Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Egg on paintwork...

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
jenifahaych

Egg on paintwork...

Post by jenifahaych » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:37 pm

So I'm driving home from work in the dark tonight, slow down at a junction to turn left and hear a loud thud and see a splat on my front window... the options are that a pterodactyl flew over and mid flight laid an egg on my car... or some bunch of little scroats (who I couldn't see anywhere) threw an egg at my beautiful Zed that has only been in my possession 6 full days :(

Whilst I guess I'll never know the origin of said egg, I am clear on the fact that it needed to get off my beauty... and pronto. It's been dark since I got in so I can't see if the egg shells caused any tiny scratches...tried to give it a gentle wash down but am dreading taking a look again in daylight in case there are any more permanent marks :(
Z4 sDrive23i Roadster 2.5i, 2010, Manual, Petrol, Space Grey, Coral Red Kansas Leather Interior, Heated Sport Seats, Stubby

pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: Egg on paintwork...

Post by pvr » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Soak it first, warm water etc.

Leave a wet, soaked kitchen tissue on it for a while first to soften it.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:42 pm

If you can wash it down its a good idea, the protein in the egg can do horrible things to paint
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

1postseller

Post by 1postseller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:18 pm

hope it doesn't turn out like this:

a raw egg that took a full bonnet respray to fix where the shell took the paint off down to the primer..

still, they were only kids bless them.......

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 pm

Ok, the OP will have nightmares now then :o
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21 pm

I really hope you get lucky, this happened to me Halloween 2011, the marks haunt me every day :headbang:
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

micz4

Post by micz4 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:22 pm

That's awful.The second thread in as many days about mindless car damage :thumbsdown:
2010 2.3i ,Sapphire Black,Kansas Red Leather,2 years of joy,replaced by Porsche Boxster 2.7

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Had no idea a bit of egg could do so much!

jenifahaych

Post by jenifahaych » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:29 pm

WTF???!??!?!?!? Oh my god!!! I had no idea it could end up like that :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :fightwall: :fightwall: :fightwall: :fightwall:

How long was the egg on for for that to happen? Mine was there around 50 minutes including a motorway stint home which spread it all the way up the bonnet.

I will hunt those little b*stards down and drain the blood from their eyes if my poor baby ends up anywhere near as bad as that :(
Z4 sDrive23i Roadster 2.5i, 2010, Manual, Petrol, Space Grey, Coral Red Kansas Leather Interior, Heated Sport Seats, Stubby

1postseller

Post by 1postseller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:32 pm

the egg was washed off 3 minutes later, it was the shell that did the damage. it just chips the paint off

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 pm

If you've rinsed it off you'll be fine. It's leaving it alone that's the killer. The other thing you've got going for you is there's a good chance the car is waxed so the paint will be better protected

A friends Honda got egged and the paint went crazed. Needed a respray
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:37 pm

1postseller wrote:the egg was washed off 3 minutes later, it was the shell that did the damage. it just chips the paint off
+1 I'm afraid
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

theblues

Post by theblues » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 pm

sorry to hear about this, I did hear you need to take the egg shell of by hand and soak a towel with water and vinegar and place on the egg. hope you get it sorted

1postseller

Post by 1postseller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:49 pm

theblues wrote:sorry to hear about this, I did hear you need to take the egg shell of by hand and soak a towel with water and vinegar and place on the egg. hope you get it sorted

no amount of care removing the shell, (as it was on the windscreen by then), or wax prevented my damage. It may has well have been hit with an axe. :headbang:
Travelling at 30mph into an egg shell coming the other way at a similar speed is going to hurt, even on paintwork.
kids had a great laugh, I had a bill in the £100's and no way of getting it paid...

jenifahaych

Post by jenifahaych » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:00 am

I was still at the point of impact. I've just been back outside and given her another quick wash. I must look like a right loon - it's pitch black out there and -2 degrees and theres me with a bucket, wearing a onesie and rubber gloves washing my car!!!

Bad news is I can see some definite tiny chips on the bonnet where the egg hit. Can't see just how bad it is by iPhone torchlight alone so will have to reinspect in the morning :(

Gutted!!!