.? :cry: On the positive side though, my air intake mod has been a success. :)

Thanks for your photo of the catch; that's a big help, I now know what I'll be feeling for.:thumbsup: (no smutty comments from anyone required!!!!!!!!!)
th30d0r3 wrote:How crazy, I've just got this exact same issue.
I intend to look at this tomorrow, so I'll report back and take a few photos for you. :thumbsup:
Redzedfour wrote:The black plastic panel covering the radiator is missing or did you take that off :?
That photo was taken sometime ago when I was doing something else to the air-intake. You see, I'm obsessed with air-intakes and devising ways of improving them. :oops: :smart:
Adelphi2 wrote:When you say the bonnet doesn't "open", do you mean it doesn't pop up or that once it's popped up, you can't get the catch to release the bonnet?
The catch releases and the bonnet pops up on the right side, but nothing is happening on the left and it remains locked.
daz05 wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that a sharp bang on the bonnet while pulling the handle inside is the way to fix this.
Tried that too. This is what is now making me think what I did the other day has fouled the mechanism/Bowden cable. Bing's photo of the catch and the short length of cable appearing from the sheath suggests that it wouldn't take much to get in the way to restrict the movement of the cable.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Exdos, the sensor for the alarm is the black plastic box just behind where the firewall braces meet at the back of the bonnet.

One of the screw-in springs on mine pushed all the way through and i had to replace it, so they can fail. However they are not attached in any way to the side catches so I'd suggest that's not the problem.

When you say 'left' do you mean in the photo, or looking forward from the drivers' seat ? Just confused because the intake system is on the right in the photo - my photo is of the left hand side from the perspective of your photo so you need. O reverse it in your head for the other side. I guess it is possible you knocked the cable out of the retaining clip if you are talking about the intake side, but I did give mine a wiggle and it is pretty firmly held... By a plastic grommet, which I suppose could perish.

Shall stop withering now. Happy to help :thumbsup:

exdos

Post by exdos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Bing In my photo, there's an alarm switch at about 4 O'clock in the green circle. That's the part I thought you were referring to as a spring?

When I say "left" I mean Nearside/passenger side just in front of the air-filter box. Once I'd seen your photo of the catch it became much clearer to me, that what I've done is most likely to be the culprit. :( In any event, I'll discover a way to access the catch from inside and then it'll be a "fix" that every one should be able to use. :thumbsup:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 pm

exdos, that's not an alarm, it's the spring / stopper I am referring too. When you finally get into your engine compartment you'll find it is a rubber bung with a thread cut into it and the spring loaded stopper screwed into the middle. There's nothing attached to it - both sides simply push the bonnet up far enough for you to get your fingers under to the centre catch.

Hope you get it sorted :thumbsup:

exdos

Post by exdos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Bing wrote: Hope you get it sorted :thumbsup:
Thanks for all your help. :thumbsup: