Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front end clunk

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
thorpyuk

Re: Front end clunk

Post by thorpyuk » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:19 pm

I had this, and it was just a case of tightening up the strut braces. Not sure of torque settings though
2006 2.5si SE Roadster in metallic dark blue with cream leather interior.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:45 pm

I had this on my old 3.0. I changed all the front bushes and drop links and it still didnt go. Shortly after i sold the car on.
I'm pretty sure it was the top mounts or shocks but never got round to investigating further.
It was quite tricky to replicate as you only heard it over rough ground going slowly.
Good luck!
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 pm

I had this too. It was a front spring not sat properly, so every now and again it made a clunk when it shifted on the mount. Jacked up, twist it to sit right, back down carefully all gone

Sent from my HTC One X
3.0i

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:44 pm

thorpyuk wrote:I had this, and it was just a case of tightening up the strut braces. Not sure of torque settings though
Have already re torqued the strut braces, they were fine.
Dreamer wrote:I had this on my old 3.0. I changed all the front bushes and drop links and it still didnt go. Shortly after i sold the car on.
I'm pretty sure it was the top mounts or shocks but never got round to investigating further.
It was quite tricky to replicate as you only heard it over rough ground going slowly.
Good luck!
The noise is hard to describe a sort of clunk/knock type sound and as you said it is hard to replicate. However this morning drove my usual route to work and at the place I can usually replicate it, I went round the block 4 times. Each time I could replicate the knock/clunk at around 22mph, which gave me a better opportunity to try and home in on the location of the sound. I can feel or might be imagining it a slight judder/vibration on the steering wheel, only slight though and only when I replicate the sound. The knock/clunk noise sounds to be coming from the steering column or area close by. Again the closest think to the sound I can describe is if you have a worn suspension stabilising link bar, sort of hollowish knock/clunk sound if you have every had one go you will know what I mean. Locating the noise is driving me nuts :headbang: :headbang:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

ricknau

Post by ricknau » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:23 pm

I just bought a 2006 3.0si and it has exactly all the sounds/symptoms you describe. Taking it to my local indy today. He's experienced with BMW and Porsche and very trustworthy. I'll report back on the outcome.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Thats it swifty, seemed to come from behind the steering column. Anyone who hadnt driven the car before probably wouldnt notice it but when you know it didnt make that noise before then you know its there.

Its like a loose conection between the steering and wheels.....somewhere :headbang:

ricknau

Post by ricknau » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:10 am

Swiftly wrote:Well I checked the strut brace bolts and they are all seem nice and tight. Had a quick look at front spring and it seems ok. although to see it properly I will need to take the wheel off once it stops raining. Will get the car booked in for the stealer to check, hopefully its covered under warranty!

Well I got my clunking sound fixed. Mechanic said he just tightened several braces. He mentioned body braces and any others that he could find. Said none were noticably loose but torqued down on them anyway. Whatever he did it fixed it for me.

The more I read your posts it seems your problem might not be an exact match to mine. Mine clunks were at 10mph or less when I would turn the wheel and especially if there was the slightest bump or rise or drop off like turning into or out of a driveway.

Hope you get it fixed. Seems like the warranty would have you covered.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks all, the noise I have is exactly like you all have said and it appears to be getting slightly louder and more constant :( especially over small bumps at low speeds. Not a bad thing as at least the mechanic will be able to hear it, so I am planning to get it booked into the garage in the next couple of weeks to get it sorted hopefully. :)

I will update once it has been looked at

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Took car to stealers this morning. Sods law but I couldn't get the car to reproduce the knocking noise, obviously the roads in their area are better than in mine! Mechanic checked and tightened some braces. Greased some minor joint in the steering area, he did tell me what it was, but have forgotten its name :oops:. Mechanic couldn't find anything loose or worn, he even checked the exhaust pipe wasn't catching and knocking. I was hoping they would find something worn that required replacing. Guess only time will tell if it is sorted or will result in me taking the car going back if the noise becomes more consistant.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:19 pm

Sadly I'm not surprised!

I don't mean to put you down but I bet it's still there! I had mine at the garage a couple of times and no resolve. But to reassure you it's not normal your not imagining it! My new car doesnt do it at all.

I had everything checked and changed apart from top mounts and steering rack. Left me thinking it HAD to be one or the other.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32 am

Dreamer wrote:Sadly I'm not surprised!

I don't mean to put you down but I bet it's still there! I had mine at the garage a couple of times and no resolve. But to reassure you it's not normal your not imagining it! My new car doesnt do it at all.

I had everything checked and changed apart from top mounts and steering rack. Left me thinking it HAD to be one or the other.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Well Dreamer you are 100% correct, I traveled my usually route to work this morning, and guess what, yip the clunking/knocking started. To be honest it didn't sound as loud, but the proof will be the journey home tonight. The more I try and home in on the noise the more it sounds like it is coming from the steering rack area. Again it is only at slow speeds and on cobbled or crap roads. I tried recording the sound but no joy as it picked up to much background noise from within the car. It doesn't effect the driving of the car, just the enjoyment of it and is so frigging annoying :headbang:

Dean'o

Front end clunk

Post by Dean'o » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:06 am

Just to add to this thread I got exactly same problem on E85. Have replaced everything top strut mounts control arms drop links even replaced steering rack with another, it was a another second hand one. My old rack had pitted and worn the Bush and it did have play in it. New (second hand rack) was in a lot better condition than my old one. Wondering if the actual strut itself is loose. Bloody annoying