Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen Wiper Fail..

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Windscreen Wiper Fail..

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:08 pm

firewire75 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:47 pm I have same problem with mine now wiper relay replaced but still happening I’ve been told it could be an electrical fault, they work once I stop then restart engine but only work for about 2 to 3 mins then stop again happened to me on m6 yesterday in torrential rain , was pretty scary tbh my car is an e85 2.5i 2006 facelift model
Does anyone have any ideas I’m taking her to the garage next Monday I want to sound like I have lots of information so they can get it right as cheap as possible
Many thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum.
If you read the post one above yours you'll see the potential answer. Not a relay, but grease on the contacts. Try cleaning that up and se what happens.
Whereabouts are you? Might be someone close by who can do it a lot cheaper than a garage?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

firewire75

Windscreen Wiper Fail..

Post by firewire75 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:53 pm

I’m based in Preston area

colb

Windscreen Wiper Fail..

Post by colb » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:10 pm

Shame you are too far away from me otherwise I would have offered to do it down here in Zedshed Cymru, simple enough to take the scruttle cover off and take the wiper motor out with the linkages then take the backplate off and clean the grease off the contact plate. Doing this would be the first course of action before throwing parts at it.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

firewire75

Windscreen Wiper Fail..

Post by firewire75 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:42 pm

Great thank you

marktjm3

Windscreen Wiper Fail..

Post by marktjm3 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:19 pm

colb wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:54 pm Wow old thread revival, not surprising given how much rain we have been having of late.
Usual causes of wipers playing up are due to grease migration from the worm drive that spreads over the metal electrical contact plate inside the motor housing, often causing bad wiper parking when switched off. The grease interferes with the electrical contact causing the motor to be delayed in switching off and stopping the wipers in the wrong place. Simple remedy is to remove the wiper unit as a whole after taking the wiper arms off and removing the scuttle cover to reveal the whole unit which is secured by two bolts/nuts and one plastic clip in the centre. Lift the unit out and turn it over, remove the six bolts off the cover plate to reveal the inner workings. Clean all the grease off the metal contact plate thats revealed to restore the good electrical contact. The worm drive only needs a minimum amount of grease on it so dont put too much on it or it will migrate again causing the same issue with parking in the wrong place.
The other issue that arises is the linkage popping off their ball joints, you can restore them using a repair clip that can be obtained on ebay here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E85-E ... SwTqtd94mW
Well worth taking the scuttle cover off annually to clean the end and centre scuttle drains and dosn't take long to pull the wipers out to clean the grease off whilst your in there.
Thank you!

Same problem and this worked.

The toughest part was removing the scuttle, as the fixings had degenerated

colb

Windscreen Wiper Fail..

Post by colb » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:38 am

Yes the clips usually break as you get the scuttle cover off, best to arm yourself with a set of replacement clips from BMW if you are doing this job.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=51_4961
Items 28, 2 and 6 are the clips and rivit fittings used on the cover.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url