Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Evening all!

First port of call for new members
Kav

Evening all!

Post by Kav » Mon May 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi

I'm making a return to the BMW fold after a 3 year gap. Started off with a company supplied E46 330D saloon (cracking car), followed by a privately funded E39 528 (best car I've ever had :D ) which I sold with 185,000 on the clock - the compression on all 6 cylinders was still within factory limits 8) . The last BMW I had was a E61 520D which was a fantastic long-legged load carrier but not the most exciting thing on 4 wheels.

I had a couple of mediocre company cars and then decided I needed something to soften the blow of turning 49 and got myself an '00 4.5 TVR Chimaera last year. I've loved the car but it's a handful and Mrs K doesn't enjoy wrestling with it :driving: . However, she loves a soft top and a 3.0 Z4 ('05 or '06) looks like a great choice.

I've got a stack of questions (I'll use the search button first) but I'd be interested to get people's views on the stock auto box vs. the SMG. The auto on my E39 was a steptronic AGS and it was an absolute peach. I drove a mate's E36 M3 with a 1st generation SMG box which wasn't an easy drive but once you mastered it - fantastic! I wonder how they've evolved.

I'd also be interested to know the main differences between the SE and Sport specs - are they mainly cosmetic?

TIA

Cheers
Kav
"Nix fur bremser!"
Present - '06 3.0Si auto, Monaco Blue metallic, cream hide, anthracite chrome line, hi-fi loudspeaker system, bi-xenons, PDC, CC, aux in, Gap Tech.
Past - '05 3.0 auto, Maldives Blue, tan hide, sat nav, mem seats, PDC.

ThePenguin

Re: Evening all!

Post by ThePenguin » Mon May 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Welcome to the forums Kav :driving:
Current: Z4R 2006 3.0si sport - Silver; Bi-Colour (Black/Blue) interior
Mods (so far :D ) Bluetooth; Aux; Stubby :)

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Mon May 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Welcome to the clubhouse!
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Mon May 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Kav, welcome to the forum... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Mon May 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Welcome Kav. Personal experience, manual Is fantastic but I hear the SMG box is pretty cool and responsive too. Wouldnt want to pay for repairs on one if it went really wrong though as apparently ludicrously expensive to sort out. That said I dont think Ive seen anything on here, just stories of E46 ///M SMG.

Good luck with the search :thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Tue May 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi Kav-did you used to hang out on BMWLand?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Tue May 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Hello and welcome aboard :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Kav

Post by Kav » Tue May 29, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks All! :thumbsup:

Hi andysat - good to hear from you! Yes indeed - spent a lot of time on BMWland when I had the E39. Fantastic and friendly forum where I learned loads of stuff - de-chroming, fitting angel eye headlights, front centre armrest, general maintenance, tips and tricks - saved me a fortune and I had a load of fun doing it.

Started buying research in earnest and there are a lot of tasty cars around. I'm sticking the Chimaera on Pistonheads tomorrow and if you know of anyone who fancies changing marques from BMW to TVR, please point them my way.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Kav
"Nix fur bremser!"
Present - '06 3.0Si auto, Monaco Blue metallic, cream hide, anthracite chrome line, hi-fi loudspeaker system, bi-xenons, PDC, CC, aux in, Gap Tech.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue May 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Welcome to the forum Kav :thumbsup:

Can't help with the SMG point of view, but I have the tiptronic auto box with paddles and having had a few auto cars I have to say it is the smoothest I have ever driven. Very quick, barely noticable changes in full auto that just make the car feel like it is constantly accelerating. Pulls like a train. You seem to be able to learn how to 'make' the gearbox shift up or down through different behaviour on the accelerator too, depending on how you want to drive. In sport / manual auto you can get it to behave reasonably close to a manual box with more aggressive upshifts and, with practice and confidence in the mechanicals, engine braking on downshifts. I love it - you should drive one :driving:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Tue May 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Welcome mate :driving:

Kav

Evening all!

Post by Kav » Wed May 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks Both

Bing - interesting. Did steptronic come with paddles as standard?

Cheers
Kav
"Nix fur bremser!"

shortfuse 2

Post by shortfuse 2 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:05 pm

hi and welcome to the madhouse :thumbsup:

Drshemming

Post by Drshemming » Wed May 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi and welcome, I have an 04 3.0i auto and love it, the auto changes are very smooth and relaxed, when sport is selected everything just speeds up and becomes really well....sporty, in sport mode the manual changes on the auto are good, but not the same as a manual car, but I drive like miss daisy so the auto just suits me fine and sport mode just now again :wink:
E85 3.0si Sport, Manual.

Sold many years ago - E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i, Auto, MFSW, Heated Seats, Cruise, DSP, GapTech Remote Roof, 108s, 107s, Bluetooth, Leatherz Armrest, stubby de tango'd.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Wed May 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Welcome along to the fun house :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Wed May 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Welcome to the forum !!! :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z