Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Strange interior heating problem SORTED

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Marius

Re: Strange interior heating problem SORTED

Post by Marius » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 pm

not really , but i did three time just to make sure it's all good

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 pm

great news :-) Keep an eye on it for any leaks.... fingers crossed mate!
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

chessmaster

Post by chessmaster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 pm

I've just noticed the same issue with my 3.0 e85, my feet are being cooked at the moment. Almost doesn't matter what auto temp I set the climate to it always blowing out hot air. Unless I set it to coldest then the blower starts pumping out cold air which us a relief.

Would i be correct in saying i need attach a 5l full bottle of water as quick as possible to the coolent inlet, then rev engine repeatedly until no more bubbles are showing?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 pm

the z4 i think has electric motorised controls for the heating as in my compact it worked mechanicall e.g when you grab the knob you can feel it moving the flaps on the heater box :o lol so in the z4 it sounds like the motor is stuck or not working correctly. I would say its not the same problem as the OP as that problem is airlock in the system somewhere causing the whole heater to blow hot and cold depending on engine speed etc. I have had it in the z4 where i rotate the direction controls from floor to windscreen and it has stayed blowing on the floor, rotating the dial all the way round a few times usually fixed this, it usually happens when i havent touched the controls in months same with the temp control. My guess is either the potentiometer behind the knobs need cleaning or motor is defective/stuck on something.

Now if someone says that the z4 is also mechanically controlled i'll be surprised as i have not ever checked this theory out !
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

JonathanFenton

Post by JonathanFenton » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 am

I know its an old thread but just wondering if that it was a long term fix? All the posts i've read seem to suggest that the heater core is in two halves and one half that does the passenger side is blocked? I get fairly hot air on the drivers side when holding high revs but stone cold air on the passenger side what ever I do. Its a singular climate, its acting like its a dual climate control.

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Yes was a long term fix for me, if you find it happens again then you have a leak somewhere in the system. When I say leak If there is nothing on your driveway then its possible it comes out as steam. I changed the expansion tank a few years back as there was a hairline crack in it, I only found where the crack was by letting the car get up to tempreture on a freezing cold night then look around everything in the engine bay with a torch, i could see steam coming out the tiny crack. Another thing to look for is white residue on all the cooling system parts.

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:32 pm

I have this same issue. I put the car on ramps on my sloped drive and removed bleed screw etc. I massaged the pipes and quite a few bubbles came from the bleed screw hole but the top hose to the heater matrix still felt pretty empty as if it had air in it rather than full of water. I can’t rely see how I could get the air from that part to be honest even though the car was at a big incline. Any tips?
2004 E85 3.0 Sterling Grey

colb

Post by colb » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:55 pm

Have had success using a vacuum bleeding set on my Z's but you do need a compressor to run it. It certainly evacuates the whole system to a vacuum and collapses the water hoses. When refilling it simply sucks the mixed coolant back into the system and ensures it fills the heater matrix.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305324381282 ... R7T1ibS9Yw
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:02 pm

That’s a very good idea and not expensive either. I don’t a compressor. Would something like this do the job?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/wiz-min ... pressor-2/

colb

Post by colb » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:28 pm

Really depends on your budget and what use you want from a compressor, I have a 50litre unit I bought from Machine Mart years ago it runs air tools, tyre inflation and the coolant bleeding kit. If you just want tyre inflation and coolant bleeding you would probably be looking at a unit under £100. Loads on ebay like this which would fit the bill, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223515304888 ... R4Krp7m9Yw
You will have to get some airline and fittings to suit and a tyre inflation gun, probably worth buying a kit of tools that includemost tools you would want.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... acat=34998
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

Post by colb » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:33 pm

The Machine Mart one looks a bit small would look for one with higher pressure output to be really useful.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:23 pm

Thanks for your advice. I want to stock up a bit on some tools as in situations like this I want to be able to sort it myself rather than put it into a garage. I’ve not done my own car fettling for years, but bought the zed with the idea of being able to do some of my own stuff on it.

My own attempts at bleeding the coolant haven’t worked, think I’ll try hosing out the matrix next as I know the last plonker who owned the car put some kind of stop leak stuff in it instead of getting the waterpump replaced in some kind of misguided god knows what attempt at sorting the cooling system. Obviously that didn’t fix the waterpump. I’ve now changed the waterpump and thermostat. I suspect the heater matrix may be sludged up with the crap from this stop leak gunk that he used which might be affecting the water flow through it.

Or it’s just a big airlock. One or the other. Maybe both.

colb

Post by colb » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:58 pm

Good for you, doing jobs yourself is a great money saver over garage costs these days. Most jobs on the Z are easy enough as long as you are armed with a decent code reader and a socket set plus a set of Torx bits and sockets in addition to a set of open end and ratchet spanners. Good idea to flush the heater matrix out and check its flowing ok. Hope you don't have to strip it out to replace it that's a job and a half.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:23 pm

Yeah me too! I do have a few tools already back from my old fiat coupe days. I’ve bought a code reader for the zed. Cleared off some historical codes but not needed it since. Handy to have though.

I got a bit disheartened today in case I’ve bought a pup but took my daughter out for a bit of a drive down the lanes and felt better. I have to say I do love the sound when I’m giving it some. She was complaining about being cold her side but I was roasting my side! Anyway will get on with flushing it this week and get some tools bought and will update. Hopefully it will be straightforward.

Joez4

Post by Joez4 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:30 pm

BigDaddy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:23 pm Yeah me too! I do have a few tools already back from my old fiat coupe days. I’ve bought a code reader for the zed. Cleared off some historical codes but not needed it since. Handy to have though.

I got a bit disheartened today in case I’ve bought a pup but took my daughter out for a bit of a drive down the lanes and felt better. I have to say I do love the sound when I’m giving it some. She was complaining about being cold her side but I was roasting my side! Anyway will get on with flushing it this week and get some tools bought and will update. Hopefully it will be straightforward.
My car has the same problem, warm at best passenger side but roasting drivers side, I changed most the cooling system due to leaks and flushed it several times but I also suspect previous owner put some sort of leak stop in as the water pump was practically welded to the block, without changing the heater matrix I don't think you can get it any better
04 2.2i Sapphire Black Roadster